xisto Community
lonebyrd

File Storage Question?

I'm not sure if that is the right way to write this question, but I'll try to explain it better here. I am looking to make a site that will have various things like: forums, help sections etc.. But I also want to have a place for bigger files that people can download. Is there some kind of online file server, or is this something that comes with the hosting package? The things I am thinking of people downloading are like homemade dungeons, sheets etc. Does anyone know what I can do?

Ummm...I would think that you'd have to pay for the space the file takes up. So yes, I'm sure there's some service that offers a large amount of disk space for your files---it's the same thing as just any kind of space you use to store your regular files. It depends on how big you are expecting your audience to be, but if it is particularly big, you might consider setting up your own server.

Otherwise, there are services out there that offer large amounts of disk space (for equally large amounts of fees). You might be able to work with the paid version of Xisto, i.e., Xisto - Web Hosting. Or you could use something like NearlyFreeSpeech which charges depending on how much disk space you use up, how much bandwidth you use etc. (They have a flat fee per unit).

You could also imagine having a look at some free fileservers. Simply have a look at google, "free file hosting" for instance.Of course, like all the "free" servers, a lot of them are not really reliable, but, in the beginning of your site you could survive with these, and go to paid fileservers if your site experiences increasing success and lack of bandwidth.By the way, remember you must own the copiright licence and distribution rights for each file you offer for downloading, else you are against our rules and your Xisto site cannot host your project.

Thanks for the ideas. I wasn't even sure if i was thinking of the right thing, file server that is. But now that I know I was correct, I will look for something free for now. I wasn't planning on taking other peoples work and making it available for downloading. I was going for original things made by myself or members of the site I would like to make. I guess I will just have to make sure what I get from others isn't copywrighted somewhere else.

I guess I will just have to make sure what I get from others isn't copywrighted somewhere else.

Correct. You are offering the files for download, you have to be sure that you have the copyright. Else, you are guilty. Even if you are not the only one, you are the easily catchable guy.