xisto Community
divinity

Setting Up Java Correctly

First thing, I know the pictures say update 3, I'll update them to 4 soon...

Since there's been alot of people saying this bot doesn't work!1!1!!elevenone1!11exclamination! I'll tell you how to set up your Java, correctly

Before I say anything, if you get this problem

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: mudclient

press any key to continue. . .

This means you have set up your Java incorrectly, follow the tutorial properly

Also if you are not an Administrator on your computer you can't change the Enviromental Variables.

If you get this however:

'javac' is not recognized as an internal or external command,

operable program or batch file.

Press any key to continue . . .

Just follow this tutorial :)

Okay, first we need to download Java, the correct version

so click this link. http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/download.jsp

and download JDK 5.0 Update 4: The J2SE Development Kit (JDK) supports creating J2SE applications.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/404.png

Now choose the download which is correct for your Operating System, for example if you are using Windows, choose Windows, if your using Linux, choose Linux. I use Windows, and the majority here do as well. If you don't, well I dunno what you need to Install.

Posted Image

When you finish the download, restart if you have to restart, but I didn't well run the Install, if you don't know how to do this, you should not be doing java.

Now we gotta set up the Path, so go to Control Panel. (Start>Control Panel)

Then, System, and Advanced. Then click Enviromental Variables.

Posted Image

Then we look down until we find PATH, then click on it and press the edit button

Posted Image

Then we put the Path to the Java folder. If you didn't change the folder and saved it into Program Files the folder would be: C:\Program Files\Java\JDK1.5.0_04\bin

Posted Image

And your done! If you get anymore problems leave a post!

Very Good Tutorial (and correct :)). When I was doing this the first time, it took me ages to find a tutorial that told you how to do it :) I am sure this will help many people. Thank you. But.. I am not 100% sure, but shouldn't this be in the tutorials section =?

Installing JDK is pretty easy if you read the documentation (provided with each release). Java is ok its just that I haven't found any good online tutorials for it (advanced loaders ect). Its not like C++ where when you type in 3D C++ to Google and you get millions of results. People just would rather give you their engines then to just teach you to do it for yourself. I would recomend if people really want to learn java they should look for a book or take a class.Anyway back on topic... Divinity you and I both know this but you might want to remind people that are new to java to backup what they have in their environment PATH variable before editing it (you know just incase they mess up and edit the wrong thing). Other then that, this is a very good tutorial for people looking to work with java.Freelay this could be located here or in the tutorial section, just not exactly sure if it is long enough. But either way people should be able to find it.Thanks,Sparkx

JAVA has different installation kits for different users. Many last kits (with installation instructions) can be found here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index.html

But one thing is important : which kit to install? The answer depends on your needs!

1. When you are going only to run Java desktop application, you will be probably happy with minimal installation: Java Runtime Environment (JRE) 6

Take JRE installation kit according your operation system (Windows, Linus etc.).

After installation, do not forget to dooble check environment variable PATH.

For example, if you are installing Java on Windows in directory C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03, environment variable PATH should contain the path

C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin

- windows operational environment should know location of java.exe, needed for running ANY Java program.

2. When you are going to develop Java desktop applications, you need to install more advanced kit - JDK 6.

This kit includes JRE, that's way you do NOT need to install JRE separately.

It is good idea to double check environment variable PATH (example, PATH=...C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_11\bin... ), but you can also set up the environment variable JAVA_HOME, used by some Java Development Environments and by other tools (example, JAVA_HOME=C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.5.0_11).

If you do not have any Java development tools on your local machine, you can install the kit JDK 6 Update 5 with NetBeans 6.0.1.

It is the same like JDK, but includes development tool NetBeans - good point to start studying Java from zero!

3. Finally, when you are going to deploy, run or develop server-based Java applications (co-named Java 2 Enterprise Edition), you need to install one of kits from here:

http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javaee/downloads/index.html

These kits includes additional standard libraries (.jar files), needed for running Java server applications.

Edited by java-area (see edit history)

I've wanted to set up my computer for command line java compiling using javac before but when I got to the PATH variable I noticed that my win32 folder was there. Isn't that necessary for c++ compiling using the g++ command or am I wrong? Will replacing my PATH with C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin alter my ability to compile c++ files in the command prompt? If yes is there any way to be able to do both? It's not really an big issue I'm just curious. Currently I use NetBeans to compile my java code.

Edited by jc804 (see edit history)

I've wanted to set up my computer for command line java compiling using javac before but when I got to the PATH variable I noticed that my win32 folder was there... Will replacing my PATH with C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin alter my ability to compile c++ files in the command prompt? If yes is there any way to be able to do both?

you can put in PATH as many pathes as you need:

using semicolon separator ( ; ) in Windows

or a single colon separator ( : ) in Unix

example: C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.6.0_03\bin;C:\Any_Other_Path

help please :s

First I got the batch file error, I went through all of this correctly, and now I get this error "exception in thread "main" java.Lang.Noclassdeffounderror: gui press any key to continue, someone help me please :(

-reply by kaleb

I want to create the gprs/wap settings for my series 40 phone nokia

I want to create the gprs/wap settings which are usually provided by the service provider. My problem is that my service provider has not created the settings for my phone and they are not going to create it also. I want java applications like Opera mini to access the net using proxy server of the provider. But my handset Nokia 5300 allows only nokia browser to access the proxy server (the browser is stupid and mo way matches the performance of Opera Mini). Ericsson phones have the in built facility, so they are able to open sites using Operamini and proxy server. I am very sure that if such a setting is created I will be able to access the net via proxy. In fact,actually Airtel has created the setting with a different access point name of " airtelfun.Com " and it works also but my reqirement is with access point " airtelwap.Com " So ericsson users are enjoying and smartphone users also.

In my phone the applications use access points to connect to net. They cant connect using access point and a proxy address and proxy port like 8080. They only allow direct connection. (series 60 and other smart phones can access.)

I want some http setting that uses airtelwap.Com as the access point and 100.1.200.99 as the proxy address and 8080 as the proxy port and this setting should be used by java application Operamini to access net like sony ericcson phones.

So someone pls modify the airtel Live setting (access point name "airtelfun.Com" proxy address "100.1.200.99" and proxy port "8080") to "airtelwap.Com" proxy address "100.1.200.99" and proxy port "8080"

And how do I install the setings in my phone. Over the air or with some application.

Help me asap or I will have to change my phone.

-question by hemant dongre

HOME_PATHSetting Up Java Correctly

When I was installing CATIA v6 it asked me for Java Home Path for which I've browsed C:Proagram Filesjavajre6binbin, an error message came stating...

"incorrect JAVA_HOME path. Program java was not found in path C:Proagram Filesjavajre6binbin"

can anyone help me where I went wrong please...

-reply by skoo

catia v6 java home pathSetting Up Java Correctly

can any one halp me to fix this problem,

while installing catia v6 its aking for java home path, how to fix this problem

-question by D.Shyam Sundar

hello ...I did wat u said...But hte problem is the path is already set for my sql server...

C:appSushant-se7enproduct11.1.0db_1bin;%SystemRoot%system32;%SystemRoot%;%SystemRoot%System32Wbem;%SYSTEMROOT%System32WindowsPowerShellv1.0;c:Program FilesMicrosoft SQL Server90Toolsbinn

I don't want to delete this ...Can I do something so that both works ...Java and sql server...Pllz reply soon...

-reply by sushant

Just as you would set the PATH environment variable, you can define the JAVA_HOME environment variable - the only difference being that in the PATH variable you have multiple paths separated by a semicolon while in the JAVA_HOME environment variable, you have a single path. Set this to the location of the Java Developmen Kit that you have installed. If the installation prompts you for the Java home path, you can browse to the JDK folder or type it in to the provided location.