xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
DarkDivinity

Windows Vs Mac Vs Linux The greatest OS?

Windows VS Mac VS Linux  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gaming is the one subject that shuts up Mac and Linux users when they're trying to justify their operating system. Windows has always been and will probably continue to be the best operating system for gaming. However, whether or not it is the best operating system as a whole is still questionable. I haven't used any of these operating systems to their full potential and haven't had a problem using any of them. Even people who do differ in their preference though. I hate these arguments that can be won either way.

~*~linden

They all have their positive and negative points, depending on what you want these points can make or break an OS.

Windows

The best thing about windows is that most people use it thus having the biggest group of people that can help you when there is a problem. The most used os also runs on every computer (you're not bound to buying a Mac) and many application (freeware, games, software that is used in companies) are available for this os.

The strength of this os is 'most', but it's also it's weakness. Because it has to be compatible with most hardware, it might not get the best out of it and even have some compatibility problems (resulting in unstability and/or crashes). The security of this os isn't worse as the others, but since it's the most used os, it's also the main target of hackers, crackers and virus writers.

MacOS

This is the os I have the least experience with. The downside of this os is that you're bound to buying an (way to expensive) mac and that there aren't as many applications for it. The positive thing is that this os can get the best out of your hardware ... tough the build quality of the hardware has seriously degraded since Macs became popular.

Linux

I can probably write dozens of papers about this os, it's like a jar filled with different kinds of candy. If you say linux, you don't refer to an os, you refer to something incredibly variable. Linux is a system that runs on everything, computers, dvd-players, cars, ... you name it. If we look at linux as a desktop os, we are still talking about over 100 different kinds of os'es. They all have something in common, being the kernel (and even those differ).

That is probably the biggest problem with linux, there is too many of it. You can't simply say "I'll install linux on my computer", there's a shitload of choises you have to make; distribution (package manager), window manager, cd or dvd version (how many apps do you want pre-installed), free or payed, ...

Another downside compared to windows and macos is that it isn't as user friendly, altough it's getting better. I recenlty installed openSuse and it's actualy a lot easier to use compared to RedHat 6 ;) .

And that's why I selecet all oses in the list ;)

Aah crap ... I just realised that I've typed all this because I've missed the word gaming in the starters topic ^_^ .

In that case ... windows is the best sine it has the best graphics drivers and every game runs on it (neglecting vista of course)

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

I still work on windows for the sole purpose of gaming and communicating with a web cam...the rest I prefer to work out using linux - I am using a very old P II on 299 MHz.Never had experience with Mac except at work.

I'd still say Linux no matter what in Gaming. Sure it has the best games, but the same Windows games (depending on which) can run on Linux a lot faster (granted, most won't even run). I don't even like DirectX anyways, openGL all the way, that's why I love id games.If Linux has as many games as Windows does, Microsoft will have to kiss their system good-bye due to many strong advantages of having Linux than Windows.xboxrulz