xisto Community
andresmtz

Request For Subforum - Solaris request to create a subforum for SOLARIS

hi,could you create a subforum for SOLARIS inside the subforum 'OS' here in the 'How-To's and Tutorials' forum?i thing that many good tutorials and fast guides could be included in this category.thanks

I don't know why they make themself look so different from other Linux/Unix platforms B) . They've send me 2 DVDs (for free :) ) with some distro's on it and one of them is almost a complete Ubuntu copy :rolleyes: . Too bad it works so bad on my main computer (and Vmware/VirtualPC), otherwise I might have tested it a bit more thorough.

Edited by wutske (see edit history)

I don't know why they make themself look so different from other Linux/Unix platforms B) . They've send me 2 DVDs (for free :) ) with some distro's on it and one of them is almost a complete Ubuntu copy :rolleyes: . Too bad it works so bad on my main computer (and Vmware/VirtualPC), otherwise I might have tested it a bit more thorough.

Well, Solaris has some important differences with other Unix. For example the FileSystem. They use ZFile which is file system created by Sun Microsystems an it is a 128bits file system capable for managing a unlimited capacity (2^128 bytes! it's a very huge number!) which could be a single Hard Disk or multiple hard disks or a cluster of computer. Another difference is the Console managment which makes the creation of users, roles and permission a very fast and easy task by using some wizards and a graphical interface. It also could be used to manage computer remotely so you can easily manage an entire network from one single Solaris Server. Also security is enhanced by the use of TCP wrappers. This management tools for Unix Administrators are one of their most important differences. They have the Java Desktop that is based in Gnome. They also are good in managing concurrent virtual machines.

An important internal difference is that it is completely an multi-threating operating system because it not only manages multiple concurrent threads at user level, it also manages multi-threat at system level, which leave us to an N to N relation between user and system threads. Other Unix do not have this. The advantage of having a multi-thread at system level is that the operating system is faster, because it do not have to make too many context changes because most of the system's process are really another thread that use the same process context, is like having a single process to be the operating system so it is easier to manage this "single" process instead of multiple process. This multi-threat performance is even greater if Solaris is used by a multicore processor such as Turion64X2, Intel CoreDuo or even better an UltraSparc with a eight-core processor.

However in almost everything else it looks and works like another Linux/Unix. I have to confess that I also have problems to install it in my laptop Dell Inspiron 1501 because some drivers were unavailable or their installation may cause Kernel Panic, so I installed in my friend's laptop (an HP) and we do not have any problems (unless the Wireless card).

I recommend Solaris as a very good option if your looking for a Unix to be used as a Server to manage a network, services, clusters, etc (administrator's tasks). It is probably the best option in the market for this. And it is used by many big and important companies around the world (i.e eBay, High Performance Computing Virtual Laboratory, Engineering DataXpress, etc).

If you look for a Linux to be used by a single user at home (like a normal person ja) I recommend OpenSuse, I like it more than Ubuntu (:S) and other linux. It is very easy to install and use, and it is focus for common users (not companies as Solaris). It has a very intuitive user interfaces, and it cames with many applications. It is almost as easy as windows, because it has automatic updates, YaSt to manage the system's config. more.

I hope this reply is useful to understand the some differences between Solaris and other Linux.