xisto Community
TavoxPeru

Access 97 To Access 2003

I need to convert a database that is in Access 97 to Access 2003 but every time i do it using the Convert tools of Access 2003 i got some errors and can't change or add any of the objects -tables, querys, etc- of the converted database.All the errors i got are related to the user priviligies and permissions of the database, is there exists a way or procedure that allows me to reset this permissions???Best regards,

I think it's easier if you export then import the database into a new database. That can also overcome some flaws in the access 97. Another way is to add the old database into ODBC, then use access 2003 to open it, then duplicate/copy the table into the new database. You can then setup the permission manually.

Thanks for your help faulty.lee, later i will try both options but i guess that the second one is the best choice, so that's the one that i will try first.

Best regards,

I think it's easier if you export then import the database into a new database. That can also overcome some flaws in the access 97. Another way is to add the old database into ODBC, then use access 2003 to open it, then duplicate/copy the table into the new database. You can then setup the permission manually.

Only to say that both options don't work and i'm not be able to work with this database.
Best regards,

Only to say that both options don't work and i'm not be able to work with this database.
Best regards,

Hmm, where did you get this database in the first place. Can you view the data inside the original database?

Hmm, where did you get this database in the first place. Can you view the data inside the original database?

I got this database from a client of mine, and i can't view any data inside it, also, i can't export, import, corvert, etc. Yesterday i just install Access 97 and with it i can create any new object like tables, queries, modules, etc.
Best regards,

I got this database from a client of mine, and i can't view any data inside it, also, i can't export, import, corvert, etc. Yesterday i just install Access 97 and with it i can create any new object like tables, queries, modules, etc.
Best regards,

Ah, ok. If you can't read, then you can never export. I thought your initial problem was you can't change the data and it's structure. Anyway, good to hear that you can work on it now. Try to export it and use a newer version if possible. Access 97 seems to be quite old, and might be problematic or at least having limitation to cop up with the current trend. Unless you're using vb6, I don't see any reason to stick with it.

Good Luck

Ah, ok. If you can't read, then you can never export. I thought your initial problem was you can't change the data and it's structure. Anyway, good to hear that you can work on it now. Try to export it and use a newer version if possible. Access 97 seems to be quite old, and might be problematic or at least having limitation to cop up with the current trend. Unless you're using vb6, I don't see any reason to stick with it.
Good Luck

Not only i can't change the data and it's structure, also i can't open any table to view its data or select it with a simple query. Exactly, the only reason why i need this database is because my client needs some new tables and queries to be created -my work- and all the data is based on the tables of this database, nothing more.

Well, i don't work with VB6 for a long long time but i guess that it would be a good choice, and i hope that VB6 allows me to work with this database and finally i can perform my work.

Thanks again and Best regards,

access generates mysql code? ^_^

I try to convert it to mysql but i'm not be able to do this because i can't read any table of the database.
This problem is gonna make me ;)

Best regards,

Hello, to assist in resolving this issue I have a few questions that need to be answered. The database in question: Are you working with it directly? Is the .mdb file on your local machine?Is the database set up as a single user application or as a client/server app?If the Database has a front end are you able to create or edit data through it? Did your client provide you with a user name and password to work on the database?Have you attempted to open the database file exclusively?Does the client have a backup of the workgroup file?Have you tried to delete and replace it?Lastly, for now, what is your exact error message? Answering these questions may well lead you to a resolution if not post the answers.

Hello, to assist in resolving this issue I have a few questions that need to be answered.

The database in question:

Are you working with it directly? Is the .mdb file on your local machine?

Is the database set up as a single user application or as a client/server app?

If the Database has a front end are you able to create or edit data through it?

Did your client provide you with a user name and password to work on the database?

Have you attempted to open the database file exclusively?

Does the client have a backup of the workgroup file?

Have you tried to delete and replace it?

Lastly, for now, what is your exact error message?

Answering these questions may well lead you to a resolution if not post the answers.

Ok, here are my answers:

Yes, i'm working with it directly in my local machine, i made a copy of the database to work with.

It is setup as a single user application running on a LAN.

Yes, it has a front end, which is not developed in Access.

No, they don't.

Yes, i try to open it exclusively without success.

Not sure about this but i guess that they don't have any backup of the workgroup file or of the database.

What do you mean, to delete the database and replace it localy or at my client office?

The error that Access shows me up when i try to open any of its tables or queries either in design or data mode is Couldn't read definitions; no read definitions permissions for table or query 'table_name'. Also, when i try to export it to any other Access version i got another error that is very similar, something related with the user permissions.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

Ok, here are my answers:

Yes, i'm working with it directly in my local machine, i made a copy of the database to work with.

It is setup as a single user application running on a LAN.

Yes, it has a front end, which is not developed in Access.

No, they don't.

Yes, i try to open it exclusively without success.

Not sure about this but i guess that they don't have any backup of the workgroup file or of the database.

What do you mean, to delete the database and replace it localy or at my client office?

The error that Access shows me up when i try to open any of its tables or queries either in design or data mode is Couldn't read definitions; no read definitions permissions for table or query 'table_name'. Also, when i try to export it to any other Access version i got another error that is very similar, something related with the user permissions.

Thanks for your help.

Best regards,

From the information I have there are a couple of possibilities. Since the description sounds as if you are able to actually open the database in Access and see the objects but not view the objectys you may well have a corrupt DB. The Access repair tool may well resolve your issue.

Or

In Access you can set permissions for the database allowing various user levels with various levels of access to add or manipulate the data or design. When this is done a separate file with an MDW extension is created. This file is the Workgroup file. It seems that you have the MDB file available to you but not the MDW file. What you will need is either to get hte MDW file and a Username and Password for it.

You can read all about Access security from Microsoft.

Tell me, the Access repair tool is the one located under the Database Utilities submenu under the Tools menu or it is a stand alone application??? if it is the second option from where i can download it because i just search it without success.When i first copy this database i dont copy the MDW file that you say, so, if i get this file from my client every thing will work??? Also, i notice that this file can be located in a folder that i choose but, where is the default location for it??BTW, Can i use Visual Basic to access this database??? and thanks for the access security link i'm start reading it, very useful.Best regards,

My apologies for the delayed response. The Compact and Repair utility is under tools the the Access menu. Access keeps sevral system tables in each DB that are hidden by default. One of these tables stores object level permissions. Thre system tables can get a bit wonky sometimes and need repaired. I am operating under the assumption that the DB is likely to have a mdw file as well given that it dies seem to have security enabled. The default location for this file is the same directory as the mdb file. Lastly you can certainly use VB to access an Access DB. You will, however, still need to have the database's username and password.