xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1

Microsoft has released and make available for downloading the first release of it's web browser, Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 focused for Web Developers and Designers.

According to the information published on its website, IE8 will be the first version of the Microsoft web browser that will, by default, interpret web content in the most standards compliant way it can, and in my opinion this are good notices for web developers and designers.

Visit the following websites for more information about Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1:

Microsoft Backflips on Browser Version Targeting

Microsoft's Interoperability Principles and IE8

IE8 Version Targeting: Microsoft Considers Feedback

Microsoft Wipes Out Open Document Formats

Best regards,

Very Nice :)It Don't really like Internet Explorer 7, But I Will Give 8 a try :)Edit: I have instlled it now. But I get a strange error.. I can't explain it exactly, because my computer is a swedish version. But it says something like:"Internet Explorer Have run into a problem, and must be shut down" everytime I start it. Any ideas?My friend tryed it too, and his computer is much better than mine, and he is also getting this error.

Edited by Feelay (see edit history)

Feelay, maybe sweedish languages are not supported yet?I tried it today at work, and so far its not good! The Internet Explorer works well, and displays most pages ok. My website (hosted here) doesn't load properly and has problems with the menu. I also noticed that when trying to go to links, the browser would freeze for no apparent reason, then come back alive a few moments later! But (this is the interesting part) If I was to open the same link in a new tab, it'd work fine. I suppose its just the beta and they'll sort out problems like that!

I am dumb!!
It was all the addons fault. I have yahoo toolbar and that one makes IE crash

IE 8 is not yet compatible with all toolbars and plug-ins for earlier versions of Internet Explorer. Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 might crash when you use it with these programs, or it could cause them to function incorrectly.

This is what the guide says.
To work around this issue, use one of the following methods:•	Start Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 in (No Add-ons) mode, and then disable any add-ons that might be involved.•	Uninstall any software that might be causing compatibility issues with Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1.Internet Explorer 8 Beta 1 is not yet compatible with the following programs:•	DriveLetterAccess•	Skype•	Google Toolbar•	Google Toolbar 5 (BETA)•	Yahoo Toolbar (Toolbar options dialog box might not be displayed correctly.)•	HP Smart Web Printing v3.5 (No toolbar button for HP Smart Web Printing is displayed.)•	Real Player 11•	Quicktime Player (Volume controls might not work correctly.)

for more help about IE 8 Beta 1 issues,and solutions You can check this :):

IE 8 Beta 1 Support

Best Regards //Feelay
Edited by Feelay (see edit history)

This may be an improvement to Internet Explorer, I don't like it anyways. But I will give it a try anyways. Is there a method of installing this as a standalone application to run alongside IE7 or does this HAVE to replace IE7? I really don't like the fact that you can't have multiple Internet Explorer versions on a computer without severe compatibility issues.

I'm going to install it and try it out just to see whats new. I don't even really use 7 ever except at my university since I use firefox almost exclusively but its worth keeping an eye on whats available from other companies heh. As a reminder, this is a Beta 1 though, I mean saying its 'not good' isn't that fair since its meant to be a test version, not a release version. Beta software almost always will have bugs and thats the whole point of it :)

Ok. New fresh facts from feelay.IE 8 Beta 1 Is slow! Trust me! Very slow! And it looks like IE 7. I don't acctaully understand what they mean by "For developers and designers" :)This release shouldn't even be released! Its exactly the same thing as me doing this:"Here you go. The car isn't done yet. But I'll finish the breaks next year. And I will put on the steering wheel next month. Have fun, and thank you for buying this car".They should work a bit more on it, before releasing beta -.-

I'm going to install it and try it out just to see whats new. but apart from the im like happy with windows internet explorer lol i dont like to much change on thing on my computer ummmmmmmmmm but year like i said ill try it whats the harm in trying new things lol a change is good every once in a while lol

IE8 is worse than IE6 and IE7. Let me show you all some examples, Sonic Deck, my forum and website, in IE8:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png
Okay, IE8 is being stupid, why boldtext sonic-deck.co.uk and not the rest of the url? And the vertical marquee isn't working, either.

Several unfixed bugs in this page for IE8.

Again, more bugs, and some images that for some reason won't display.

If that dosen't show you how little IE has changed from IE7 (in many ways to the worst), I don't know what will.

This release is meant for developers and designers because there is a new standards mode designed for full CSS 2.1 compliance, and inprovments to the HTML rendering engine, as well as support for external plugins that use MathML and SVG. It also includes performance upgrades to load pages faster, and introduces a newer feature that is similar to RSS called WebSlices.What I'm really wanting to see released is application/xhtml+xml support, but so far it has been reported that there is none in the beta.

I read about the IE8 before and what the plans are for it, well I like the plans, if it's not only talks, but I am not even thinking of downloading it.. and installing.. why bother, just saw some screenshots and thats enough for me, I have IE7 and didn't use it all, except for testing some webpages, css and javascript stuff if it works and no errors accrue.. :)I just hope it will be more standard compliant as it should be, due to most of the users use IE, because it comes by default, if better browser comes by default, most of people will use it, because they don't really care if it's IE or Opera, Firefox, Safari, they just want to login to check their mail or go to some news site and read a bit.. :)

Turns out I didn't install it haha. Do any of you know if it installs WGA on your system? I've had disagreements with it it in the past and would rather not deal with it getting onto my system again. The only reason I was concerned is that upon running the installer it tells me my system is missing updates and requires them to be downloaded but doesn't list them so I just canceled out and figured I'd wait for some confirmation one way or the other. I kind of wanted to try it out but not enough to have my system complain about WGA related things all the time haha.

This may be an improvement to Internet Explorer, I don't like it anyways. But I will give it a try anyways. Is there a method of installing this as a standalone application to run alongside IE7 or does this HAVE to replace IE7? I really don't like the fact that you can't have multiple Internet Explorer versions on a computer without severe compatibility issues.

Yes there is a method to installing as a standalone application, but, it is more complicated than we can think, because to do it you must first download and install Virtual PC on your system and then download and run the IE8 Virtual Hard Disk, this is from The SitePoint Design View #43:

On a similar note, it's probably not wise to install this browser on any critical system at the moment, as it will automatically and permanently overwrite any IE6 and IE7 installs. That would be a brave course to take with a potentially unstable beta.
However, if you're keen to have a play, Microsoft has released a version of IE8 embedded in a virtual hard disk image (VHD) that can be run via Virtual PC. Microsoft offers both of these downloads for free, allowing you to freely test the beta while keeping it safely isolated from the rest of your system.

If you still want to try this method visit The SitePoint Design View #43 to get all the set up instructions.

Best regards,