xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
iGuest

Firefox 2 Won't Work

HiYes, I'm having another problem with Linux...Ok, my linux Distro is Ubuntu 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) and I'm using GNOME.I'm having a problem with Firefox 2. Whenever I try to use it on my own account (Not the root account), it closes as soon as it opens, and before the home page loads. When I use it as the root user, however, it works fine.It started when I had Firefox 2.0.0.6, that came with Ubuntu. It was working fine, until one time when i started it up, the home page (The Ubuntu welcome page, on the hard drive) was taking ages to load, and then it just closed, with no error message or anything. When I tried starting it up again, it just closed before the page loaded.Last night, I installed Firefox 2.0.0.11 and 3.0 (Gran Paradiso). Firefox 2.0.0.11 still wont work, and has the same problems 2.0.0.6 has. However, Gran Paradiso's working fine, but I don't want to use that, because it's only an alpha release, and has plenty of bugs.I'd had a similar problem on windows before, and I fixed that by deleting the firefox process from the task manager, however, I checked the processes in the system monitor in Ubuntu, and there was no Firefox process.Has anyone had this problem, or knows how to fix it?Also, is it just me, or is Firefox on Linux alot slower than on Windows? I think Gecko is also slightly different, because some of the sizes/fonts weren't appearing properly.

Ok, the command I run:/usr/lib/firefox/firefoxThen, firefox opens up, but closes as usual, and this is the result shown in the terminal:(gecko:5314): Pango-WARNING **: failed to create cairo scaled font, expect ugly output. the offending font is 'Verdana 10.798828125'Segmentation fault (core dumped)By the looks of it, this has something to do with me installing Verdana.All I did was copy the Verdana normal, bold, italic and bold italic fonts from Windows, and put them in the font folder on Linux, under a new folder called "verdana". It seemed to be working for everything else, and when I use firefox as root, Verdana fonts appear properly.

Had this problem myself just yesterday, all because I wanter clear, Windows fonts. Obviously, just copying the font won't work, but there is a package that does just what you need.

First of all, delete whatever you copied, as you won't be needing at. Next, run the terminal and enter the following commands:

sudo apt-get install msttcorefontsfc-cache -fv

This will install the most important Windows fonts (Arial, Tahoma etc), with the exception of Verdana. For this, you will need to go to http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/, download tahoma32.exe, and follow the instructions on the same site.

And voila - you can now use Ubuntu without hurting your eyes :rolleyes: