xisto Community
dserban

I Thought It Was _my_ Sql, Now Sun Owns It

I think is going to be great for MySQL. They are going to now huge a huge corporation behind them. The first article also raises the valid point about company taking over an open source initiative. As it says in the article,

Given Sun’s proven track record as the largest contributor to Open Source, I think MySQL users have plenty of reason to feel happy about the acquisition. There are many companies that attempt to ride the wave of positive attention towards Open Source, but in my judgement, Sun gets it right. Sun gets Open Source. Java has been released under the GPL. There’s the OpenSolaris operating system. There’s Open Office / Star Office. There’s the GlassFish application server. There’s the NetBeans IDE tool. And more.

Source:http://planet.mysql.com/
I think we can look forward to big things, while also no major changes.
Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

I can't decide if it's a good move or not. Whether it's better being owned by a larger company or an independent open source project.I'd just like to know what they're going to do to it and how different new versions will be, or if they'll be the same.

Considering that MySQL powers some of the largest sites, this might be a nice strategic move to get a foot into the RDBMS game and wag it back to the likes of Oracle and M$. However, I hope they keep it alive and healthy for the open source community. I cannot imagine LAMP without the strong "M" in it.

Well, I also can't see if it is any good or it isn't any good, but MySQL is quite powerful these days and is very usable, so it is a good choice for Sun, furthermore, Sun is a quite big company, it has the right open source spirit as quoted from the blog and I truly think that they have good developers to do the job, I even think most of us won't see much of a difference, even if not everyone are Java developers, I just hope so. ^_^

As long as they don't change the licensing on MySQL I don't care who owns it. On the other hand, if they **** with the licensing of MySQL, people may just flock to the happily BSD-licensed PostgreSQL.

I am personaly neutral on the switch. I was about to post a topic about this... but you beat me to it. Anyways, I don't really mind. Sun seems a nice company that isn't similiar to most, since they make open source software. So long as they don't change the license of mysql, I don't mind. If they change it to allow in some small restrctions, I wouldn't mind. But if they gone and changed the open source license to something more commerical, I'd hate them for it.