xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
PerHapsYouSeen

Gmail 2.0 Do you think it works fast and smoothly ?

if you haven't tried it yet, you can try it now

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=
https://mail.google.com/mail/

I'm not sure you will like it or not, it isn't perfect like the older version

This new version take longer time for the first time loading, but when your browser has cached, it faster
the interface doesn't change much, but if you notice you can see it works more smoothly than the older (not your browser, your CPU usage will always very high while using this new Gmail version)
the most liked thing in this new version in my opinion is I can know who has sent mail to me directly from the inbox just by hovering the mouse on the title

I think its ****! its buggy and is really getting me angry!! soo many times it just straight crashes my Firefox, gmail claim its firebugs fault, so I turn it off and its worse ;() so then i tweak firebug like gmail suggest, wow its even more laggy now l;(

I prefer the "Older Version" much over this one. It randomly crashes any browser that I access it on, whether it is Firefox, Flock, or Opera. I thought that it would work on Internet Explorer, but it crashes that also. I notice it mostly happening when trying to access my labels, but it can happen anywhere from 1 minute to 5 minutes after loading GMail.Whenever I access it, I immediately click on Older Version once I'm in. I also use Windows Live Hotmail.

it seem nobody likes this new version !

@FirefoxRocks

login your gmail acc with this url and you don't have to click Older Version anymore

https://accounts.google.com/ServiceLogin?service=mail&passive=true&rm=false&continue=
https://mail.google.com/mail/

Edited by PerHapsYouSeen (see edit history)

I don't see a difference between the original version and version 2 at all. What the hell was changed?
xboxrulz

Loading... is on the left side instead of the top-right corner, it has slowed down quite a bit.

The Ajax things (I think that's what they are called), are in the top-centre on yellow instead of top right on red. The Mark as... menu is somewhat simplified. Otherwise I don't notice much change because I don't like to use version 2.

I was there the other day and didn't notice any different except the fact that it was slower! Google had this to say from their Blog

So recently the Gmail team has been working on a structural code change that we'll be rolling out to Firefox 2 and IE 7 users over the coming weeks (with other browsers to follow). You won't notice too many differences to start with, but we're using a new model that enables us to iterate faster and share components (we now use the same rich text editor as Groups and Page Creator, and the Contact Manager can be seen in several Google apps). A few other things you will notice are some new keyboard shortcuts and the ability to bookmark specific messages and email searches.Source: http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

Apparently that have been planning changes for a while, and this seems to be it!

There is also these 5 new features that Google has implemented, assumedly with the UI version 2 changes. Personally, I don't like it, it was much better faster - and the new features, i wouldn't use anyway! At least there is the 'old version' feature! :rolleyes:

I guess the changes are under the skin, as I didn't notice anything different. It doesn't crash for me, and takes as long to load as it ever did -- not very long. That could also be due to my slow ISP, so I'm not noticing any lack of speed because it's always slow.

I have noticed that it takes a while between going from folder to folder (spam to inbox etc etc) The loading after login seems to be the same, but generally the entire sit seems just a touch slower!

hovering your mouse on the title and instantly know their mail address, search recent conservations with a click - it's a nice featurenew contacts manager with clean layouttime counter errors fixedshort url on the address barall like a desktop application, but "you can't fly with it", it make your browser slower

See now I wonder if it was an automatic change? I don't really notice what I did at this moment from any other time... Maybe lately I have been wondering with the Loading font looked different, but I didn't think anything of it. I just know that every service on the net will at some point evolve or upgrade in some way. I just don't see the day to day changes with Gmail anymore is all. So yeah, it is nice with the additions, but I may be just prudish and just take Gmail for granted! But I am glad that it is upgrading nicely... because it seems like it is to me.And even if it is not automatic, well I am seeing some of the changes that each of you brings... well, at least the positive ones!

I don't really see anything different, when i push on that link in the first post, it just gets me to gmail and I just browse as a normal user, nothing new, nothing what changed and seems everything work as it used to..? :rolleyes:

I don't really see anything different, when i push on that link in the first post, it just gets me to gmail and I just browse as a normal user, nothing new, nothing what changed and seems everything work as it used to..? :rolleyes:

It more or less works as it's supposed to...it's just slower about it. The whole interface feels less zippy, and I am noticing the speed difference.