xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
levimage

Help - Setting Up Email I does not work

I cant seem to setup Thunderbird or Outlook Express. In the Cpanel there is an option do download some registry settings. I guess it works but it does not seem to send mail.Does someone have some screenshots or a tutorial on how to set this up. Or if there are registry options for automatically creating email accounts in Thunderbird.I know i'm doing something wrong. I just don't know what it is.the account i want to be able to access is computer@rcssx.comphoto@rcssx.com

What port are you using to send mail? If you are using port 25, most ISP's block this port (due to obvious reasons) and if you are trying to send mail using that port, it won't work!

What port do you recommend, or is there a method of finding out which port to use. I believe the coffee shop has a DSL connection using a Efficient Networks 5500 DSL modem, and the their Wireless AP is something from Netgear. Is their a way I can find out what the hold up is? Or do I have to use the webmai everytime?Thanks for any responses

I'm not sure on the ports that you can use to access the mail. You can check whether it is the port that is blocked or not by using command prompt (windows) or your terminal (linux) and entering

CONSOLE
telnet rcssx.com 25
This should check if you can connect to the port, if you cannot connect, you cannot get email from this port. If you can connect, it must be something wrong with the way you are configuring your email client.Maybe a mod or admin will be able to confirm the ports available for accessing mail? Edited by Jimmy89 (see edit history)

Hi,Usually for a home connection, ISPs provide you with their SMTP server for use (instead of your own). This is done to prevent spamming and abuse---by forcing you to use their server, they know precisely what emails you send, how many times during a specific interval.I'll leave it up to you to interpret whether that was a good thing or a bad thing.Either way, you may just use your ISPs SMTP server, or have your server administrator also open up another port (I suggest port 26) and redirect it to port 25. You can then use port 26, which is mostly unblocked.Good luck!

I'm going to paste Xisto's post by OpaQue one how to set your Outlook Express with Xisto SMTP and POP server.

http://forums.xisto.com/topic/29059-topic/

Another possible issue is probably related to MTU value set with DSL. DSL's maximum MTU should be set to 1492. But the default on any router is at 1500. This conflicts with DSL's ability to send email using Outlook Express. This is speaking from a personal experience.

If you cannot modify the MTU value, you can edit your registry by entering max MTU value. Search the web and there will be an easy direction as to how to modify and set your max MTU for your operating system.

I must be doing something right! I set up email using Thunderbird Saturday, yesterday, and it worked like a charm! I'll walk through what I did. See if it works for you. First, of course, verify that your domain is accessible (e.g. http://www.mydomain.com/). Then set up an email account and password using cpanel (e.g. mymail@mydomain.com).

In Thunderbird, go to Tools | Account Settings... | Add Account... You now go through several screens. Tell it you want an Email account. Give it your name and email address (mymail@mydomain.com). Xisto makes the next stuff simple. You don't need "pop" or "pop3" or something like that in addition to your domain name. It tells from the port address what you want to do. The "server address" is mydomain.com and the username is mymail+mydomain.com. Thunderbird then wants to know about security. When I first set it up, I checked "never" use secure connection. Thunderbird will choose the appropriate default port. Somewhere along the line, I also told it not to use the "Local folders" for this mail. That involved unchecking a box.

That should be all it takes. I closed out the boxes and closed Thunderbird. When I restarted it, it prompted me for the email password, and I was in! I then went back into Account Settings | Server settings | Security and checked "TLS, if available" and "use secure authentication." The port changed itself to 110. I have had no problems since.

Kudos to Xisto for making it so easy!

I just set up outgoing mail through the server, and it was equally easy. The process is as follows:1. Thunderbird Tools | Account Settings ... | Scroll to the bottom of the left pane and click on Outgoing Server (STMP)2. Click "Add ..." I put "Xisto Server" in the description, and "mydomain.com" in the Server Name field. Again, no "POP3 or "STMP" or "MAIL" subdomain is needed. The bare domain name is enough.3. The only slightly tricky part is User Name "mymail+mydomain.com" and "TLS, if available" for a secure connection.4. Close out the window and go back to the line in the left pane of the Account Settings window that corresponds to the email account you are setting up. When you click on the "mymail+mydomain.com" main link, you will see a window on the right that includes "Outgoing Server (STMP) with a pull-down pick list to the right. Click on the down-arrow to the right, and your new outgoing server name should be there. Just click on it.5. Then compose an outgoing message and send it through this service. It will prompt you for a password. If it accepts it, you're done!I forgot, and put just "mymail" in the User Name field. The result was that I was prompted several times for my password. I went back and provided the correct User Name "mymail+mydomain.com" after which the password was taken on the next try.

I just set up outgoing mail through the server, and it was equally easy. The process is as follows:1. Thunderbird Tools | Account Settings ... | Scroll to the bottom of the left pane and click on Outgoing Server (STMP)
2. Click "Add ..." I put "Xisto Server" in the description, and "mydomain.com" in the Server Name field. Again, no "POP3 or "STMP" or "MAIL" subdomain is needed. The bare domain name is enough.
3. The only slightly tricky part is User Name "mymail+mydomain.com" and "TLS, if available" for a secure connection.
4. Close out the window and go back to the line in the left pane of the Account Settings window that corresponds to the email account you are setting up. When you click on the "mymail+mydomain.com" main link, you will see a window on the right that includes "Outgoing Server (STMP) with a pull-down pick list to the right. Click on the down-arrow to the right, and your new outgoing server name should be there. Just click on it.
5. Then compose an outgoing message and send it through this service. It will prompt you for a password. If it accepts it, you're done!
I forgot, and put just "mymail" in the User Name field. The result was that I was prompted several times for my password. I went back and provided the correct User Name "mymail+mydomain.com" after which the password was taken on the next try.

Q1:
I can do all this for setting up the email account with thunderbird, but I can't send outgoing email. I think the port 25 with the ISP may be the thing. I haven't confirmed by trying another Internet connection. So, in the Cpanel where would I change the port settings for IMAP/POP settings? I may have to try this.

Q2:
Does the above only apply to IMAP connections or to POP? The reason I want to use IMAP is so the messages stay on the email server rather than being downloaded and removed by an email client.

Q3:
Another follow up question is, say in Thunderbird, what if I want my laptop to be able to access multiple email accounts from RCSSX.COM. In the settings I only allows you to specify one username@password for the server setting. Is there a way around this or would I have to use another email client? A real world example would be if say someone was needs to access an account like info@rcssx.com and worker1@rcssx.com.

Q1: I can do all this for setting up the email account with thunderbird, but I can't send outgoing email. I think the port 25 with the ISP may be the thing. I haven't confirmed by trying another Internet connection. So, in the Cpanel where would I change the port settings for IMAP/POP settings? I may have to try this.

I don't think you have to do anything in the CPanel, except set up the email address. Inside CPanel, the (default) configuration data for the account I am using is:
Mail Server Username: mymail+mydomain.comIncoming Mail Server: mail.mydomain.comIncoming Mail Server: (SSL) gamma.xisto.comOutgoing Mail Server: mail.mydomain.com (server requires authentication) port 25Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) gamma.xisto.com (server requires authentication) port 25Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)
Looking at it now, I note that a "mail" subdomain appears in the description, but I don't use it inside Thunderbird. Note also that only port 25 is mentioned. Inside Thunderbird, at Tools | Account Settings... | Server Settings, it says Port 110, but it works! At Tools | Account Settings... | Outgoing Server, it says Port 25.
I have tested both incoming mail and outgoing mail, and they work!

Q2:Does the above only apply to IMAP connections or to POP? The reason I want to use IMAP is so the messages stay on the email server rather than being downloaded and removed by an email client.

I am using POP, not IMAP. I specifically want to download my email to local files, so I can delete them on the server once in a while, and not accumulate there. As I understand it, IMAP also has the "feature" that if you delete an email message in one place, it gets deleted everywhere, so you'd better be sure you're not going to have second thoughts.

Q3: Another follow up question is, say in Thunderbird, what if I want my laptop to be able to access multiple email accounts from RCSSX.COM. In the settings I only allows you to specify one username@password for the server setting. Is there a way around this or would I have to use another email client? A real world example would be if say someone was needs to access an account like info@rcssx.com and worker1@rcssx.com.

Yes, in fact that is how I typically use it. In Tools | Account Settings... | Server Settings, there is a pane called "Server Settings" in the lower middle of the window. I check "Leave messages on server." That way, if I log in from different places (using the same username and password), I get one copy of the email downloaded at each place. When I want to clean up the server, I make sure every computer is current, then go to one, uncheck "Leave messages on server," and tell it to read the mail. I have deleted over 2,000 messages that way in a couple of minutes. The only risk is that some mail comes in while that process is going on. The just-received incoming mail will be only on that one computer. If that's a problem, just mail it to yourself after you are finished.
Hope this helps! ^_^
Edited by docduke (see edit history)