xisto Community
vyas4u

Using Regedit To Remove Viruses How to remove specific viruses using regedit

How to remove particular type of viruses from your system? Will using Regedit help???If so how to do it using regedit?For instance my system is affected by NTdetect virus so what should i do to remove it???

How to remove particular type of viruses from your system? Will using Regedit help???If so how to do it using regedit?For instance my system is affected by NTdetect virus so what should i do to remove it???

NTDetect virus would be hard to remove, if I'm not wrong, it's loaded even before the windows itself, thus, it has nothing to do with registry. As for basic removal of virus - I would rather call it malware, since viruses are less nowadays, and virus don't goes through the registry to infect. To remove malware from the registry normally means removing it from the autoruns entries, so that it won't load itself the next time windows start, that way you can remove the malware itself by deleting it. If you don't do so, you won't be able to delete it while it's still running.

In order to properly do that, you need to start windows in safe mode, by pressing F5 during startup of windows. You can keep pressing F5, in case you miss it. By using safe mode, windows will not automatically load any non default app, services or driver. Then you can easily remove those malware. I wouldn't recommend editing the registry directly, as it's quite hard to explain everything here, and it's error prone. Instead, you should use msconfig. Just goto Start\Run then type in "msconfig", and windows tools that help you manage your system config, startups services. Goto Startup, then look under the list from any suspicious apps. Uncheck it then click ok. After that just restart your computer and verify it. If you're not sure which one, then you might have to diesable all, and then slowly enable one by one to find out which is the one.

The easier way would be to download virus scanner, run it in safe mode to fully detect and remove the malware. Worse case, you might need to burn a bootable virus scanning cd, then scan from it. Or if you know how to take out your hard disk, and have another pc around the house or office, just plug in there and scan from there. That's one of the cleanest way, since nothing loads from that harddisk, so you can clean properly.

Good luck

I would strongly suggest to use Mc Afee free online scan, at least for diagnostic purposes.
here it is : https://home.mcafee.com/StaticGenericPage.aspx?page=cookienotsupported&url=%2fdownloads%2ffreescan.aspx%3fculture%3dfr-FR%26ctst%3d1
Of course, if you use it too often, you will be gently asked to buy the product. But at least from time to time, it's really useful.

I would strongly suggest to use Mc Afee free online scan, at least for diagnostic purposes.

here it is : https://home.mcafee.com/StaticGenericPage.aspx?page=cookienotsupported&url=%2fdownloads%2ffreescan.aspx%3fculture%3dfr-FR%26ctst%3d1

Of course, if you use it too often, you will be gently asked to buy the product. But at least from time to time, it's really useful.

Yes, MCafee is usefull but you need to buy each your a copy and fully reinstall it.

Please, don't go messing around with your registry if you don't know what your doing. Someone I know started deleting stuff in his registry to get rid of some malware and after rebooting almost nothing worked ... explorer wouldn't start, MMC couldn't load modules, regedit missed a DLL file, folder would appear empty, browsing to some folder was a hell and even system restore wouldn't start anymore making it almost impossible to fix the problem :) .Lucky for him I had a windows xp live that could restore his pc (okay, I was realy lucky to find the right tool, didn't even know it was in there doing that :) )

You might need to use a program called HiJackThis. Have it scan you computer. Then you are probably going to have to check your startup entries to see if there are think loading up that are out of the ordinary (not specific to your system or software you installed/use). Then delete the entries if it pertains to your problem. You might have to do some research to narrow down the problem. It might take awhile. A web site called Castlecops might have some resources for bad entries to look out for. It will take some time but It is work it.Then after that you might want to scan your computer with an antivirus software like AVG Free Edition', and another software for spyware call 'Spybot S&D'. When all that's done download yet another program called 'CCleaner' to remove unnecessary files and registry entries.Finally you might want to check your temp folder locations for traces of spyware, viruses, trojans.Last if you have XP/Vista you might want to get rid of your System Restore Points that may have been infected. (by they way It also helps if you disable system restore before you start cleaning up your PC. Many Online Security suites recommend this if their software installation has been compromised.)Hope this helps.Levimage :)

My suggestion is to reformat if you know that you have been infected by any type of malware. This excludes some of the less lethal varieties such as tracking cookies or the sort but anything that you have to ask if you need to modify the registry certainly deserves a reformat.The first reason is that you can never trust your system after you have been infected. This wasnât necessarily the case several years ago but with the rapid proliferation of rootkits, you simply can not trust what your computer is telling you. A rootkit (http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/) is a piece of software that is designed to alter the way the operating system kernel works. A classic example is hiding files from the system. A rootkit will insert itself on the same level as the operating system and hook into the Windows APIs responsible for displaying files and directories. When requesting a file or directly the rootkit will remove certain entries (namely its own files and anything else you want hidden). This means that the rootkit and payload is hidden from Explorer and even antivirus programs. If the antivirus program canât even see the file or know if is on the system, how is it supposed to clean your system?The second reason for a reformat is time. In the end you will spend hours (days most likely) tracking down registry entries, randomly named files, and a whole slew of other ways that malware stays persistent on your system. After you think you have finally cleansed your system of the blight, the malware reappears and you are in the exact same position you were in before the hours of work Before you know it, is has taken longer than a reformat and complete installation of programs and settings.

I always had this doubt. Will formatting clear our problems (removing virus etc) or create problems (HDD burning) like Surfermac told. I've formatted many times but didn't had any problem. Anyone here to clear my doubt?

Edited by takerraj (see edit history)

I always had this doubt. Will formatting clear our problems (removing virus etc) or create problems (HDD burning) like Surfermac told. I've formatted many times but didn't had any problem. Anyone here to clear my doubt?

I suppose that we are talking about formatting the "c:" disk, the operating system disk. Because formatting a data disk will not remove a virus from the operating system disk.And, yes, formatting the main hard disk will solve all your software problems because you will have no more software... :(
More seriously, if your operating system gets infected, a full re-installation usually solves your problem, provided that you also know how to re-install your network, your graphics and all your applications.
It should not burn out your hard disk, except if your disk is already dying and has a few bytes to be written before final stop : in that case, a write-intensive will make it die faster. however, this could be a good thing, because if your disk is not reliable, if you loose if during the initial operating system installation, namely during the formatting action, is less harmful because no precious data are on it yet. So, if it's time to buy a new disk, the initial format is the good moment for crashing.
If it crashes during a format, it would have crashed after a few hours of normal usage too.
And, of course, formatting is not the solution to the virus problem. The solution is to have an up-to-date efficient anti-virus and keep out of infected pirated softawares.
If you have a malicious software on a CD, formatting your hard disk will not prevent the virus from coming back as soon as you will read your infected CD.

It should not burn out your hard disk, except if your disk is already dying and has a few bytes to be written before final stop : in that case, a write-intensive will make it die faster.

So, HDD will burnout. In the above quote are you talking about HDD running out of disk space or other issue. How can a HDD burn out?

So, HDD will burnout. In the above quote are you talking about HDD running out of disk space or other issue. How can a HDD burn out?

much of formatting causes your hard disk to burn out so i wouldnt suggest formatting until unless necessary

Surfermac says that, according tohis own experience, formatting too often (not precised how often :every day, every hour?) makes your hard disk burn out, and beeing physically out of order, you have to buy a new one.Personally, I think that this should occur only if your hard disk is already "almost" out of of order.

Turn off RestoreUsing Regedit To Remove Viruses

Do this before you boot up in Safe Mode.

To really make sure you're not reloading the virus/malware etc...  turn off the Restore using your Control Panel. Click on the System Icon and go to the System Restore Tab.  Click on the 'Turn off system restore on all drives'.  Click Apply and then OK.

What sometimes happens is that the problem is just reloaded at bootup if the offending software is 'smart'.  It activates the Restore if it finds certain files missing that you deleted using whatever software to remove them.

Now go through the recommendations for using msconfig above.

I wouldn't do the reformat until you've tried this route first.  If this doesn't work then do the reformat but make sure you have the original CD/DVD with that came with your system.

-reply by Another_view

Keywords: