xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

Project Virgle

Google is looking for people to participate in Project Virgle, which will establish a permanent human colony on Mars in 2014. A long-term plan has been put in place, however this may change with further information: https://www.google.com/virgle/plan_1.html.

To apply as a participant, you need to fill out the questionnaire on this page: https://www.google.com/virgle/application.html. You must also submit a YouTube video of why you want to live on Mars here: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/.

This planet will become open-source, as described here https://www.google.com/virgle/opensource.html . This will be a good thing as companies and other organizations would share and contribute to everything on things like inventions and new research, etc.

If you have any questions, there is an FAQ https://www.google.com/virgle/faq.html, which will lead you to this.

Have fun! :)

I do not believe it is possible to start a permanent human colony on Mars in 2014. I also believe that who have minimum idea about establish a permanent human colony outside the world, will never believe it. It is 2008, and they have only 6 years. Do not they know what the distance between the world and Mars is? How long it needs to reach mars from the world? What is their preparation? They did not sent any living animal on Mars. How will they manage the most important oxygen, water and food for human? Establish a permanent human colony on Mars in 2014 is not possible by anyone. It may be possible in dream, but not in real life. If they tell that they are trying to establish a permanent human colony on Mars in 2114 (after 100 years), it may be believable.

United States is having problems taking care of itself let alone trying to support other nations... I would like to be excited about a new planet colony, but that would be nice to watch on SciFi...I agree above seeing that in 100 or so years, that life would be different, and that space travel may be like on the movies and TV. But I think Earth needs to be taken care of first...Not to totally buzzkill the postings, but it just doesn't seem to make a bit of sense... Some day maybe... Maybe some really rich person could start sponsoring it...- skedad -

Google does typically have some elaborate April fools pages. Last year I was on a board where a couple people thought the Google toilet internet was real.

Sorry, but the page you're looking for doesn't actually exist. Why? Well, because...we didn't have time to build it. Because we didn't think that particular page was all that important. Because this is just an early version of the Virgle site and lots more pages will be coming down the pike as the project --
-- oh, all right. Fine. April Fool's. Ha, ha, ha. It isn't real. There. Are you happy? Does it please you to drag us out of our lovely little fantasy world, to crush all our hopes and dreams? Is that really what you need to hear? Fine, you've heard it. Virgle isn't real.

Yet.

That is funny though.

Yeah, sure, Google. I'm totally going to do that...now, if only you had some more conclusive plans.

Google does typically have some elaborate April fools pages. Last year I was on a board where a couple people thought the Google toilet internet was real.

You know, at some point Google released an April fool's joke about printing your email. I was immensely amused upon hearing so, and, nearly believing it was real, went and did a little search. Pity that Google won't perform such a service for us...hey look, my inbox is just waiting to be nicely formatted on printer paper...Google!
The survey part of it does make it seem more real. I do wonder how many people will actually believe this, considering all the wacky things Google has done. (Though, evidently, this one would take the wackiest prize of all if it were actually carried out.) Nonetheless, Google's best April Fool's is probably still the Gmail joke, because, after all, that one turned out to be real, which was probably even more of an April Fool's joke than the original. Hah.

A poor april fools, even US isn't planning to visit, let alone a base, by something like 2035.

Yeah, I really think they also over exaggerated on the whole Virgle thing. It made me chuckle for a second but as I kept clicking links and saw the whole YouYube thing and Richard Branson and all that stuff it got pretty lame pretty fast =/