xisto Community
Chris181m

Joomla! The Easiest Content Manager!

Joomla! is something I've recently discovered that is wonderful for creating/managing a website if you have access to a SQL database. It really is self explanatory; however, you may have to spend some time learning the ins and outs of the package to get the full benefits of it. There are many templates for it and there are a ton of different additional apps available for it that allow ecommerce capability and many other features to the ones that are included by default.CM

Joomla is indeed a very good content mananagement system, I've already helped creating two websites (and templates) using Joomla and I'm very happy with it, at least it's a lot less complex as drupal and more relaxed (I couldn't find the right word, but I just mean that you can use joomla for websites that don't look so boring and serious like a company's website) than postnuke.

Joomla is a web application, this means that you'll need a webserver that can process the files. If you want to host it on your own pc, then you can install xammp, this will install a webserver, php support and a database (all are needed to run joomla). Then some more steps are required to make it available to the outside (like opening a port, linking your public ip to a domain name).

Yeah lol joomola is ok the only thing i dont really like it my self but its still good i supose if i learned how to work it i wold like it lol the thing i cant work out on there is how to change the layout on your joomola site if i could do that i would use it for my site if any one knows plz message me back Cheers

Changing "layout" in Joomla sites is all about the template.The template includes all the html..css..graphics..to load your joomla site in different "styles"A good place to start is somewhere like http://www.rockettheme.com/ they have lots of "paid" templates but also some free ones to choose from.Google Joomla templates and you see theres a whole industry at work to supply templates for teh Joomla community.Hope this helps..Mark;)

This could be me being lazy, but I use Dreamweaver to create all of my web sites. It does sound pretty interesting, but if doesn't do anything that Dreamweaver does not do, then I really don't think that I will try it... But if there might be little cool 'quorks' that Joomla does solo, then I would be interested in playing around with the site.I do like to try new things, but if it not anything that I can do already, then I guess I really wouldn't waste my time... But if it works well for you all, I hope you enjoy it!- skedad -

Habble, you make a template, or if you don't know how, you use someone elses. Do you actually even know what "joomlola" is and how to use it? If you don't understand it, you're not going to get far with it. I made a site (along with the template) that uses Joomla, http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ except I made it months ago and since I've gotten better with Joomla. I'm not going to help you, I don't have time and before you do anything you need to actually make a template for a site like normal first with XHTML and css.Skekad, Joomla is nothing like dreamweaver. Dreamweaver is just for creating website with a WYSIWYG editor or code, and puting it all together and adding content manually. Joomla is a CMS (content management system) which handles most things for you. You create a template, set it up on a server and write content with the editor. It's quicker than using Dreamweaver.I'm thinking of making a Joomla resource site, my components/modules/plugins, my templates (free and commercial ones) and help/tutorials.