xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
JohnKercheval

Win Xp Pro X64 Bit- Emulators & Compatibility Emulators for Win x64

Win XP x64 is fully backward compatible to 32 bit softwares using the built in WOW32 technology. Although, 16 bit application support have been discontinued because Microsoft can't go on carrying them forever. So, what you actually need is a 16 bit Emulator. DOSBox is one of the popular ones. You can find more by googling.Many softwares can't get past the Installation point in Win XP x64. This is because the setup validation fails for the Operating System. Many such applications can be run by Copy-Pasting the files and (if required) importing the registry settings. Although, complex applications such as Antivruses designed for 32 bit environments are not likely to run. Perhaps because they need to install drivers or something like that.

I heard that DOSBox is a DOS emulatoir, will it run 16-Bit WINDOWS software?

John

Win XP x64 is fully backward compatible to 32 bit softwares using the built in WOW32 technology. Although, 16 bit application support have been discontinued because Microsoft can't go on carrying them forever. So, what you actually need is a 16 bit Emulator. DOSBox is one of the popular ones. You can find more by googling.
Many softwares can't get past the Installation point in Win XP x64. This is because the setup validation fails for the Operating System. Many such applications can be run by Copy-Pasting the files and (if required) importing the registry settings. Although, complex applications such as Antivruses designed for 32 bit environments are not likely to run. Perhaps because they need to install drivers or something like that.

If you are not ready to jump to 64-bit yet (which most people should be, only people with Windows is still stuck there on 64-bit processors), then you should just simply go back to 32-bit to ease the confusion. However, if you must use 64-bit, then you will have no choice but to either ditch 16-bit, which should be ditched a long time ago or follow turbopowerdmaxsteel's (man, your name is long) suggestion and install virtual machines. All 64-bit processors have hardware virtual machine support. That means that the CPU is capable of making virtual machine faster instead of going all software-emulation, the hardware can also do some emulating.Plus, you get a much better X86-64 support on Windows Vista than you do with XP. The XP x86-64 support is like beta and Vista is the real thing.xboxrulz

I'm new to the whole emulator thing and I was wondering how I can play sega genesis games on my windows vista pc.Also, I'm confused about what to do once I've downloaded the emulator

-reply by chris

Most virtualisation software including VMware allow you to run a 32-bit guest operating system on a 64-bit operating system. It is also possible to run a 64-bit guest operating system on a 32-bit host operating system as long as the CPU supports 64-bit.I chose to run 32-bit Windows Vista on my 64-bit compatible computer since not many programs out there at the moment can utilise the 64-bit architecture, with most relying on just 32-bit architecture, though tecnically I should have bought a 64-bit copy of Windows Vista to fully utilise my 4GB of memory.32-bit software can be run on 64-bit systems as the operating system includes a 32-bit emulator. However, you will find that those programs operate slower than if run on a 32-bit system because of the extra processing required with the emulator.

Most virtualisation software including VMware allow you to run a 32-bit guest operating system on a 64-bit operating system. It is also possible to run a 64-bit guest operating system on a 32-bit host operating system as long as the CPU supports 64-bit.
I chose to run 32-bit Windows Vista on my 64-bit compatible computer since not many programs out there at the moment can utilise the 64-bit architecture, with most relying on just 32-bit architecture, though tecnically I should have bought a 64-bit copy of Windows Vista to fully utilise my 4GB of memory.

32-bit software can be run on 64-bit systems as the operating system includes a 32-bit emulator. However, you will find that those programs operate slower than if run on a 32-bit system because of the extra processing required with the emulator.

There's no emulator for 32-bit software on x86-64 processors. The long mode in x86-64 can run 64-bit and 32-bit at the same time. That's why x86-64 is more successful than IA64 which will require 32-bit emulation in order for it to run.

Running the processor in long mode actually allows you to run 16-bit, 32-bit and 64-bit. However, it's just a Windows limitation that you can't run 16-bit software in a 64-bit operating system since there is not much a reason why you would want to. They removed NTVDM which is what made 16-bit software possible on 32-bit Windows.

Windows x64 basically runs the whole system as 64-bit. All the system components are 64-bit. However, Microsoft retains 32-bit libraries and components so that programs can link back to it. It launches an extra layer (like a wrapper) when it detects a 32-bit application being launched called Windows on Windows 64 (WoW64). WoW64 contains all the 32-bit facilities that allows 32-bit software natively on 64-bit systems.

Linux also does something similar to this in order to run 32-bit Linux software on 64-bit Linux systems.

Luckily for those with 32-bit Windows licenses, all you have to do is to torrent a 64-bit image (this is perfectly legal since you have the license to do it). A 32-bit license can be used on a 64-bit copy of Windows.

deltatux

Installing HardwareWin Xp Pro X64 Bit- Emulators & Compatibility

Hi.

I'm having problems installing the drivers and software of my scanner in my Windows XP 64 bits, the application just don't run.

I was wondering if I can use a virtual machine to run it. I'm totally stuck here!

and it will be lovely if anyone here point out  an specific virtual machine software

Thanks

-question by Laynnox

installion of 32 bit i=operating system on 64 bit AMD PROCESSOR especially NeeoWin Xp Pro X64 Bit- Emulators & Compatibility

hello

I want to install NEEO's Window on my PC having 64 bit AMD Processor but it is giving error during installion as INSTALLING DEVICES NETWORK at this point my PC stops and no response other all window are compatibilty with my PC except this NEEO'Window updated in Pakistan please guide me

thanks

-reply by nadeem

Windows 7 claims to have 32-bit compatibility for games and the like. In practice they do not, requiring a re-purchase of your games via gog.Com in order to play anything.

If I'd known 7 was going to be this much trouble I would have gone to Linux and WiNE. At least with that I know I can eventually play my games once I figure out how to configure it.

Actually That's not correct.

Dosbox will run windows 3.11 for workgroups quite happily (and subsequently windows 3.11 16 bit programs)

Bought XP PRO for use on my 32 bit Dell2400 Win Xp Pro X64 Bit- Emulators & Compatibility

Yikes! Can I load WIN XP PRO on a 32 bit machine? (DELL 2400)  Just bought XP PRO and I HATE returning things. Is it too difficult to make compatible and usable, ( by my 84 year old  brain)?

Can someone explain the buzzwords and make this easy for me to understand?

Or do I have to return it when I get it and wait a week, if I'm lucky, for credit.

-question by Michael P Gabriel