xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Ikhsan4488

Joomla 1.5 Review

i try to give a review for joomla 1.5+ Like all joomla version, joomla installation is easy for begginer. ( not easiest wordpress )New admin interface ( more easy to use )Faster from another versionGreat in SEO- A lot of plugin, module and component that not designed for joomla 1.5

I've been using Joomla 1.5 ever since RC3 and I've really loved it and I'm glad that 1. I chose to use a CMS and 2. I chose to use Joomla!What I'm not entirely happy about is the lack of components avaiable for it. I know it will take people time to make them so I'm not going to get that angry.I think Joomla needs to do more out of the box. It's perfect for what it's actually meant to be, a content management system, but it could be better by having things built in. I think an ACL (access control level) should definately be included and from memory they were going to make Joomla 1.6 just to add one. There aren't even any plugins or anything for Joomla 1.5 to do it yet. I think it should also come with a comments system as it seems to be like a standard thing it should have and something I really need.Joomla overall is a great CMS and I highly recommend it, but it just needs some more built in features.

I've tried joomla 1.5 a few days ago and it did like it. However, like Sten said, the lack of components and modules that work. The new API seems more powerfull, but also more complex (for creating templates).

Templates are easy to make!

Just make one like normal with CSS and XHTML. You've probably played with something before where you use things like {content} or {name} to show something. With Joomla to show things just change them to things like <jdoc:include type="modules" name="left" /> and things like that. The name is the position that you have to specify in the templateDetails.xml file, which is also easy to make.

http://compassdesigns.net/ << That's where I learned from!

Joomla is a pretty impressive content management system. It offers the user a quick and easy way to build websites. But it lacks the more advanced coding structure of that many sites can have. But it does its job, and that is producing website templates. In the hand of a user that knows the ins and outs of joomla, it can possible be the content management system that all real html coders bow down to. I tried joomla a while back, and couldnt get a feel for it, because I was already used to notepad coding and dreamweaver. So the use of a content management system wasnt necessary for a person like me. I like to build stuff from scratch and debug it, and not have to deal with a transparent layer. I believe that with the advancement of content management systems these days, coders like me probably will not be needed, or less likely to be needed, because the content managment systems are very accurate in its coding structure. But time will tell who will need who, heh.