xisto Community
viewertom

Help! Computer Freezes! Something To Do With Software Using Internet! Whenever I use a program that needs alot of internet, my pc would cras

Hi everyone I need help with my pc!!I have a good pc, 2 gigs of RAM, 1650 ATI video card, 2.66 intel dual processor, so I dont think its my hardware..But.. little while ago, i was moving my pc, I believe the outlet I tried using did not provide enough power (cuz when i tried starting up my pc putting the power into that outlet, my pc would make a buzzing choking noise, coming from the fan I believe NOT GOOD :o I had to force turn off my pc ;) a couple times before I switched outlets). I'm hoping that has nothing to do with it, hopefully I didnt mess up my hardware!!Okay, so lemme tell ya how my pc freezes. When I use programs that require lots of internet (ie. programs that download and upload) + a program that uses alot of internet and RAM (ie. online multiplayer), my computer freezes!!! :P:P:P And recently, I got WoW (world of warcraft) and have nothing else in the background (except my antivirus), and it would freeze while I'd play! My internet connection would be fine (54mbps at Very Good) and my fps would be good, but it would randomly freeze.Also, when I have this downloading program (I wont say :o ) running and decide to watch some youtube videos to pass the time, my pc would freeze!! :o. But not as often as when I play WoW.Any replies will help greatly, Thanks dudes :P

I think that you cannot have a real problem with the AC outlet power.However, the noise coming from the fan or the freezing could be a dust problem. Have a look around your PC's box, see if the air cooling outlets are not filled with dust, preventing the air cooling from freshening the processor.By the way, which kind of PC is it ? A laptop, a desktop, a tower ?Yordan

Yeah, you got a lot more running in the background than your anti-virus!Everybody does or windows doesn't work.Anyhow, at some point in time you have installed some piece of software that included some malicious software with it. For example, many plugins for FireFox include some adware, spyware, etc...Even if you update your anti-virus, anti-spam, anti-malware software, you won't find and eliminate everything!So, you need to clean out your system...First, go into your control panel and select the "Add/Remove Programs" option.Go through the list and if you see something that you don't think you need, remove it! If you remove the wrong thing, you can always reinstall the software later.Even if you think you want to keep it, remove any trial / free software that you downloaded from the internet. Generally speaking, the installers for these can easily install several different programs at the same time and you will never be asked about each item since you already selected the "Install" option.Now, if you are a patient person, you can remove a program and test your system to see it that helped the problem. If it didn't help, then you know that that was not the problem software.If after to remove all of the junk that you have installed over time and you still have the problem, then you need to open your "Task Manage" and check which "Processes" you have running. Anything that you can't identify you need to run an internet search for. Just type the name of the file being run in your favorite internet search engine and find out what it is. If it is malware, you will find out pretty quickly since there will be several results for it stating that it is bad. Keep reading to find out how to remove any of the files that are malicious.Other than that, you'll have to search your system registry to see what services or background programs you may have running.I hope this gets you started in the right direction. vujsa

I'm wondering if he has RAM errors...those can lock up a machine pretty good. On the other hand, video seems to do it, so maybe it's an issue with the graphics card.Check your system log in event viewer to see if you can locate a STOP code anywhere...or a slew of programs crashing or erroring? Maybe the RPC server or DCOM took a dive and just started a cascade failure in windows till it freaked out and crashed./sigh...this is why I use Mac...there's always a log when something goes awry.

I'm wondering if he has RAM errors...those can lock up a machine pretty good. On the other hand, video seems to do it, so maybe it's an issue with the graphics card.
Check your system log in event viewer to see if you can locate a STOP code anywhere...or a slew of programs crashing or erroring? Maybe the RPC server or DCOM took a dive and just started a cascade failure in windows till it freaked out and crashed.

/sigh...this is why I use Mac...there's always a log when something goes awry.

Actually, usually the RAM locks up on intensive software like Internet downloading and uploading, movie rendering and video gaming. That's when you know you got crappy RAM ... What brand is it?

Woah, didnt expect this many replies! lol, Thanks for caring everyone :P.I ran a new anti virus program, and it caught 1 malware, after that it seems okay. Also took out the RAM and put them back in, just incase they were loose. And used some dust-off, got a sand pile of dust out! Which was weird because I cover my pc with a small blanket when I don't use it to keep the dust out, but I guess that it doesnt work :P.Thanks everyone ;)

I cover my pc with a small blanket when I don't use it to keep the dust out, but I guess that it doesnt work ;).

The fact is not that it does not work, it's simply useless. When you don't use your PC, there is almost no reason that dust enters.When you are using your PC, the PC's cooling system starts aspiring air from your room. Which means anywhere a piece of dust is in your room, it will be forced going inside your PC, directly on the CPU's radiator.
Of course, if you like your small blanket, maybe it's nicer to see a blanket than a stopped PC, so you can keep going on for artistical purposes.

The fact is not that it does not work, it's simply useless. When you don't use your PC, there is almost no reason that dust enters.When you are using your PC, the PC's cooling system starts aspiring air from your room. Which means anywhere a piece of dust is in your room, it will be forced going inside your PC, directly on the CPU's radiator.
Of course, if you like your small blanket, maybe it's nicer to see a blanket than a stopped PC, so you can keep going on for artistical purposes.

It is true that your computer sucks most of the dust in while turned on since it is the cooling fans that bring it in with the cool air. Additionally, due to convection, the movement of air from cool to hot etc, even without fans, your system will suck in dust.

For a few dust eliminating tips, see the following topic: http://forums.xisto.com/topic/91010-topic/?findpost=1064354094

Malware! I figured that was the problem. But like I said, your new anti-virus may now find all of it. Sometimes software that you don't consider malware is just as hurtful. Ever notice how slow your system gets while your anti-virus is running! ;)

Some software titles rely on layer after layer of other programs so running on little weather monitoring program which was free and of course includes some adware relies on your internet connection which all runs through your firewall program. etc...

You would be surprised by how much a system booster package actually helps. Over time your registry gets all disorganized and internal links get broken. This means that your system takes longer to perform the task because it has to take longer to find out how it is supposed to do it.

Here are some optimization tips:
Run a registry booster - it will detect and fix registry errors
Run the disk defragmentation program on ALL drives - it organizes data on your drive to make it easier and quicker for the system to use it.
Run a disk check - This will find and fix (if possible) any disk errors.
Remove unwanted, unused software and data from your drives - This makes it quicker to use the data you do need.
If you aren't using it, close it - don't leave unused programs running minimized or in the background.

Anyway, glad to hear that your system is working better now.

vujsa

no screen life but my computer switches onHelp! Computer Freezes! Something To Do With Software Using Internet!

My Computer switches on no problem but the thing that's wrong is I've no screen life at all?? tried all the connection wires to see if anything was loose and still nothing. What can I do to fix this? any 1 able to help me at all it would be greatly appreciated thanks 

-question by patricia