xisto Community
overkiller

A Quick Start Guide Anyone?

Hey,I really want to learn how to write my own scripts in PHP, but i just cant learn it properly. Ive looked at tutorials and such but just cant seem to grasp it:(I know the basic jist of it but most of the time i just dont know what to put.So basically what im asking is do any of you guys know any sort of tips or tricks or anywhere i could go to learn it?Btw i first want to make a Download system thing if you know what i mean?Thanks in advance:)

You should always start at the beginning, try to make some basic scripts that output some text, contain simple if-else statements, read and output folder content, ... You should learn by trying simple things, especialy if this is your first programming language you're learning.Something else that might help is interpreting php scripts that other people have written. Learning a programming language is actualy not different from learning a normal language.

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

I would say start by using PHP as a standalone interpreter.Do not start by attempting to write dynamic web pages. Write command line based scripts that output some text to the console.Only when you have those down does it makes sense to play with web applications.

Edited by dserban (see edit history)

Another good way to start is by reading the online php tutorial called PHP: A simple tutorial and by downloading the php manual that is available at PHP: Download documentation.

Also, here at the forums exists some good PHP tutorials that you can read.

Best regards,

Basically any net-based technology has amazing tutorials for people with any degree of technical background if you're willing to put in some time to look for them. The only thing you need to remember is to take your time and start simple and work bigger and bigger and everything should work out fine in the end. Good luck!

I think that starting of small is always the best idea. Once you've got a grasp on the basics, have a read of the dummies guide to php and mysql (Details Here). It is a good introduction to integration of php and mysql. defiantly worth a read if you are beginning to code php and mysql.