xisto Community
kxrain

Does Science Answer All Our Questions?

Does science answer all our questions??The fact is, if we refer to scientific ideas science do answer all our question. I agree in scientific results. But when science and religion is involved in the situation I get confused. You who reads this do science answer your questions?

Short answer: Science always creates more questions than it answers.Here is a simple illustration (I am paraphrasing). Near the end of the 19th Century, the claim was going around that all of physical science (speed of light, acceleration of gravity, etc) had been completed, and what remained was to refine the numbers to more decimal digits. This idea was popular, despite the fact that radioactive materials (uranium, radium) had recently been discovered, and their properties were only very vaguely understood.Science is basically a way of looking at the world. It has no monopoly on truth, nor even on valuable understanding. The 20th century showed clearly that powerful personalities (Stalin, Hitler, Roosevelt, Churchill, Ghandi) can persuade tens of millions of people to move in one direction. This can swamp other human activities.The Egyptians and Greeks knew the layout of the planets, the diameter of the Sun and many other very subtle features of the solar system (like the precession of Earth's poles) long before the birth of Jesus. It was not the science, but personalities, politics and battles that caused this information to be lost for more than 1,000 years.

Well there's science that generally does answer all of our questions but then there's the religous people who go by the bible. That's where it gets annoying, religous vs science can be a pain.

Science doesn't answer all our questions. Nothing can answer all our questions. (For example, science can't answer the question "Cn science answer all our questions?", can it?)It can answer certain types of questions, though. But as docduke pointed out, it also creates more questions.It all depends on what sort of questions you want answered

Science doesn't answer all our questions. Nothing can answer all our questions. (For example, science can't answer the question "Cn science answer all our questions?", can it?)It can answer certain types of questions, though. But as docduke pointed out, it also creates more questions.

It all depends on what sort of questions you want answered

Haha.. have you seen the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy film? It'll make you hate those questions.

Haha.. have you seen the HitchHikers guide to the galaxy film? It'll make you hate those questions.

^_^ Yes I have, actually. I've also read the whole series.I love the whole answer to life, the universe and everything. They need to know the question...

:) Yes I have, actually. I've also read the whole series.I love the whole answer to life, the universe and everything. They need to know the question...

Hehe, as funny as that is, the question "what is your question?", is probably the most important question ?!?
We can only find what we are looking for, and sometimes you can't only know what to look for until you have answered a whole fleet of other questions.

I think yes, we can figure out how things work even things which may be relegated to 'fantasy' at this stage. Baby steps people, baby steps.

Cheers
Hoopa

No. There are many questions science can not answer. To be able to give a scientific answer to any question one has to be able to observe and in some way test the subject of the question, and it has to be possible for someone else to confirm the results.Unanswerable questions: What is the meaning of life? (This question assumes that life has a meaning, other than the meaning we give it.) There really are ghosts, but only people who believe in them can see them. Is this true? (There is no way to tell whether the people who claim to see them are seeing something real or only hallucinating.)What does an electron look like? (no one has ever seen one.) Was Henry James a better writer than Mark Twain? (In my opinion, no, but that's just a personal opinion. All such questions are largely determined by personal opinion unless everyone first agrees on what makes one writer better than another. The probability of such agreement must be near zero.)thx sorry about my english if i made some misteaks:)

"what will I have for breakfast?". I think these sort of questions (in time) could be answered. I'm not sure anyone would care, but they could probably be answered. e.g. as a person grows up they experience things, different foods, situations, emotions etc. A bad experience while eating one food may lead to bad memory when eating that food, and thus a dislike for that food. The opposite could be true for a positive experience. We do not yet understand a human brain, but perhaps one day we'll understand enough to read a humans memories and thought processes, and be able to calculate what I will decide to have for breakfast. As I said, I'm sure no-one will care, but we may work it out one day. Oh, if you've ever watched TV, then you've probably seen an electron in a state where we can control them enough to draw moving pictures with them.Cheers,Hoopa

Are you going to philosophy the question, or are you going to go with the simple day by day approach.Day to day answers are everywhere thanks to today's technology. And it is a pretty remarkable achievement. Wake up to an alarm clock, most days it is an electric to an old wind up. And then you have breakfast and hit the showers. Maybe you watch the news on a plasma TV in the mornings, when your grandparents would listen to a radio. You leave for work or school in some type of vehicle. And we all have heard the days of which people had to walk to where they were going. But you know, that people can enjoy walking, or even biking with ipods and mp3 players. You can even just chat away or surf the net while walking through the park.I think the day to day advantages are through science, but for the more LIFE issues... Religion will take over, and I will not go into all of the great advantages when it comes to life and that type of spirit.As long as you don't let your technology take over your life, then it is nice to have nice things... but they don't answer your questions, they just make things easier.

dominating ideas?Does Science Answer All Our Questions?

As someone has said "Feelings are the masters and intellects are servant", may due to this people prefer to by religious way than by  intellectual thinking.

-reply by chetan