xisto Community
Sohaib1405241555

Web Developing Software THe simplest software for buidling a good and reasonable website

Hi Everyone !!

I want to make a website but I dont wanna use the conventional software like Frontpage or Dreamveawer cuz one has to be a web developer to creat a website using the above mention softwarez. since I know a bit of designing so I created my 1st website using photoshop but what I did is I design the whole page as an image and took it to frontpage and using the hot spot option, I hyperlink the image parts and thuss created my website but obviouslyyy... this is not the professional way of creating websites .you can check my website its URL is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

so Im looking for a web developing software which is very simple and which have simple and fast wizards to creat website of different styles....

plzzzzz do help me if anyone of u have or know any software like thiss..... I hope u understand wat I tried to ask....

Edited by Sohaib (see edit history)

hmm.. I know one software.. I've never tried it myself, but my friend says that it is very good, and cheap :P It is called magix (http://www.magix.com/int/ or something).. try it out :P or you can always learn html, xhtml, dhtml with theese three, you can do stuff better than what a software can do it ;):P

well recommend me a software which u know by yourself.as far as this magix thing is concerned.... well I know a bit of itt its juzz okkk not really good fot developing different kind of website .... I want a software which has different website templates and interfaces for diffferent subjects like celebrities, music, comedy, corporate...

If you ask me I would advise yoou to use notepad++. That is if you know how to use hypertext makeup.

Hi Everyone !!
I want to make a website but I dont wanna use the conventional software like Frontpage or Dreamveawer cuz one has to be a web developer to creat a website using the above mention softwarez. since I know a bit of designing so I created my 1st website using photoshop but what I did is I design the whole page as an image and took it to frontpage and using the hot spot option, I hyperlink the image parts and thuss created my website but obviouslyyy... this is not the professional way of creating websites .you can check my website its URL is http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

so Im looking for a web developing software which is very simple and which have simple and fast wizards to creat website of different styles....

plzzzzz do help me if anyone of u have or know any software like thiss..... I hope u understand wat I tried to ask....

I'd recommend coding the pages with (X)HTML, styling them with CSS, adding special effects with JavaScript and when you move up to a more advanced level, learning a server-side scripting language such as PHP or ASP to work with MySQL or any SQL database.I do not recommend using a WYSIWYG editor as they generate almost always unsemantic code that is often invalid HTML. For coding my pages, I used to use HTML-Kit but now I use Notepad++ more because it is more portable. On Linux, you can use Pico or a graphical text editor such as Gedit (don't know the equivalent for KDE, Kedit?).Remember, web development is different from web design. Designers work with the layout, UI and appearance of the page more (CSS and images). Developers work with the content and how the page works (HTML, XHTML, JavaScript, etc).And yes, using images to design the whole page and then mapping certain sections to links is definitely not the way to go.

One big advantage of Dreamweaver over Frontpage.... I did the exact same page using the WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) method without touching the code itself... and the Frontpage file was approximately 3 times larger than the Dreamweaver file simply because Frontpage put in so much crap code that wasn't needed.

If you can't afford or don't want to use Dreamweaver, then there is an open source web page editor I found called NVU
http://www.laws.com/

Seems to work ok, but I don't know if it'll do what you want.

If you just want to get a basic template designed to put info in for a whole website... Dreamweaver templates work great for that. You make up one basic page with editable regions, and then you create pages based off that template.. That way, if you need to change, say a footer for all your pages, you only have to change the one file that is the template and it automatically updates all the pages based on that file, so you don't have any inconsistencies!

;)

I'd recommend coding the pages with (X)HTML, styling them with CSS, adding special effects with JavaScript and when you move up to a more advanced level, learning a server-side scripting language such as PHP or ASP to work with MySQL or any SQL database.
I do not recommend using a WYSIWYG editor as they generate almost always unsemantic code that is often invalid HTML. For coding my pages, I used to use HTML-Kit but now I use Notepad++ more because it is more portable. On Linux, you can use Pico or a graphical text editor such as Gedit (don't know the equivalent for KDE, Kedit?).

Remember, web development is different from web design. Designers work with the layout, UI and appearance of the page more (CSS and images). Developers work with the content and how the page works (HTML, XHTML, JavaScript, etc).

And yes, using images to design the whole page and then mapping certain sections to links is definitely not the way to go.

Agreed on pretty much all points. I use Notepad++ exclusively for web development, simply because you can get exactly what you want with full control over every aspect. One major advantage of Notepad++ (link for those who have yet to be enlightened) is, in my opinion, the sheer simplicity of it. There's no work done on your files "behind the scenes", which keeps them nice and clean of poorly formed code. It also lets you have multiple tabs open in one window, so you can flick between files (such as HTML files, CSS ones or PHP) all within the same application and develop all of them equally well. That, and I have a love of plaintext editors. ;)

Seriously, though, for templated work you're best off trying something a little more Dreamweaver-y. Working from scracth with Notepad++ and the like works great if you're trying to get to grips with the languages and helps keep you in good practice with properly created files, but it can take a good while to get something half-decent out of it. Personally, I still prefer building my sites from the very first character of the first index page, but that's just me.

If you're looking for a good program, I recommend going along my route, have a look at a HTML programming book ( I still remember looking over internet bible many years ago, around 2003), then learning more on the internet, and applying any previous coding knowledge to learn PHP. It worked for me, and I'm quite young. If you get the temptation to copy and paste, say, hex colours, or table coding, you should do it, because you'll learn how to do it that way eventually. The program you should use is notepad, or if notepad is buggy and messes up the layout of your php, wordpad. At most, use a syntax-highlighting editor, like notepad++, mentioned by some people here.

I think you should just bite the bullet and learn to use Dreamweaver. I'm not a professional website designer, but I took a day to just sit down and learn and fool around in Dreamweaver and Ive created some pretty cool websites. I think the benifits of using a program like Dreamweaver is well worth it in the end.

I started off my HTML programming with CuteHTML. Simple, fast and straight forward. Never liked Dreamweaver, it's a bloat. After I've learn all the syntax and making use of Google, I switch to Eclipse. Have been using it ever since. I do use Notepad++ from time to time. Had a portable version, so I can fix stuffs on site with it.

Well thanks guyz for your response but since Im a Finance related person so Iam not going to learn any software or html etc.While surfing the internet , I found a software called Serif Webplus 10. its a web developing software for those who are not familiar with website designing and developing. this software has many templates and easy-to-use functions. I haven't downloaded it yett so if anyone of you has used this software, please drop your comment on it .

If you want to create a website but don't want to learn any programming, you're best bet is to use a CMS like Wordpress or Movable Type. I'd recommend Wordpress, if only because its much easier to install. All you need to do is set up a MySQL database, which you can do with a few clicks using the admin panels with most free hosting sites.

There is an admin panel with Wordpress that lets you type in the content of a page or post, and it does all of the work for you. You can also download themes to change the site site design, without needing to know any programming. Of course, if you learn some PHP, you'll be able to do a lot more, but its not necessary.

Well thanks JC for your responce. would you please tell me some more about this NVU. I mean like in serif webplus you can add text whereever you like in your page and there is no allignment and positioning problem. and you can add pictures whereever you like which doesn't happen in html editing softwares like frontpage easily.and send me the URL where I can donwload the NVU program.

Well thanks JC for your responce. would you please tell me some more about this NVU. I mean like in serif webplus you can add text whereever you like in your page and there is no allignment and positioning problem. and you can add pictures whereever you like which doesn't happen in html editing softwares like frontpage easily.and send me the URL where I can donwload the NVU program.

NVU is now "discontinued", a better version of NVU is now maintained as KompoZer, which is downloadable for Windows, Mac and Linux from here: http://kompozer.net/

NVU/KompoZer is a WYSIWYG editor and does generate valid HTML pages, it shouldn't have any positioning problems, but I haven't used it much. Give it a try.