xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
dserban

Making Xubuntu Look Like Windows Vista

Mmm, I got a free DVD of xubuntu in the post today (ordered it a few weeks ago, how nice of the makers of xubuntu to send it for free). Perhaps once I've got my spare PC up and running properly again I'll take follow this guide, although I've always found linux hard to use, this seems quite an easy thing, thanks for sharing this link.

Mmm, I got a free DVD of xubuntu in the post today (ordered it a few weeks ago, how nice of the makers of xubuntu to send it for free).

ShipIt
Unfortunately, unlike the other Ubuntu derivatives, Xubuntu does not yet have free cds available for shipping due to lack of funding.

If you're right, I'd love this. I'm completey uncapable of running Vista, and I love Ubuntu. I might just bug my parents to buy an external dvd writer.

edit: Which window managers is Compiz compatable with? All the people I know who use it don't use Ubuntu.
Edited by toby (see edit history)

Haha that's pretty awesome. I personally wouldn't care that much for actually using it, but I love seeing Microsoft's "huge advances in user interface technology" get recreated in another OS without a huge amount of effort, along with giving the user a ton of other customization choices in the process. Good times ;)If I ever finally upgrade and get a videocard that agrees better with the compiz linux stuff I'll have to try all that out just to say I did lol.

omg, that's awsome ;) , I didn't know xfce was that powerfull, I always tought it couldn't do more than a win98 look-a-like :P . Anyway, I'm not going to try it, I have vista installed and almost immediatly disabled the aero interface because the looks don't add any value to the functionality.

Well obviously if you don't care about any visuals that don't add to functionality a lot of aero stuff would be useless (although some of the things like the alt-tab upgrades and whatnot do, to me, add some useful functionality) but to people that enjoy both function and style, or to feel comfortable using a system, etc then these types of visual enhancements can be a welcome addition. I know even in my windows xp install I like to toy with the 'look and feel' from time to time just to try to make things a touch closer to what feels perfect for me.

Well obviously if you don't care about any visuals that don't add to functionality a lot of aero stuff would be useless (although some of the things like the alt-tab upgrades and whatnot do, to me, add some useful functionality) but to people that enjoy both function and style, or to feel comfortable using a system, etc then these types of visual enhancements can be a welcome addition. I know even in my windows xp install I like to toy with the 'look and feel' from time to time just to try to make things a touch closer to what feels perfect for me.

I used to play with themes too a long time ago (I even remember installing windowblinds to transform W98SE into XP because my P1 couldn't handle XP ;) ). The problem with themes is that they get bloody boring after a while, I'm so sick and tired of the blue luna theme, I even started to dislike the colour blue because of it :P . Other themes are nice, but they get boring too after a while and I don't want to waste my time looking for a new look and feel every 2 weeks.
Other than that, I also don't want to waste time and resources on aero, the alt-tab thing is fun, but absolutly not usefull for me.