xisto Community
Feelay

Can't Access Root Anymore =(

I have installed ubuntu. and it worked to install.. but... =( I replaced the root user.. I don't know how =(I wanted to crete a new user as a book said(but I made it the same name as the root user (my root was named feelay, and I created a user named feelay) =( without thinking). But it didn't work. then i logged out and in again. And I tryed to create a user. and now it says "only a root user can create accounts". Please help =( Any Linux Guru. I am stuck =(And BTW ..When I made a partition, a had do change the system of my bigger partition (the D Partition.) to be able to install linux. now I can't see it when I am on windows anymore. Why =( Is there any way to get it back, or will I only be able to see it in Linux from now on =( ?Please help guys. I am really stuck at the moment =(

Edited by Feelay (see edit history)

Hi, Feelay,OK, two things because two separate problems :1) Do you have a user which can open a Linux command line box ? Then, in this box, type"su - root"(without the quotes).Please tell me if when typing "su - root" you see Linux asking for the root password, and, if you remember the root password, tell me if Linux accepted it. Then, when the root password is accepted, type "id" or "whoami" in order to verify that you are effectively root.If you cannot su - root, the best thing is to re-install Linux.2) Then comes my second point. If you re-install Linux, before doing that, try to erase all the Linux partitions from your bigger disk (Partition Magic does that very well) and create a Windows partition which does not use the whole disk (typically leave 10 gig or 20 gig not fromatted, for instance on a 250 Gig disk create a 200 gig partition, leaving 50 gig unformatted for Linux).Then, when installing Linux, do not choose "automatically use the whole disk", but choose "give the rest of the disk to Linux". Then you will be able to see your big disks, both from Linux and from Windows.3) As a comment, I would also create on my big disk a FAT32 partition. This FAT32 partition is useful because both Windows and Linux know how to write on this disk, so it can be your main communication partition. On my own system, this partition is the windows D: partition and under Linux it's named "/mount/windows2".

Hi, Feelay,OK, two things because two separate problems :
1) Do you have a user which can open a Linux command line box ? Then, in this box, type
"su - root"
(without the quotes).
Please tell me if when typing "su - root" you see Linux asking for the root password, and, if you remember the root password, tell me if Linux accepted it. Then, when the root password is accepted, type "id" or "whoami" in order to verify that you are effectively root.
If you cannot su - root, the best thing is to re-install Linux.
2) Then comes my second point. If you re-install Linux, before doing that, try to erase all the Linux partitions from your bigger disk (Partition Magic does that very well) and create a Windows partition which does not use the whole disk (typically leave 10 gig or 20 gig not fromatted, for instance on a 250 Gig disk create a 200 gig partition, leaving 50 gig unformatted for Linux).
Then, when installing Linux, do not choose "automatically use the whole disk", but choose "give the rest of the disk to Linux". Then you will be able to see your big disks, both from Linux and from Windows.
3) As a comment, I would also create on my big disk a FAT32 partition. This FAT32 partition is useful because both Windows and Linux know how to write on this disk, so it can be your main communication partition. On my own system, this partition is the windows D: partition and under Linux it's named "/mount/windows2".

Hmm... Thanks Yordan =)
I Solved the root problem. it wasn't gone. it was locked. so I had to use the command "sudo adduser <name>" and it worked. I am using Ubuntu =)
But. Do I have to re-insatll linux do fix the partition problem =( because it takes time =( (and can I do it without formatting the harddsik.. again..)
And another question is: Is there any way to add graphics to Ubuntu, or is it 100% text-based? Because now, it is like looking at a full-screen command prompt for me =/
Edited by Feelay (see edit history)

1) Concerning the space problem :Look if Ubunto formatted the whole disk or if it left part of the disk unformatted.If there is some place left, you can use the Disk Manager from Microsoft Windows in order to add a partition.If there is no more space left, use Partition Magic in order to shrink the Linux partition, freeing disk space, and create a FAT32 partition on the freed space.2) Ubuntu should be graphic. Your install was unsuccessful or you installed only part of the Ubuntu CD, or you had a restricted version.If it was not easy to start graphics, I would suggest that you restart from scratch with Mandriva, which is very close to Ubuntu but automatically installs KDE et and activates the access to the Microsoft Windows disks.If you don't want to re-install Linux, try to add the missing modules, probably X-Windows and KDE, but it will need a lot of time because you will not have the whole automated features brought with Mandriva or RedHat installer, which automatically installs everything in Ethernet DHCP mode and starts a KDE graphics session.