xisto Community
Feelay

Diablo 2 In Linux? possible or not?

Hey!Sorry if this should be in the game forum, but it is about a game in Linux. And I need help with it :) so I thougt that it belongs to here.So.. Is it possible to install Diablo 2 on Linux using some sort of patch, or any special software? Not just diablo. But other games too, that only works on Windows.Thanks //Feelay

No idea how to install it =/ or where to get it, or how to use it :) sorry for being so noobish :) but you know me when It comes to new stuff ;)

I expected you to already have installed the Wine environtment, learned how to use it, and tried to install the Diablo 2 for Windows in the Wine environment.
OK, let's start my tutorial. Unfortunately I don't have currently any Linux system available for crashing, next availability for my tests is end of May, so I simply tell you what I should do if I had the opportunity to test it.
First of all you download wine from here :
https://www.winehq.org/

Wine is an Open Source implementation of the Windows API on top of X, OpenGL, and Unix.
Think of Wine as a compatibility layer for running Windows programs. Wine does not require Microsoft Windows, as it is a completely free alternative implementation of the Windows API consisting of 100% non-Microsoft code, however Wine can optionally use native Windows DLLs if they are available. Wine provides both a development toolkit for porting Windows source code to Unix as well as a program loader, allowing many unmodified Windows programs to run on x86-based Unixes, including Linux, FreeBSD, Mac OS X, and Solaris.

when you installed it, you open a Linux command-line box, and you type "wine". In the box appearing, you click "configure wine", there are several modes, the most dangerous one is the one I would choose : using your existing windows install, mounted as a Linux filesystem. Then you configure it, choose the look-and-feel (of course I would choosle the Win98 look).
And then you install your application.
Have a look at the list of tested software here : https://appdb.winehq.org/
You will see that Counter-strike is there, as well as Half-life 2, command and conquier, and a lot of other ones. So, probably Diablo 2 should work, if not have a look at the way the other games have been installed, and/or ask questions at the wine forum. Or even better, on the Xisto forum.
Hope this helped.
Yordan
:)

Which version of linux are you running? Based on that you haven't installed wine and didn't know how (nothing wrong with this, just leads to an observation) is it safe to assume you are running one of the more "new to linux" friendly ones? If so, linux's like Ubuntu or Fedora very likely simply have packages that install and set up wine for you, then its a very quick matter of running the installer using wine and voila, it will (likely) work with little or no effort. That it received platinum on the site and is an older game I doubt it'll be hard to get it running using Wine. Good luck and enjoy.

jeigh. I am using ubuntu 7.10 (or something). so you mean that wine is already there, ready to be installed :)and BTW: Thank you yordan, and xboxrulez, for your answers :)

jeigh. I am using ubuntu 7.10 (or something). so you mean that wine is already there, ready to be installed :)

I'm absolutely not familiar with Ubuntu, but...If I correctly undersand Jeigh's answer, you don't need to download the "wine" software from the internet, the package is already included in your Ubuntu distribution, on the CD's or on the ftp server if you used the network install. So, you simply have to use the ubuntu installer in order to install wine on your PC.

I think (maybe I know where from to install it).there is a thing (ike windows) named add/remove software.. It can be done from there I think.BTW. I didn't use a cd.. I installed a file that would boot on the windows startup and load the installer. then I just installed it.

Edited by Feelay (see edit history)

Replying to Feelay Ok open terminal type "sudo apt-get install wine" you will be asked for your password assuming you are root, that will be no prob. After that finishes you should be good to go just open the setup.Exe or install.Exe file and either right click then go to open with wine or simply left click once or twice depending on your settings, it will install just like on you old windows OS-reply by CrazyJ

Help also :PDiablo 2 In Linux?

Why when I run diablo 2 in windows mode and I click out of screen it freezes and wont let me do anything. I have to esc hit ^ arrow then enter and esc esc esc to close it to restart..

Running on ubuntu 8.10 Please and ty 

Replying to xboxrulzwhere can I find a legit DL of the copy they got workin through wine I've downloaded a few through torrents and they wont work through wine I didn't think they would but at wine hq it wont let me download soo if u could post a link or somthing tht would b fantastic