xisto Community
Shane Sonnier

Ports

Does anyone here no how to open ports from a wireless router because im trying to host servers in the games i play and im scared to mess something up and destroy my system and im doing a website on my local host so thats a problem i cant get help with my website or no one can view thats what makes a difference doing these projects.

Does anyone here no how to open ports from a wireless router because im trying to host servers in the games i play and im scared to mess something up and destroy my system and im doing a website on my local host so thats a problem i cant get help with my website or no one can view thats what makes a difference doing these projects.

First you have to make sure your ISP doesn't block those ports, for example, port 80 for your webserver. Mine does, because they run a firewall to block some ports for more security, but using a web interface from my ISP, i could manually turn it off.

Now, you must figure out your IP address (LAN IP) that your router gives you. It should be 192.168.1.X or 192.168.0.X (where X is any number from 2 to 255) or could be something like 10.10.10.X.

Now that you have your local IP address, just open your favorite web browser (i.e mozilla) and put this on the address bar:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (or whatever your local IP address is, making sure it finish with a 1, which is your router's IP)

Now hopefully you'll be on your router web interface for setting up your configuration manually. I don't know which router you own, but they are all pretty much the same. Just look for Port Forwarding.

Before I forget, you might need to enter your router's password. If you never changed it, try using admin as username and "password" as the password, without the quotes. If that doesn't work, then just enter admin and leave the password blank. If that doesn't work either, then refer to your router's manual for your default password. If you changed it before, then enter yours, obviously.

Now you should see your port forwarding page, where you need to input the target port and target IP address.

For example, for a webserver you put port 80 and redirect it to your IP address (192.168.1.X) and press the "APPLY" button to apply your changes. Do that with every port you need forwarded to your server.

For games, it's the same, like for example "counter-strike" uses ports from 27000 to 27030, you could forward all those ports to your IP address and then you're good to go. Same applies for all games, and it's kinda the same setup.

Mess with your router, don't be affraid to cause some damage or something. If you ever experience issues with your router after you changed something, you can always look at the back of the router for the reset button. It's usually hidden and very small and hard to reach, you might need something like a small stick to press it. After that, your router comes back to initial configuration.

Hope it helps ya, let me know if you didn't understand something or if you need further assistance.