xisto Community
Feelay

What Softwares Should I Get To Linux? Need help from all the Gurus out there :P

Hey!I've just downloaded and installed ubuntu (sorry Yordan. That was the only one that didn't need a CD).Now I have some questions.What Anit-virus and Anti-Spyware should I use (or don't I need any for Linux?)?.What 2D/3D editor can I use to create/change pictures and things?What Audio Editor can I use to create/change songs and things?What Web-broswer can I use for Linux? (or can it also use fire-fox?).Is there any MSN for Linux? or does it use something else, that can write to people using MSN?And if there is anything else I need to get, I would really like you to post it here :) If I think of something else, I will add it here.OFC: Write the name of the software, and if you can, add a link, please. Because I am sure that many more people than me will find this usefull.Thanks :) //Feelay

Edited by Feelay (see edit history)

sorry Yordan. That was the only one that didn't need a CD

Don't worry : it worked, I'm happy.By the way, firefox works fine on linux.
and there are a lot of msn clients. gaim is probably the most famous. and have a look arount your ubunto distro, there could be one instant messenger already embedded amongst the internet tools.

hmm.. I got a messenger called pidgin or something.. but It don't have the msn tools I want. anyone who knows any add-ons that can make it look more like msn, or.. anyone who knows another messenger that looks almost exactly like msn and have exactly the same tools?Thanks //Feelay

I believe there is a av or firewall program on Ubuntu, Wikipedia says AppArmour. Don't be afraid to use wine, I don't like pidgin or most of the alternatives I've seen.

What is Wine :S?Is it a messenger? Because when I tryed to read how to install a windows game on linux, they said something about wine.. but I didn't find anything that I understood when I searched for it.

Brutally speaking, Wine is a windows emulator for Linux.So, like in the old good times when some games could play on really IBM-compatible PC's and crashed on partily IBM-compatible PC's, now some Windows environments work correctly with wine, and some not.Exactly as when some people drink wine, some of them can walk and the other ones fall down.So, it's simply a funny game, you install wine and you install your software (Crosoft word reader for instance) and look which ones work correctly and which ones don't.--------------P.S. Total respect to all Ubuntu and Wine lovers, please feel free to explain the thing with more gentle words. :)