xisto Community
jc804

Sandisk Memory Card Write Protection watch out for that lock switch

About a year ago I bought a pocket drive that you put a memory card into and then plug into a usb port. I bought a 1gb Sandisk memory card to put into the thing. It was really cool I could put the memory card into my camera and took pictures on it and at the same time use it as a flash drive to store other computer files.

Everything was going fine until one day I plugged it into my pocket drive and tried to put a text file onto the card to give to a friend. A message came up "Access denied due to write protection". I thought "when did I put write protection on this thing?" I could not figure out how to remove the write protection. I was very confused. I stay confused until yesterday when I came across a blog about it. It turns out that somehow the lock switch on the side of the card got moved into the lock position.

Posted Image

Edited by jc804 (see edit history)

I had the same surprise with my first USB flashdisk, Crosoft told me that the disk was write-protected. I sent a mail to the manufacter, who kindle answered me with a drawing showing where the write-protect switch was. I find this very useful, to be able to write-protect a removable device before pluggint it into a friend's computer, so no bad virus-related events. :)

Thankyou

Sandisk Memory Card Write Protection

May I just say thankyou very much, I go to every site there telling me to download programs then this thing works straight away very easy and efficent well done and thankyou

-reply by Joshua

Yup, each SD card come with a write protector in times when the owner of the card does not want anyone to be able to write into the card. This is especially true if the person wants the SD card to become a ROM chip instead of a regular flash drive.xboxrulz

Thanks

THANK YOU SOOOOOOO MUCH FOR THIS... I WAS GOING TO GO OUT AND GET ANOTHER CARD : ( I CAN'T BELIEVE IT WAS JUST THE SWITCH...

how do i remove write protection from my card

THANK UUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I WAS LITERALLY IRRITATED BY FINDING MANY WAYS OF REMOVING WRITE PROTECTION FROM MY CARD BUT FINALLY I GOT THE VERY EASY and SIMPLE SOLUTION TO REMOVE WRITE PROTECTION FROM MY

CARD

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE HELP

-reply by hudda

My situation nothing compared to anyone

Ok, honesly I don't even know how you guys didn't know about this, I mean...Its 2008...Theres a lock on almost anything, memory cards, cellphones...Refrigerators...

:P

Just busting ya chops...Heres my ordeal...I have one of these same sandisk 1gb cards which it too says I have write protection enabled on it, but when I go to look at it...The LOCK SWITCH IS GONE! Now of course some dreadful must have happened to this poor card, YES it was stepped on, oh! but it still works, it reads...Just can't write. So since the card was already cracked I just slipped out the memory card gut (little green plastic) and notice that there is no internal switch, its all plain! How in the world can I switch this back to unlocked?!

I lost my write-protect switch

It fell out of my card. I'm trying to hot-wire it writable again, and I opened the case and I assumed that it is merely a jumper of the two letmost tabs (the skinny one and its neighbor) -- I tried jumping them with a fleck of tinfoil but it didn't seem to work. Maybe it didn't get good contact, or, the far end of the circuit is elsewhere (I'm sure the skinny tab is the front end of the circuit). If only I could get a graphic of the switch structure itself! Any idea where such could be found? Google images, nada --

Thankx -- PP

-reply by ProudPrimate

SanDisk SD 2GB Card

I have been using my SanDisk SD 2GB card to take photos with my Casio Exilim digital camera. When working to edit my photos with my laptop (I'm using a "35-IN-1" card reader), my attempts to save the edited version on the card are answered by a write-protect message. The lock switch on the card is NOT engaged. I flicked the switch to lock and back to the unlock position, making sure I can hear the "click" that the switch position has changed. Still getting the write protect message. Is there anything I can do short of buying another SD card?

-question by Needa Hint

Simple fix

Replying to Feedbacker

Hey,

I'm assuming you've sorted it by now but just in case anybody else stumbles across the problem like I did there's a very simple solution. Having pulled my card apart as you did to work out how lock worked I was stumped as there's no contacts or mechanism. The simple solution is that it's just a sensor that detects where the little plastic thingy is. Just wrap a piece of cellotape around where the plastic thing should be in the unlock position and voila... Card works fine again.

Hope this might help somebody and save some cash!

Cheers,

Andy

-reply by Andy Ecks

SanDisk lockswitch not working, everything locked

Replying to Feedbacker

I'm having the same problem � flicking the lock switch back and forth makes no difference, the computer insists the SanDisk card is still locked � and if you ever got an answer, please drop me a note @verizon.Net I'd be so grateful! :) Ankhorite

-reply by Ankhorite

Replying to FeedbackerHa! Well, I found out after trying everything I had thought of, to no avail. The bloody switch does NOTHING inside the SD card package: it's merely a dummy whose position is read by the socket!I carved out a little piece of plastic from a Scotch tape dispenser and glued it into the place where the missing switch would be if set to the non-writeprotect setting (outboard side of the slot), and voil�! I can write to the chip.(sheesh! what a wild goose chase!)

can i format my sd card?

Hi,

I have purchased a Kodak digital camera with 2 gb sd card. After a few days when I was trying to download the pictures to my computer, I saw there has been a virus in card. I tried to remove it but failed. I don't know that virus came from computer or through card. Can I format my card? somebody told me if I format the card I'll lose its setting. Give me a proper solution.

Thanks

-question by Abhi

Memory card going bad?Sandisk Memory Card Write Protection

Hi, we took pictures over the weekend and viewed them and they were fine. Last night we looked at them and now there seems to be some dots forming on some of the pictures. Is this a sign that the memory card is going bad perhaps or any idea of what it can be?

-question by Sharon

Answer: That is because your camera is trying hard to capture pictures in the dark. So, you should forgive it for those little dots. Try taking a snap in daylight and judge it again :-)