xisto Community
evansmaster

Windows Or Mac?

the eternal question that has been answered millions of times ^_^ It really depends on what your doing in terms of using the computer. Mac has all your video editing, sound editing, picture editing while windows has most of the market and runs the majority of the software on the market - so in other words windows is just good for anything you can't do on a mac! Personally, I can't decide, they both have their upsides, and both have their downsides!

Also, I would say that it depends from the amount of money you have, the Mac is rather more expensive than a PC. And, I'm pretty sure that, for the same amount of money as for buying a mac, you could buy a PC with the professional softwares for doing the same things than on a mac.For instance, my brother uses his Mac only for Microsoft Word, I'm sure he could do this on a PC.

I dunno. MacOS looks great, is rather easy to use, but it does lack the amount of freeware that is available for windows. If only Apple didn't remove the maxxus patch so we pc users could run MacOS too ^_^ (even if it were to try it out before buying one of those ridiculous expensive macbooks)

Mac OS is a good OS for beginners, but to be honest, it's TOO easy and unchallenging. It's not as popular as windows, nor linux I think. Windows is not a great OS, but it allows far more programming and isn't going to jump out with "Would like to know how to go to a program" or sorts. At least, not in XP or previous versions. Vista, I'm not sure about.

Mac OS has a unix core. So it's not entirely 'simple' and for simple minded people.Sure, you can probably train a monkey to use a Mac better than they would be able to use a windows machine, but it all comes down to preference. One of the benefits of owning a Mac is that 'it just works'. Everything is designed to run perfectly, or near perfectly, and in sync with each other. Hardware and software are very compatible, which is hard to accomplish on a PC when so many people manufacture different machines that can run the same OS (Windows). I guess that since Apple makes both the hardware and the operating system, I'll go with a Mac. The software is great for audio and video tasks, and I've been noticing a lot of new games popping up for the Mac. If you go on their website, you can get Guitar Hero 3 from there, along with other pretty cool games that you may have though would have been only for the PC or gaming consoles. That being said, I am using a windows machine right now because it's rather expensive to acquire a Mac. Best, Trinifawk

I dunno. MacOS looks great, is rather easy to use, but it does lack the amount of freeware that is available for windows. If only Apple didn't remove the maxxus patch so we pc users could run MacOS too ^_^ (even if it were to try it out before buying one of those ridiculous expensive macbooks)

Agreeded on the amount of Open Source program available for Windows comparing with Mac. Its rather expensive to maintain Mac as you would need to buy most of the software. But of course you like the slick of iBook, and the cool software, Mac will be the choice. However I would still choose Windows as I'm used to using some Open Source software that doesn't comes with Mac. Just some personal view. Cheers

OS X can run X11 apps just fine. Any open source apps you have can be compiled and run on a mac...I don't see what you're talking about with having to buy alot of software... I switched from Windows/Linux to Mac OS X because I can do all of it without switching operating systems to have a POSIX layer underneath my OS.

mac for sure! it looks nicer and i love the newest mac. its just the screen, keyboard and the mouse without the dome!macs are really nice. ive never actually owned one but ive used them before (ive even used the really old ones when they were crap compared to windows).

mac for sure! it looks nicer and i love the newest mac. its just the screen, keyboard and the mouse without the dome!

You should see the MacBook Pro's. I love mine. Veeeeeery sleek gear ^_^

I have worked on Windows since the dawn of time. I think I started on at least 3.1. Evolving is a fabulous thing, because I would hate to have to still work on 3.1 or even Windows 95. I had to put up with really bad workstations at an old company I worked for. I would have to work on really slow desktops that had either 3.1, or Windows 95... HORRIBLE!I did however use Mac to do a lot of design work at the same company. I started on a G5... but never the less, I did like working on the Mac to do the artsy tech stuff. I was a lot of shortcuts and keystrokes that had to be learned. But once I learned what keys needed to, converting it over to Windows helped a lot. So I would probably run my Freelance work on a Mac, but do a whole lot more on Windows.I use Vista on our laptop, but I have used XP for many years... in which I began to learn the ins and outs of the computer. Windows 98 started to make my life a little easier than 95... but I am so glad the blue screen of death has been left behind many many years and systems ago. Here's to many more versions of Windows, and wondering what will be next in the future...- skedad -

I prefer working on Windows then to work on a mac, and I have used both in my share of time with computers. I just found that windows offers a lot more options than what a Mac can offer me, in terms of software selection that is. Mac just seems to be to confined, even though they allow the windows operating system to be ran on the mac, but for some reason my gut tells me that it doesnt feel right. I design and implement entirely on windows, members here have mentioned the use of keystrokes, and indeed I did started using a lot of keystrokes when I was using a mac but the keystrokes carried over to windows, and I am just as good with quick keys as I was on a mac, I believe I am more profeciant on a windows system now than I ever was before. Knowing tricks of two computers allow me to expand my skill sets and expertise to other computer users.

I've learned how to use a computer when I was like 3 for like basic games on Windows 3.1. I still remember in order to boot Windows, I had to type WINDOWS in what I know is DOS ... lol. I truly learned how to use a computer when I was 7 or 8 at school where we used old PowerMacs with MacOS 8 or 8.5 installed. From then on, I grew to love Macs. Especially when MacOS X arrived, I was even more intrigued. After learning Linux in 2003, I finally understand the beauty of its core design of how the system works as a UNIX system.Ok, less geek talk, do I recommend Macs? Hell yes, with the power of UNIX and the rising numbers of Mac users, it's the best time to switch. Yes, some people say Macs are expensive, but you must weigh in what components you're getting. Even the Macbook is outfitted with a processor similar to a PC in its price bracket, so the price is almost the same. Especially since now you can even install Windows on your Mac, you will seriously never need another PC again. For shortcuts, my general rule of thumb is that most of the Mac shortcut keys are just a bit different. Replace the usual CTRL+ shortcut keys with CMD+. For example for copying text, you hit CTRL+C on a PC keyboard, on a Mac keyboard, it's CMD+C.xboxrulz

They both have there prons and cons but I have always liked windows because thats what my schools used and thats what my first computer was. Macs are good for stuff that I never need so Windows which are cheaper are what I bought. I also find Windows a lot more user friendly but then again this may be just because I grown up using windows. I do think Mac look cooler though.