xisto Community
jimmy89

Windows Vista Sp1 Released.

Today, I fired up my laptop to check the email, usual morning stuff and got the Windows Update reminder in the taskbar. No worries, I’ll just update this and be on my way. Small couple of kB Windows Defender update - easy! A few moments later it was done, the successful update balloon popped up. Moments later, another update appeared, strange… I opened Windows Update and it reported that this one update had a size of a few MB up to a few hundred! Could it be… Well it was, Windows Vista SP1 is ready for all.

As I write this, I am currently downloading it to my Vista Test Machine, so after it downloads, we’ll see what happens. I’m not expecting it to make a dramatic change to the speed and performance of the PC, but who knows, its Microsoft after all! :) My download is only 66.9MB thankfully!

According to this site, vista sp1 has been available for manual download since yesterday. Also, not all languages are available yet.

English, French, Spanish, German, and Japanese are available now, with the additional 31 language versions due in mid-April.

Some people may not be able to download sp1 if they had a defective driver installed. All this is explained in the article.
Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

Thanks for the info. Great news ! We waited for this since a long time. Let's have a look. Maybe I will stop hating vista. Maybe my mouse pointer will stop disappearing. Maybe my web browser will stop freezing. Maybe my computer will stop halting.

I haven't tested it myself because I first want to try it on a virtual Vista installation (I also do not have choice because the Vista installation on my laptop is Dutch and SP1 isn't available for that language yet). I've already heared some rumours about the boot-loop not being fixed and a seious rise in memory usage. Time will probably tell us whether this is true or not :)

http://www.madshrimps.be/vbulletin/f22/vista-sp1-problems-bug-some-users-42912/

Well the only think I notice from SP1 was my winsxs folder jump to almost 6GB in size, mind you small updates and other stuff might have help, but I haven't really notice anything new about SP1. Of course I haven't spent much time on it either though.

Hey guys I have used the first release of Windows Vista 64-bit edition for 4 months. It's been great experiencing the new graphical environment of vista. One thing I appreciate is the new feature in the My Computer where you can directly see and know your hard disks' current capacity by just looking at the figures behind the drive letter's icon. Drivers would not be a problem if you have LATEST Vista compliant hardware. If you use vista as your home OS you encounter less problems than using it as a workstation OS.Vista is VERY weak and slow when copying or pasting/moving files from and to another media or partition! Especially when you do it in 'bulk' transfers. Even transferring a 700MB .avi movie would be heavy for Vista.

Alright, i just did a force install of Vista and there's no problems what-so-ever, I don't know what Windows Update was thinking. Everything is working in order.Anyways, it took 30-45 minutes to install this service pack and it rebooted 3 times during the installation.As for speed, the menus now draw faster, I haven't tested the transfer rate and bulk transfer rate. What I did notice is that browsing my Mac over the network has sped up considerably, which is a good thing, same with saving files over the network. I was relieved because I was tired of waiting for Vista to save the file for 1 minute while I just sit there and wait. It shouldn't happen for a 12KB document. Now when I save, you think I saved on a local disc so it's no longer slow at all.xboxrulz

Wow i hate my pc on this one. I took all the time to install it and had to reboot alot and then when i finally got it done everything except my sound worked. I hope they fix what ever cause my sound drivers to stop working cause it was kinda anoying. The beta i tested worked fine but then when i tried to use this one that happened and i had to uninstall it and now i gota put the beta one back on. Another hour or so late.....lol

try to uninstall and reinstall the drivers. Sometimes that happens on a new kernel.

By the way, does anyone know what's the difference in the kernel between 6.0 and 6.01?

xboxrulz

I agree with your solution for his drivers, I've had this problem multiple times on kernel updates.

I'm in the process of updating now, and I'd suggest you check out these links if you haven't, they break down everything that's new in SP1 compared to the initial install as well as give a general overview of the updates.

The network browsing and file transfer speed up you are noticing is one of the things they are touting as a plus of this SP, as well as some additional local file transfer speed up, better performance in switching states & opening programs.

Overview:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download

Notable Changes:

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download

In the same vein, I've noticed they released more features for .Net (3.5) including some new features regarding LINQ, if that interests anyone reading this, look for my post on this in the DB/SQL forum.

Regards Fellas,

the Doc.

Good, at last SP1 for Vista was released, now I even can think of trying Vista myself soon, as I get my new Laptop, I didn't use Vista yet on my computer and didn't even installed it on a virtual machine, why bother? :) I used it on my friends computer and didn't see anything very special :)A lot of different forums are writing about the same topic, noticed just Tonight. ;)

I installed Vista SP1 on March 27th, it runs smoothly, 35 minutes of installing progress everything was fine no problems. I checked the device manager almost every hardware has its compatible driver readily installed, with High Definition Audio installed.And! SP1 is a lot more faster than the first version! period.

Some of my friends said, that they reinstalled Vista and included SP1 for Vista and said that it is much better, as I said I didn't try it, but what now? Lets wait for SP2 for Windows Vista :)