xisto Community
iGuest

Uni.cc, Free Domains

I found this with the help of Miles, who used to use it for his site.

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

UNI.CC is a free domain site. The only drawback is that your site would be example.uni.cc. I think that this lets your site stand out. Also, if you can't get your own .com because the name's taken, try the uni.cc! Most sites that offer free pages stick their names in the titles. The difference is, UNI.CC doesn't seem to be an ad!

I'm starting up a site here. here's your proof. http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Edited by Aylingling (see edit history)

UNI.CC doesn't seem to be an ad!

You are right, uni.cc adds nothing to your web pages.They even allow you a few space for puting and index.html page, which is very useful if you simply want to have a simple webpage showing your e-mail, a link to your curriculum-vitae (at mycv.info) and a link to your Xisto page as a hobby example.

True, although technically not a domain (rather a subdomain, .cc is a domain) it still allows you to have full control over it. You can have external nameservers or set your host's IP directly through their name servers, which brings it far beyond most free 'domains', and the only thing is that you have to place a small affiliate-style link image in your website footer, which is not a problem, since it's only 90x25 or something similiar to that size.

I used to use uni.cc domains a lot of years ago, it really was one of the greatest services in 2002, it was free, good looking and with real DNS.. I think, I still have some uni.cc domains, but I don't use them, when I got a dot net domain.. As I remember, for some time, maybe for two years, all new accounts created with uni.cc couldn't have DNS, only a redirect to the domain, with a frame as I remember, same as freedomain.co.nrBut all the old accounts could use the DNS service and as I know, for some time now, again uni.cc newly created domains can have a uni.cc :P It's really a good alternative, especially when all the good domains are already in use by others with dot com dot org and dot net etc. :PThe funny thing about this domain service, when you think, that the top level domain is .cc, it's a country code for Cocos (Keeling) Islands and the subdomain, UNI, is something like University? so the University of Cocos? ;) and it's free, so it would seem very attractive for Students, but I guess UNI means, Universal.. but I only can guess. :P

I used to have cjb.net or uni.cc subdomains before I got my kwokinator.com domain name.
xboxrulz

Gosh ! Exactly the domain name I was looking for ! Damned ! And it's in use now ! Aaargh ! Really nice ! knowinator.com is a really great domain name. I should have imaginated it before you !

Since my parent's don't allow me to purchase stuff over the internet, uni.cc is the only thing I can use that doesn't fill your page withg ads.

Since my parent's don't allow me to purchase stuff over the internet, uni.cc is the only thing I can use that doesn't fill your page withg ads.

Xisto also gives you abolutely no ads.I also like qupis.com which gives a small one-line ads at the bottom of your webpage, which is quite acceptable.
However asta remains the best solution.
And, frankly speaking, I thing that yourname.uni.cc is not so shorter than yourname.astahost.com

Xisto also gives you abolutely no ads.I also like qupis.com which gives a small one-line ads at the bottom of your webpage, which is quite acceptable.
However asta remains the best solution.
And, frankly speaking, I thing that yourname.uni.cc is not so shorter than yourname.astahost.com

I'm still using Xisto, I just wanted a domain that doesn't have my site's name as the prefix, like soniccyclone.spruz.com or soniccyclone.ipbfree.com. I perfer having www as the prefix. I'm a bit neurotic in that way, sorry...

Yeah, yourname dot Xisto.com looks quite well, but the advantage of using a uni.cc domain, is that you can change hosting and still have the domain, if the host goes down or anything, is usually down, you could just change it and leave the same domain on search engines.. (I am not talking about Xisto, but there are really a lot of hosts which can go down after a while) ;)

I stay far away from those services...you never know when they'll go the way of .tk and .co.nr and start forcing ads and jump pages on their system...after you give the domain to everyone you know :/