xisto Community
Akhan

"triskadecaphobia" Believe Or Not?

THis is so weird, I was reading a trivia book yesterday and it mentioned it, and it was the first time I'd ever heard of it...It's just superstition

THis is so weird, I was reading a trivia book yesterday and it mentioned it, and it was the first time I'd ever heard of it...
It's just superstition

Maybe that's a hint on something.. ;) just joking.

But I'm kind of a believer of those. And some others.. Friggatriskaidekaphobia, which means walking under a ladder and breaking a mirror. ^_^

How could it not be real? I mean you can argue semantics, like saying its only superstition... but its not saying its a LEGITIMATE fear of the #13 but only that those afflicted are in fact afraid of the #13. Therefor regardless of the logic the person has for being afraid it would still be a phobia that 'exists'. I'm not saying I can comprehend how you could be afraid of 13 but I couldn't argue that the phobie doesn't exist.

Well i dont know about the number 13.. yes there have been some abnormalities regarding the number 13.I guess all the fear or 'phobia' of that number started when the series of events deemed Friday the 13th, a day that is most unlucky.I am sure some of you reading this have heard of or seen the movie "The Number 21"This movie similarly expreses the abnormalities of the number 21I know this might be a bit of a spoiler for those of you who haven't seen the movie yet.But, what i believe the movie is trying to depict is if you truly believe that you can find the number '21' in everything, you can.the paradoxical part is, if normal individuals cannot seem to find the number 21 is everything, it can be considered that you are not looking well enough. i guess this is the balancing act, that we call equilibrium.I think this theory applies to everything. If you truly believe that you can find a number in all that is perceivable, it is possible.and if you are able to do so and begin to believe that that this number '21' is the existence or the "finding" of God in all things, i hope this discovery does not drive one to insanity or in retrospect it might be the ultimate liberation.Regards to all...

I have heard of much fear of the number 13. I do not know much , but I understand why people fear friday the 13th. It comes from two bad things, a number and a day of the week:Friday was the day when Jesus was supposedly crucified, understandably christians seem to dislike that day.13 could be this, 12 is considered a 'completion' number, as in the twelfth month of the year is the last. 13 could be viewed as irregular or odd due to coming after 12.Combining both of those could lead to something bad. I'm guessing that is the origin of the superstition.

How could it not be real? I mean you can argue semantics, like saying its only superstition... but its not saying its a LEGITIMATE fear of the #13 but only that those afflicted are in fact afraid of the #13. Therefor regardless of the logic the person has for being afraid it would still be a phobia that 'exists'. I'm not saying I can comprehend how you could be afraid of 13 but I couldn't argue that the phobie doesn't exist.

Can't fault that logic. If you use conditioning to associate something bad with an action or an object then over time a person (animal even) might become afraid of it. I could see how people could get a bad impression of Fridays if someone just came along and killed their saviour on a Friday.

An experiment that a friend described to me.
Several monkeys in a cage. In the cage was a ladder. At the top of the ladder was a bananna. When the monkeys when to take the bananna, they were sprayed with a fire hose. Over time the monkeys learnt not try and take the bananna or they would be sprayed. Another monkey was added. He then went for the bananna, and the other monkeys dragged him back because they knew what was going to happen. The new monkey learnt that the bananna was a bad thing. Over time the monkeys were rotated out of the cage until none of the original monkeys remained. Another monkey was added. He then went for the bananna, and the other monkeys dragged him back, despite the fact none of them had ever actually been sprayed ;)

sure why not, people can be afraid of anything... and i would like to add, there does not need to be a good argument to be afraid of anything... in the first place at least... an important thing is to just realize that you are afraid and then you can work further on out from that