xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Microsoft Word 2007

How great is it microsoft word 2007 really works for me without vista i really dont like vista but microsoft word is GREAT! all the 2007 things are the frontpage (called something else) is also great with log-in forms already made its great for them to do something so good.... What would we do about them? post a reply

I don't use Microsoft Office anymore and I don't intend to do it unless my job (and having a job is not something that's going to happen in the first 2 years since I'm still studying) requires me to do so. I'm very happy with OpenOffice.org, it has all the features I need to create a nice looking document and exporting my documents to pdf is easy and perfect so I don't have to worry about any compatibility issues.The new 'frontpage' (Web Expression ?) is probably not going to be any better than frontpage, I still don't think microsoft is going to abandon all the IE-only tricks that frontpage had and since it's microsoft, it probably won't be XHTML-valid either :P .I honestly don't like the interface either, it's too big, too polished, too shiny ... I'm a huge fan of win2k/win9x looks, they are simple, compact yet clear and functional. The polished looks most applications have are boring after a while.So, no Microsoft Office for me ;)

Yeah, I honestly can't stand MS office anymore. The new ribbon thing...complete and utter garbage. I had some hopes for the Mac version that just came out, but that was almost as bad and bloated as the PC version. I use OpenOffice (well, actually NeoOffice, which is just OpenOffice with Cocoa interfaces for OS X) exclusively now for my office software needs.I'm still stuck using office at work unfortunately, because they're using the latest version of microsoft sex change that you need the latest version of outlook to connect to, and despite my protests, have turned off IMAP access internally ;)

I didn't know there was a newer version of Office. The last thing I have used was Office XP, but I don't really use it too much. It is nice for when I need to open random files or whatnot using usually Word. But I may have to check it out, because my wife does most of the text oriented things around the house. We like to use a lot of templates for bills and such on like Excel, but I also try to sort things in Word or PowerPoint.I am a Graphic Artist, so I basically keep to Photoshop, but when I try to do a lot of proofreading I just do it in Word... I would love to find an alternative to Word sometimes, because it is the Devil's Word Processing Software! Haha

I am a quite satisfied Microsoft user. Office 2007 for example is very nice too look at compared to 2003 I think. Also I have tried openoffice which is great because it is free. It doesn't have quite as nice an appearance though, and it opens ms office documents quite slowly. The last problem will be fixed in the future as far as I've heard because ms finally gave up some of their coding for the other companies to use. And yes it is nice that office 2007 works as nice for xp as for vista, and even greater that it uses the same amount of memory for me with a 256 MB Ram laptop. I am furiously disabling all but the used services. and it works i would like to add. machine is running nice

i think the new 2007 office isnt really nice it look perverted i prefer the 2003and i prefer open office over bothand if ur lookin for somethin better than frontpage i say anything is better try adobe macromedia dreamweaver

I had a trial version of Microsoft Office 2007 Home and Student which just expired 2 days ago. I use OpenOffice at the moment, it is suitable for basic Word, Excel and PowerPoint functions. Nothing too fancy.The Ribbon was really nice in my opinion, it allowed greater work efficiency when you got used to it, which I did after about 10 minutes of a Microsoft introduction video. As for Vista, I haven't really experienced it but I have read lots about it and the interesting things about it are speech recognition and user account control.OpenOffice does lack some of the features found in Microsoft Office, such as grammar checking (a plugin is available), support for DOCX and the new "openXML" formats (this isn't that important), and it does lack the power of Microsoft Office in certain things, most noticeably when compared to Microsoft PowerPoint. But remember, it's open source and free, you can't expect too much out of it :)

I've been using Microsoft Word 2007 and the MS Office Package 2008 since the very first beta release in 2006 and now I got the full version and planning to update to SP1. My general impression? "It's beautiful! It's overhauled to a new look! Really." But of course, the very first time of using MS Word 07 was a bit confusing for me and I thought to myself, "I wish it still looks like MS Word 2003!" But then of course I was in a 'new' environment so I have to adjust like everybody does. MS Word 2007's drop down menus are very well arranged (a bit confusing if your used from previous versions of course). I'm using the 'mail merge' feature back in the Office 2003 version, but when i migrated to Word 2007 a little problem on finding and starting using the feature occurred. what I did was create a new one to get it running from the drop dow menus -"Mailings--Start Mail Merge-Letters."
Big CONS on MS Office 2008 was the compatibility issue (which was later solved by Microsoft) of opening and running documents on the previous versions which are created from Office 2007. If you want to install compatibility pack, here's the link: http://techhive.blogspot.de/

I just don't understand how the HELL they do make each version of Microsoft Office so BIGGER. And not just bigger. I mean REALLY HUGE.The whole thing occupies about 2GB of disk space, that's simply ridiculous. There ain't no significant change that could make a program go from about what, 200-300MB to the current program size. Also, a single language pack is 350MB big... And I'm not even talking about a complex and painful language like chinese (this one is about 600MB big). WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM? AHHHHHHHH! I mean, Open Office and alike can do that using 10 times less disk space..!I do like MS Office, seriously. It's not a bad program suite after all. I had my tries on Open Office, but some important Excel engineering and maths tools made me go back to the old one. Compatibility is also a concern, mainly because each damn suite wants to have it's own incompatible file type and extension. And not happy enough, Microsoft now implemented new .docx and alike for Office 2007... I just can't stand it. If the user just comes up with an idea, writes up a text on Microsoft Word 07 or Open Office Writer, and clicks the save button... well about 90% of the rest of the whole world is not going to be able to open it for reading without being through some kind of stressing process, since the default file formats for each editor are the exclusive ones which only work on their own editor. This is simply wrong! Even Adobe Photoshop asks if you do want the file to be compatible with old formats, and well PS isn't the sort of program that's really "user friendly". Yes, one might say "but asking for retrocompatibility isn't user friendly". But well neither is sending over your simple essay to a friend and having him not being able to view it.Damn it's late and I'm probably being an *bottom* as usual. But that's what I feel about them... Cheers.

I just don't understand how the HELL they do make each version of Microsoft Office so BIGGER. And not just bigger. I mean REALLY HUGE.

The whole thing occupies about 2GB of disk space, that's simply ridiculous. There ain't no significant change that could make a program go from about what, 200-300MB to the current program size. Also, a single language pack is 350MB big... And I'm not even talking about a complex and painful language like chinese (this one is about 600MB big). WHAT'S WRONG WITH THEM? AHHHHHHHH! I mean, Open Office and alike can do that using 10 times less disk space..!

Thats is just the way Microsoft softwares are built, each new version gets more powerful, user-friendly and bulky. Just take a look at the minimum disk space requirements of their most popular software - Windows.

Windows 3.1: 15 MB

Windows 95: 55 MB (266% More)

Windows 98: 225 MB (309% More)

Windows ME: 400 MB 77%

Windows XP: 1500 GB 275%

Windows Vista: 15000 GB 900%

That gives a growth percentage of 266% for Windows 95, 309% for Windows 98, 77% for Windows ME (98 of the new Millenium?), 275% for XP and a massive 900% for Vista. To the elusive computer user, these hardware requirements are not that big of an issue because endless chains of upgradation go hand in hand with Computers. You do have a point though; why waste so much disk space on something as trivial as word processing? The new Office has been aimed at being even more user-friendly, something which it definitely does by employing the cool Ribbon controls. The Ribbon controls along with the new design is what will be most noticed, but surely there are a lot of embedded features that have been creeping up on the disk space. One might wonder though, whether Microsoft is deliberately increasing the system requirements so that it's Hardware compatriots, most notably Intel get more sales.

Edit

I almost forgot while typing this, Welcome back to the forum, KDEWolf.

Edited by turbopowerdmaxsteel (see edit history)