xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

When Was Googles Last Update?

Google isn't a noob site like yours, they are a professional site who don't need to.They change their "layout" slightly ever so often, if you've noticed they added the bar up the top recently and gotten rid of the links above the search box.The features, yes, we do, they release BETA versions of new features in Google labs and things like that. I suggest you press the "more" link to have a look.This thread seems a bit stupid imo.

As sten says, goole have a perfectly fine and professional layout that lets you get your search done with no flash animations popping up and saying "how may I help you with your search", as those would earn google an unprofessional reputation and lower their uage with other search engines similiar to it but basic coming up. Also, again as Sten says, they make many new features but don't plop them onto the main engine. For instance, they make many new features accessible from the "more" link. The layout is pretty much the same as it was in 1998 with some modifications, but it's a good layout.

I personally don't see what they can change, the layout looks quite good, I just hope they won't do any google search with different layout by adding some *BLEEP* features, which would take longer to load, by adding "fancy" stuff :P I'm ok with the current situation, the main thing it works and usually has no errors..Besides, you can change google appearance yourself, doesn't matter with what, a proxy server like Privoxy or by using some Add-on in Firefox, you could even create your own google site and use it to search the web, by replacing the content with some scripting language.. ;)

Google changed their site compleatly just a few months ago. I like it better now and I hope they don't edit it back. IGoogle allows you to customize the entire page (at least almost the entire page). It is better then adding tool bars that you only use like 1% of the time and the rest of the time they are just a waist of space. Personally I think iGoogle is just an information screen (just like that one on macs). I don't know about you but I think it is handy to get a tip of the day, recent search result and new emails all on one page that doesnt take too long to load.As for search layout I agree with Quatrux. I don't really use that many features and if it makes the page load slower then I don't want it (for example ask.com is one of the slowest search engines I have ever used). I guess if you really are to lazy to read a discription and would like to just see a pic then just switch to ask.com. People at Google are doing a good job and I heard somewere that they might make their own OS/Cell phone but I don't know if thats correct...Thanks,Sparkx

Google's default layout is the classic one they had back in 1998.

Well, not exactly...their logo was quite a bit different back in 1998. I have to say it was uglier, and the new logo looks spiffier.
Anyways, I agree with many of the posts above that Google doesn't really need to change their basic layout. Perhaps a few tweaks here and there (such as when they moved their Web, Image etc bar up to the top of the page instead of underneath their logo), but any major changes are mostly not needed. Their users are fine with their layout---it is nice and simple after all, so there's no need to change it. That's not, of course, to say that just because something's working we shouldn't change it, it's just that in this case, it's working really well and changing will probably cause a ruckus.

iGoogle is interesting, but personally I've never taken a liking to it. This is mainly because iGoogle is horribly slow, and I prefer Google loading quickly than anything else.

they might make their own OS/Cell phone

Well, apparently a representative from Google mentioned that they were not creating their own OS; it was just a rumor. The rumor started because they had modified Ubuntu for their use, which is nicknamed "Goobuntu" and because of this, many people assumed that Google would make its own OS. Goobuntu's just for internal use only. As for the cellphone, I have no idea. ;-)

I know it's been said by...uh...everyone else, but I feel the need to throw in my 2 cents and agreement. Google has one of my favorite layouts of any website to date. SO many websites feel the need to clutter their space with grotesque ads, useless features and information, promotions for sister sites, etc. As well, many other sites change their layout on a regular basis meaning that they realize the previous one was 'broken' and it also causes the user to refamiliarize themselves with the new and 'improved' layout. Basically if it isn't broken, don't fix it, and this is working perfectly for google so I see no reason to drastically change their layout past the minor tweaks they do now.As far as features go, google seems to release new products every time I blink so I think you just aren't paying attention on that one. Ever since gmail it seems every couple months there are new things like google docs, google calendar, etc. They aren't always huge things but remember, they are all free so quit whining ;)

Well, not exactly...their logo was quite a bit different back in 1998. I have to say it was uglier, and the new logo looks spiffier.
Anyways, I agree with many of the posts above that Google doesn't really need to change their basic layout. Perhaps a few tweaks here and there (such as when they moved their Web, Image etc bar up to the top of the page instead of underneath their logo), but any major changes are mostly not needed. Their users are fine with their layout---it is nice and simple after all, so there's no need to change it. That's not, of course, to say that just because something's working we shouldn't change it, it's just that in this case, it's working really well and changing will probably cause a ruckus.

iGoogle is interesting, but personally I've never taken a liking to it. This is mainly because iGoogle is horribly slow, and I prefer Google loading quickly than anything else.
Well, apparently a representative from Google mentioned that they were not creating their own OS; it was just a rumor. The rumor started because they had modified Ubuntu for their use, which is nicknamed "Goobuntu" and because of this, many people assumed that Google would make its own OS. Goobuntu's just for internal use only. As for the cellphone, I have no idea. ;-)

I did say layout, not the exact look, lol. I know that the old logo was hideous but that wasn't my point. I really care more about the engine than the layout as long as it's fast and clutterless.

xboxrulz