xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
rockarolla

Graphic Design Program

Paint.NET for sure!

http://www.getpaint.net/

I use it like everyday, I have Photoshop but I ditched it along time ago for paint.NET, it's so good!

You'll need the .NET framework for it to work which you can download free from the Microsoft site.

Although I only really do pixel art, you can do alot of good stuff that Photoshop can do just in a different and more time consuming way.

Ehhh if I check the system requirements I get somehow disharted:

Minimum SystemWindows XP (SP2 or later),
or Windows Vista,
or Windows Server 2003 (SP1 or later)
.NET Framework 2.0
500 MHz processor (Recommended: 800 MHz or faster)
256 MB of RAM (Recommended: 512 MB or more)
1024 x 768 screen resolution
200+ MB hard drive space
64-bit support requires a 64-bit CPU that is running a 64-bit version of Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows Server 2003, and an additional 128 MB of RAM

I ain't sure if I comply with thi requrements...I don't know even how to check it under Windows. Anyway I'll try it out. I take the challeges of the freeware.Thanks

I recommend The GIMP. It is quite popular as an Adobe Photoshop alternative and it is open-source. It is compatible with Windows and Linux (not sure about other operating systems) and has plenty of features. You may find it to be a bit bulky or a bit hard to use at first, but you will get the hang of it as you use it more often.

Here's a link: https://www.gimp.org/

I use Photoshop and I think out of a lot of programs I have enjoyed it the best. I believe it may not be for everybody, and it is pretty pricey, too. But since I have used it the first time, it is for me. I like that is has options to the moon... I haven't tried GIMP to try to compare, but I guess it's good to stick with what you know.

I personally hate the gimp, lol.I downloadedca trial of paintshop pro photo x2 and I'm really impressed with it! I've been thinking about buying it too. Its like $200 Australian which is pretty cheap for what I'd can do! You could buy that if you wanted a commercial graphics program but not as expensive as photoshop!

I personally hate the gimp, lol.

Any reasons? ;-)
Personally, I would recommend the GIMP. For the most part, it is very similar to Photoshop in terms of functions, though at first it can be hard to find where the functions are located if you're switching from Photoshop. The one thing about the GIMP that annoys me is its handling of windows--if you open a new file, it opens a new window in your taskbar instead of containing it all in one window the way Photoshop does. Then when you open the layers and colors palette, it opens even more windows, so if you happen to be switching back and forth between the GIMP and some other program, opening those windows can be a pain.

Paint.NET does indeed look very cool (I tried it a few times on a friend's computer). I might download that to see if I like it, but since I'm not in the mood to relearn a a graphics program, I probably won't switch.