xisto Community
xboxrulz1405241485

Stable Gpu Temperatures

I don't usually overclock system components, but my ATi Radeon chip comes with an overclocker function built into the control panel, so I press the Auto Tune button to change the settings to make my GPU faster.Right now the settings are:GPU Clock: 780 MHzMemory Clock: 515 MHzTemperature: 44 C idleStock:GPU Clock: 725 MHzMemory Clock: 500 MHzTemperature: 44 C idleIs this good? No, I don't have any custom fans, all my fans are stock fans.xboxrulz

I think it's safe to leave it like that, the overclocking software is assuming you have stock cooling, or if not then it attempted to change the clock rates and found that setup to be OK (stable)I'm guessing that software also lets you input your own rates if you wanted to, that's when you need to replace your cooling fans.Now, at most you could get artifacts while playing a game, then you'll know your settings are a little bit too high, but IMO that shouldn't happen because it wasn't a radical change of clock rates.good luck though!

Idle temperature will not be affected much by clock setting, unless it's a radical change. You should check your temperature when playing game. Or you can run 3Dmark. With a fix run time, take note of the temperature. Let it return to normal temperature(44C for your case) before you do a 2nd test, maybe with diff clock setting. If it increases radically, that means a more powerful fan is needed, or you have to remain at lower speed. Sometime it's no necessary to change the gpu fan to help to lower the temperature. An extra casing fan can also help. Most casing are already hot inside, plus the ventilation is actually not good enough to cool down the system especially when you play game.

You can replace the gpu fan. There's plenty of kit available in the market. You just have to bring along your gpu card and see which one fit physically, and fit your taste too :)

Just search for "gpu fan replacement", there should be plenty of sites to read. If you include your gpu model in the search, you'll surprise of what you can find. e.g. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Anyway, before doing any of that, have you tested the temperature during active game play? The most important factor here is being effective, no point to take the hassle to replace the fan if the stock fan does the job. Cos, there's always risk involved in the fan replacement too.

On load it goes 61C. Also, the fan on my GPU is not the one shown in the link. It has a plastic covering it, like a sheath.
xboxrulz

How long you load it before it goes to 61C? Does it goes to 61C if you use the original clock speed? Well technically 61C is still OK. Normally I'll try to stay below 70C. If it reaches 61C in a short load, then you should try longer load and see if it reaches 70C. That will give you more reason to upgrade :)

You need to bring it to the shop to look for compatible ones.

lol, but I just got this card, I don't want to go buy another new one ... lol. I'll check on the temperatures when I have time. At least I know that on full load it still runs cooler than a lot of Intel based laptops, and that's just the CPU (57 - 82C ... when loaded, 57 mild load, 82 full load)... lol.xboxrulz

Oh, I doesn't mean get a new gpu card, I meant get a compatible fanWow, at 82C, I can start making coffee and cook some eggs. Hopefully it doesn't cook my laps :)

Make sure to run some benchmarks of the performance too. It's a respectable increase in clock speeds but theres a possibility it won't show a boost in game or other graphical performance that makes it worthwhile to buy new fans or leave it overclocked or whatever. Just because a number is higher doesn't 'always' make it the best choice :)

After some system testing, Crysis ran at 85% GPU load most of the time, but 99% on water renders. The average temperature was about 62C for playing 30 minutes.EDIT: 3D Mark 2006 gave my system a 3D Mark score of 3806.