xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
jbitkill

Review About Ubuntu 7.10 NOT 7.04, BUT 7.10

Hi, I am testing Ubuntu for a few weeks. I have tested 7.04 but not 7.10. At this second, I am using Mac OS X 1.0.5 Leopard on the schools network. I installed UBUNTU on my laptop using the LiveCD. Some hardware had minor problems, but didn't disturb the installation. If you want my specs, check out Review About Vista. I installed Ubuntu and used 220MB of RAM out of 1GB. I think some of it is graphics memory. Soon, I will be installing the LAMP installation (Linux, Apache, MySQL and PHP) for my WiFi network. I will get with you soon at 7:00PM (GMT UK)xxxx-jozh-xxxx

Okay, I am on my Ubuntu Laptop. I can't install LAMP since I can't be bothered. Let's get on with the review:After I installed Ubuntu, I installed KDE and XFCE since I'll be reviewing these as well. When I installed, my sound on HDA Intel was really quiet. So I searched the Internet for "HDA Intel is quiet". I found the Ubuntu site and used the fix. It was really simple to fix, just add one line! I installed a few games/Google Earth and the graphics on the games, for free as well! My memory usage is 264.00MB out of 1GB with FIrefox on, Firefox is 37.0MB so without Firefox, 227.00MB. The advantages with Ubuntu that the security is tight, saving someone trying to change my password when they don't know it. A another advantage is its system requirements, I ran Ubuntu 7.04 on a 433MHz with 128MB and not a tiny slow! The disadvanages are the taskbar setup, I changed so its all on the bottom. When I went on Network, it picked my WIndows desktop share of Shared Documents. So far, I am really impressed!Scores:Appearance: 9Performance: 10More soonxxxx-jozh-xxxx

I have Ubuntu 7.10 using GNOME, and I agree with your rating. The only thing is that it needs to come with more programs. SuSE 10.1 Came with heaps, and I don't have an internet connection on my computer with Ubuntu, so I can't easily download them. I also don't like the package manager much, it's hard to install third-party software.Oh, and Ubuntu's pronounced Ooboontoo for those who didn't know. :rolleyes: Ha ha ha. What will they think of next?

yeah ubuntu only comes with gnome so what else are you going to use, lol. they have different names for editions with kde and xfce.oh and ubuntu is an african word which means something along the lines of human peace. they couldnt help how its pronounced.i wouldve tried ubuntu by now but my cd drive carked it just after i downloaded it, lol.

@polarysekt: When KDE 4 is released, I'll install it and review it in this topic.@habble: I agree with you, it needs more programs. On a old PC without the Internet, I used a USB Drive to transfer programs. Also, the Ubuntu pronouncement is correct. You can use Gobuntu as that comes with more software.@Sten: I installed KDE/XFCE using the apt-get (apt-get install KDE) and they do have different versions of Ubuntu with KDE/XFCE. Ubuntu isn't only a African word, but it is an icon of freedom in Africa and the world (open-source/free). An inspiring symbol of tolerance and humanity. The tradition of Ubuntu: it is a universal truth, it is a way of life, it underpins the concept of an open society, PS: The information about the word Ubuntu was shamelessly stolen from the Examples when Ubuntu is installed.@toby: The XFCE edition is called Xubuntu. It is a LiveCD, but cannot be delivered by ShipIt.The review: The system hasn't crashed yet :rolleyes: I have installed Timidity and it works great, just needs a new SoundFont. I have a question, how to you sync a Pocket PC?Any questions, just post.xxxx-jozh-xxxx

I am using Ubuntu 7.10 and it is working great.Ubuntu tries to bundle in as many programs as possible that people use often (browser, office suite, a whole lot of games, etc). You can use Synaptic to install additional components, but I need to learn more terminal stuff, so I use apt-get install more often to practise.I am quite happy with the GNOME desktop interface however I am willing to try new things so I may try KDE but I do not know what advantages there are to the GNOME desktop.I pronounced Ubuntu as you-BUN-tu at first because that is how I assumed it was to be pronounced. Then I saw a CNET TV video saying that Wubi can install Ubuntu without partitioning and the guy pronounced it as OOH-bun-tu so I was like wow I was totally off. :rolleyes:

Only thing i don't like is the debian packages! They're so annoying to install! They ALWAYS need mroe dependencies! Then when you go to install those dependencies, they need dependencies too.I've only ever been able to install one .deb package.

I'm back again. I got my EyeToy (namtai) working using OV51x-jpeg module. Just looking how to view it. OpenOffice 2.3 got a bug, it just crashes on its own? I'm trying to configure VirtualBox as well. I get

The VirtualBox kernel driver is not accessible to the current user. Make sure that the user has write permissions for /dev/vboxdrv by adding them to the vboxusers groups. You will need to logout for the change to take effect..VBox status code: -1909 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_ACCESSIBLE).Result Code: 0x80004005Component: ConsoleInterface: IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45} 

I am going to reinstall it if it helps. System has not crashed yet. Be using Compiz soon.xxxx-jozh-xxxxPS: To M$, make your software cheaper and secure!

Edited by jbitkill (see edit history)

I have reinstalled VIrtualBox and now it came up something in the config file. I deleted the config, it regenerated itself and now I am running XP under Linux. I still need XP for some things like PPTX/DOCX/XLSX documents in Office 2007. I am installing Compiz now so I'll be here in 10minutes.Back in 10, xxxx-jozh-xxxx

about what habble said with the .deb's, i had kubuntu once and because it is based on debian and it uses .deb's, i got rid of it.since my old hard drive is picky, the only distro i could get to work besides kubuntu is centOS. yeah i hate it but its better than kubuntu (well actually probably isnt, but it uses rpm's). still, the only thing ive ever been able to install on any distro is wine. everything else ive tried needs more things and those things need more things. its so annoying.at least with windows u only need to double click something and keep pressing the next button. very few things on windows make u install something else before you can install the program.

Got Compiz running like a fab! Played around a little for the sake of it. It is taking 265MBs out of 1GB of RAM with Firefox running. Does anyone know where you can get Timidity++ compatible soundfonts. With Compiz, it is a opensource alternative to Windows Aero UI. Getting some games installed soon , I already got tons! My stats:RAM w/ FIrefox/Compiz - 265MB out of 1GB RAMHDD - 43.5GB left out of 55.6GBCPU Load averages for last 5 minutes: 0.25Biggest Memory taker - FirefoxWhat is connected - 1GB SD Card/EyeToyCatch all you laterxxxx-jozh-xxxx

why do u have an eyetoy camera pluggen in exactly? when i plug mine into my computer it just says theres an error with the hardware.firefox wouldnt use too much memory would it?im just not an expert with linux so i dont no these things really. i would never replace windows with it because in my opinion its under resourced.

@Sten: If you want Linux under Windows, try Wubi or a Virtual Machine. My EyeToy is plugged in for aMSN. If you type in "eyetoy drivers" without the quotes in google, there is a driver for the big one and the small one. Firefox is taking 118.6MB, all of the programs is 365.7MB. Note: I got 7 tabs in Firefox with Compiz, System Monitor.Review: Installed OpenCity, it is great. Kind of like SimCity but Linux. Any questions, just ask Google.xxxx-jozh-xxxx