xisto Community
Eggie

Vlc Media Player

VideoLAN - VLC media player
About VideoLAN
VideoLAN is a software project, which produces free software for video, released under the GNU General Public License.
Learn more about the VideoLAN project.

Our main product is the cross-platform VLC media player.

VLC media player 0.8.6d, VideoLAN Security Advisory 0703

2007-11-30

VLC media player versions 0.8.6 to 0.8.6c suffer from a security vulnerability in the ActiveX plugin. More technical details are available in our advisory.
An updated release of VLC is available which includes a few other fixes as well, notably better compatibility with MacOSX 10.5 Leopard. The full list of changes can be found here.
We strongly recommend all users to update to this new version.
Note that early and broken Win32 binaries have been distributed by third party websites. Make sure to download from an official VideoLAN mirror to avoid disappointment.
VLC to remain under GPL version 2

2007-09-29

Future versions of VLC media player as published by VideoLAN.org will be licensed under GPL version 2 inspite of the newly released GPL version 3. See the press release here.
Updated Mac OS X packages for VLC 0.8.6c

2007-06-25

The previous VLC 0.8.6c binaries for Mac OS X fail to run on non-administrator accounts due to a packaging problem.
If you need to run VLC on restricted accounts, please download the package again. There is no security issue involved and no other platform was affected.
Sorry for the disturbance.
VLC media player 0.8.6c, VideoLAN Security Advisory 0702

2007-06-17

VLC media player versions 0.8.6b and lower suffer from a security vulnerability in the CDDA, Vorbis, Theora and SAP plugins. More technical details are available in our advisory.
An updated release of VLC is available which includes a few other fixes as well. The full list of changes can be found here.
We strongly recommend all users to update to this new version.
VideoLAN won a Lutèce d'or

2007-06-13

VideoLAN was awarded a Lutèce d'Or during the latest Paris Capitale du Libre event, a technology event aimed to recognize achievements in open source development.
VideoLAN received "The best Free Software development" prize for VLC media player, one year after the Mozilla Foundation received it for Firefox.

quote from their page...check it out

Edited by Jeigh (see edit history)

I am using VLC media player for watching Video, sometimes for playing Music or an Audio CD which I don't want to be scrobbled by last.fm when using Winamp :)But when VLC can't show the file normally or doesn't have sound or etc. I just play it through Quick Time Alternative, it usually works on most video and music files out there and if it doesn't, I try Windows Media Player, but usually I don't and just delete the file :)To tell the truth, as I know VLC isn't just a media player, it is really very powerful when you see the features list, it can stream and you can even do things I think with IPTV or Internet movie translating through LAN or etc. Don't really know.. same as the popular image viewer Irfanview, it's not just an image viewer, it almost can do everything ;) and still is light. ;)

Personally I love VLC. While I'll admit to stll using Windows Media Player and a few others from time to time I use VLC more often by far. It has way better luck playing DVD's that I've copied then other programs for some reason so I stick to it. I'm a movie buff so always have movies playing BUT I know I'm rough with my disks so prefer to use copies rather than risk scratching the originals to hell. ANyways yea, VLC offers alot, is lightweight, has great compatibility and is free. It's usually the first thing I download on new linux installs if it doesn't come pre-bundled and it's always a program I recommend to people who don't have it yet.

I use it a lot in Linux when the players included with Ubuntu don't support a format. It's very good, you'll find it on a lot of desktops I'm sure, and it's free so I recommend it fully. With it being free, you have nothing to lose, and in my case, it took a minute or so to install, less than windows media player for sure.