xisto Community
PerHapsYouSeen

Greenfish Icon Editor Pro A great FREE icon editor

This program is a professional, yet easy to use tool for creating icons, cursors, and other small pixelgraphic images. It has a wide range of features, including: Opening and saving in ICO, CUR, PNG, XPM, BMP and JPEG formats
Creating icons up to 256x256 @ 32-bit
Creating Vista-compatible, PNG compressed icons
Advanced selection handling (marquee, lasso and wand tools, saving/loading selections from files)
Creating and testing cursors
Extracting icons and cursors from executable files
Dynamic color depth: you do not have to specify it explicitly, Greenfish Icon Editor will determine it for you.
Various gradient styles for filling shapes
Lots of filters including Remove matte, Drop shadow, Inner/Outer glow and Bevel
New: Multilanguage support (English, German, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese)
(Translate)
File drag and drop support
Sample icons are included
No installation required, Greenfish Icon Editor Pro is absolutely portable
It is FREE!

0,7 MB (light weight), no installation need (just unzip and run it), clean layout and very easy to use, basic draw tool with some filters (not bad), products icons very well
If you don't really need such a "Icon Workshop", I think you will satisfy with this program.

You can download it here.
Edited by PerHapsYouSeen (see edit history)

i just use paint.net for icons like i do for all my graphics.icon editors are a nice thing to have but all the free ones ive ever downloaded only ever do 32x32 pixel icons and i generally need to make favicons which are 16x16. when i found out that there was a paint.net plugin for icons and cursors i just got that and it works fine!

Thanks for sharing this, for me comes just in time because i need a tool like this in this moment, relating Paint.net well only to say that i can't install it because i still use windows 2000 :rolleyes: but i hear good comments about it, maybe in the near future i could use it.Best regards,

I've never really used an icon editor that I liked. They are usually just neutered versions of more full fledged programs and of the ones I've seen they have usually just been hoping to use trialware to hook you then get you to pay out for the full version, which would rarely be worth it seeing as there are high quality freeware capable of much more.Even if its freeware, just use paint haha

I do it the dodgy way and make my images in adobe fireworks, save them as a png file and then use png2ico (which is a command line application which converts png files to ico files) to make my icons. You can specify all the options on size and quality though the command line and it outputs your icons!

I've never really used an icon editor that I liked. They are usually just neutered versions of more full fledged programs and of the ones I've seen they have usually just been hoping to use trialware to hook you then get you to pay out for the full version, which would rarely be worth it seeing as there are high quality freeware capable of much more.
Even if its freeware, just use paint haha

Here is the author intro (you can trust it or not, but I think it is not long enough to make you believe because I'm also can't find any other information about them):

Greenfish Corporation is a Hungarian software company currently producing only freeware. Our software is real freeware, free of any form of malicious code like viruses, trojans, spyware, adware, etc. The Greenfish products are mainly graphics programs and utilities. These programs can be downloaded from this site and from some other freeware hosting sites listed below.

At this time, it is still a freeware and cool program. Edited by PerHapsYouSeen (see edit history)

Here is the author intro (you can trust it or not, but I think it is not long enough to make you believe because I'm also can't find any other information about them):
At this time, it is still a freeware and cool program.

After some few testings i made, i can say that i agree with you, it is a cool freeware.

Best regards and merry christmas,

New version 1.5 comes with some nice updates:

Opens and saves in ICO, CUR, ANI, PNG, XPM, BMP and JPEG formats

Can create icons and cursors up to 256x256 @ 32-bit, which can also be PNG-compressed for use in Windows Vista

Can create animated cursors

Can handle images up to 1024x1024 (the limit can be increased at your own risk)

Can extract icons and cursors from executable files and icon libraries

Can batch convert image files to icons, or to another image format

Has advanced selection handling (marquee, lasso and wand tools, saving/loading selections from files)

Offers various gradient styles for filling shapes

Lots of filters including Remove matte, Drop shadow, Inner/Outer glow and Bevel

and it's still free

You can download it here

http://greenfish.extra.hu/

or use this direct link

http://greenfish.extra.hu/