xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
joseph0829

Afraid Of Updating My Wordpress

currently i have a wordpress version 2.3.1, but wordpress currently release version 2.3.2. but i dont know how to update it, im simply afraid of updating it it might be i'll be loosing my posts and comments when i update it. i've already searched a lot of articles about updating wordpress but still i can't follow their instructions they're not clear at all. could someone give me clear instructions to update my worpress... please thanks ...

If the databases and tables are set up the same, you could back the database up and then restore it once you have installed the new version of Wordpress.I've only used wordpress a couple of times and haven't had a serious look at it, I don't know much about it. And since I'm learning to use Joomla at the moment, I probably won't learn how to use it.

It is very easy to upgrade wordpress, just upload and replace the files in your wordpress directory with the newer files, every file has a modification or creation date, it is usually easy visible in an ftp client, after you've done, just use the upgrade.php file and thats all, if your configuration file has all the details of database name, user and password, it will use the same DB and you'll be using newer WP version..The main problem with upgrading is: don't delete all the files and upload new files, you don't have to do that, because you need the config file and besides, some files are modified by your needs if you have added a new template or edited something yourself, if you didn't and are using the default, then only config file is needed..I wish wordpress would again would be releasing upgrade packages, with only changed/edited files from the last release, but maybe it is only a waste of time though. ^_^