xisto Community
Feelay

How To Install Linux Without A CD or DVD? Would like to learn how to use Linux but dont know how to install

Hey! I've tryed to install linux without a cd (as they said on the website).. But I did'nt understand it so good =/ Can anyone please tell me how I can install linux without a CD? Any version.. The only thing I need is a fast one (faster than windows).. I am completly new (never tried it before) and would want to learn Linux. But thats not easy, if I don't know hoiw to install it ;) Thanks //Feelay

Edited by vujsa (see edit history)

Hey!
I've tryed to install linux without a cd (as they said on the website).. But I did'nt understand it so good =/
Can anyone please tell me how I can install linux without a CD? Any version.. The only thing I need is a fast one (faster than windows).. I am completly new (never tried it before) and would want to learn Linux. But thats not easy, if I don't know hoiw to install it ;)

Thanks //Feelay

Well, the most obvious question is this, do you have a CD or DVD drive in your computer?

I'll assume that you do and just need to know how to download the files and put them on your own CD/DVD.

If you have a DVD burner, this is the best option but if not, you'll have to download several (about 6) ISO files. An ISO is an image of a CD which with your CD burning software you can use to create your own Linux Installation CD's.

The real trick these days is finding CD ISO's since most of the mirrors only offer the DVD ISO! So you may have to settle for an older version of the distribution that you want or spend a lot of time looking for a mirror with both formats.

So you download each of the ISO files to your hard drive. Once they are all downloaded, you need to open your CD burning software and choose the option to burn a CD from an image or saved project and go find the ISO's.

You'll need to do this for each ISO file.

If you don't know how to use your CD burning software, you'll need to inquire in the proper forums for that info.

Hope this helps,

vujsa

I know how to burn a cd ;) But the problem is, that I have no CDs left.. and my dad wont buy before the summer..Thats why I asked if it is possible to install it without a cd (and dvd). And if yes, how.

Do you have another computer, which could act as a file server ? then we could attempt a network install, you only need the files from the ISO distro's, and a boot floppy or flashdisk.so, please, first tell us if a second computer is available in your home network.

I had to do this with Fedora Core 2 awhile back, because my DVD drive wasn't booting properly. No idea why. Anyway, here's what I did:1) Get a bootable flash-drive distribution like Damn Small Linux and put it on your flash drive.2) Boot the system with the drive. When booting is done, umount the flash drive remove it.3) Download the network install (or mini as some call it) ISO image.4) Format the flash drive as Fat32 and drop the iso image on there.5) Plug the drive back into the computer and mount it using the -t iso9660 -o loop options.6) cd into that directory and run the installer.It took about 4 hours, but I was impressed I was able to do it back then.

Edited by ethergeek (see edit history)

hmm.. Is it possible to use an USB(mp3-player, but I use it as an USB) instead of a CD? would it work ?(Put all the files in the mp3-player, and then boot with it.)

hmm.. Is it possible to use an USB(mp3-player, but I use it as an USB) instead of a CD? would it work ?(Put all the files in the mp3-player, and then boot with it.)

Yes! but you have to do some special things to the USB key like set a proper partition type so the BIOS understands that it's bootable. The documentation over at damn small linux's site walks you through all of it.

You need to have a network server, or a pc connected to your own computer. Linux installation tutorials has a detailed instructions on this process, you can visit http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/ (for openSUSE distro).
Or if you have a large usb flash drive capacity 3GB or 4GB, you can configure your PC to boot through that flash drive and begin your installation following a detailed procedure on how to do it succesfully, visit https://www.pendrivelinux.com/

Hey Get another Dad.

How To Install Linux Without A CD or DVD?

Replying to Feelay

My simple answer to your difficult problem " GET Another Dad , and ask Him to Get You a DVD not a CD " ( Just Kidding ) .

Try this one

http://polishlinux.org/installation/installing-linux-over-network-no-cd-drive/

You can boot and install the Distros from a flash drives you may google for that

-reply by Dr.Hamza

installation How To Install Linux Without A CD or DVD?

u just download this version of ubuntu(ubuntu-9.10-desktop-i386 )

step-1-choose the disk where u want  to install linux

step-2;-paste this folder there 

step3-open it name is step4-in this folder u found an image just double click on the figure(image name is WUBI)

step-5 your installation will proceed

step-6-a window display u choose your drive and give the password an press the install button

step7-After 30 min reboot your system your installation is successful

-reply by amit