xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
kxrain

What If Cars Have No Wheels But Floats?

What if cars have no wheels but floats? I think its possible cuz some trains are floating some sort of magnetic thing. What if roads have also that magnetic thing..cars can now float..ayt??

That would be harder and far far more expensive to add than trams. It's the same idea, something in the ground. Anyway, the Maglev trains are more like a monorail, they hover off a thick wall like a metre square block in their track, so how would you turn another direction?

We have hovercrafts, what we need is a hovercraft that can change altitude. We could fit alot more cars on our streets that way, and a 2 lane road could become a 10 or so lane road. with cars above eachother.

In this day and age, I think a lot more stuff are becoming more and more possible... It has me pondering that is it a safe idea!? I think that as time goes along, people are become WORSE drivers than ever.... not only would we have accidents on the ground, but I could see cars from Back to the Future colliding with planes! Sorry, maybe that was just a really big buzz-kill... But I think the idea behind things are very fascinating... I just think it needs to see how things will affect real life.

actually there is a guy by the name of Paul Moller that has been working on such a thing for the last 40 years. unfortunately he has failed to deliver a "for sale" product as of yet. and I think to be able to use such a thing would require a pilots license (maximum ceiling to be 36,000 feet)

as for safety I am sure there will be people unable to safely operate it that will end up with one just like those uninformed with the first microwaves that end up hurting them selves or others but this is the way with any technology. even the air bag meant to save lives has busted up it's fair share of noses and even killed a few people that otherwise would have survived the "crash" that activated it

Moller's flying car site:

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

This is all a load of trip

What if cars have no wheels but floats? I think its possible cuz some trains are floating some sort of magnetic thing. What if roads have also that magnetic thing..cars can now float..ayt??

--------------------

Moartized your world with

toby

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Jan 11 2008, 04:07 PM Post #2

Premium Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,228

That would be harder and far far more expensive to add than trams. It's the same idea, something in the ground. Anyway, the Maglev trains are more like a monorail, they hover off a thick wall like a metre square block in their track, so how would you turn another direction?

rraallvv

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Jan 11 2008, 09:05 PM Post #3

Advanced Member

Group: Banned
Member No.: 27,304

Take a look at this...

http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

It may be the future just right now

--------------------

Don't Reply to my topics as most are copied and will be deleted soon

toby

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Jan 11 2008, 10:37 PM Post #4

Premium Member

Member No.: 16,228

Err.. no, thats a hot air ballon. They had one of those on Top Gear and said it weighed something like 6lbs.

Shawn

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Jan 12 2008, 01:49 AM Post #5

Newbie [ Level 1 ]

Member No.: 27,551

QUOTE(kxrain @ Jan 11 2008, 08:04 AM)

if a car had no wheels and floated... wouldnt that make it a boat?

kxrain

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Jan 12 2008, 04:05 AM Post #6

Member - Active Contributor

Member No.: 27,482

if a car had no wheels and floated... wouldnt that make it a boat?

lol...if its a boath then its not a car..lol

--------------------

Moartized your world with

Habble

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Jan 12 2008, 05:15 AM Post #7

Premium Member

Group: [HOSTED]
Member No.: 22,699

Warn: (20%)

We have hovercrafts, what we need is a hovercraft that can change altitude. We could fit alot more cars on our streets that way, and a 2 lane road could become a 10 or so lane road. with cars above eachother.

--------------------

Phwoo! Ping! Twirr! Glarble! Bloop!
Email me at one of these addresses:
admin@habble-aus.com
habble.rares@gmail.com
Full Edit
Quick Edit

srgates91

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Jan 12 2008, 02:09 PM Post #8

Newbie [ Level 2 ]

Member No.: 27,563

that would be really cool except we dont live in Venice!

Eggie

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Jan 19 2008, 05:48 PM Post #9

Advanced Member

Member No.: 27,735

well. i wouldnt like floating cause i couldnt drive my bike like hell

skedad

View Member Profile
Add as Friend
Send Message
Find Member's Topics
Find Member's Posts Jan 19 2008, 06:24 PM Post #10

Premium Member

Group: [HOSTED]
Member No.: 24,384

In this day and age, I think a lot more stuff are becoming more and more possible... It has me pondering that is it a safe idea!? I think that as time goes along, people are become WORSE drivers than ever.... not only would we have accidents on the ground, but I could see cars from Back to the Future colliding with planes! Sorry, maybe that was just a really big buzz-kill... But I think the idea behind things are very fascinating... I just think it needs to see how things will affect real life.

I think hovering cars like those shown in the Jetsons are very possible, and could actually probably be created with the modern technology we possess. However, I do not think there is enough money (that the government would provide) to put the idea into production. Also, you would have to think about all the traffic signs, among other things, that would need to be installed, and each traffic sign would require floating devices or a very long vertical pole to hang from (if your talking about a 10 vertical lane street). It would actually be a very cool idea though, because with 10 lanes traffic would be much less dense, and Rush Hour wouldn't be a problem as the cars could just expand upwards. However, on the contrary, switching lanes would be a pain because you would have to check up down as well as left and right. Also, if air riding was allowed without roads or certain paths you would have to follow than driving would be a much more enjoyable and individual experience.

Sounds like a great idea if you live in the world of the Jetsons. However we live in the real worl where such things simply are not practical at all. Think about some of the obvious complications. What happens when your car breaks down? The sudden plummet to Earth is going to be a bad thing when something goes wrong mechanically. How do you stop? I am unaware of any air vehicle that can slam on the brakes when someone pulls in front of them. Speaking of pulling in front of people I see too many drivers that can barely keep track of other vehicles in 2 dimensions, adding a third would be a disaster. This are just a couple issues the scientific ines not withstanding. How come floating cars in fiction never have anything providing lift?