xisto Community
avell

Oracle Vs. Mysql Vs. Postgresql POLL Choses you preferred db s/w

Database Poll  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Depends on what your current environment is where you are coming from and where you want to go. They are all robust capable databases but obviously even with support contracts PostgreSQL and MYSQL are a lot cheaper than Oracle to roll out. PostgreSQL is more enterprise capable (read highly robust reliable and scaleable) than MYSQL . Things like Skype runs on PostgreSQL and thats a big system. MySQL is pretty much installed on every webserver out there and ideal for those kind of apps. Perhaps skills are more generally available for mySQL but with PostgreSQL 8 thats changing.One of the issues most important and most ignored is normally what experience do you have in house and where are you starting from. Probably the biggest issue with the adoption of open source solutions in a company is migration of applications, data and skills from Oracle to either of the above open source products. Once you start assigning value to risk ond time and people an experienced Oracle DBA or Oracle salesman can start making open source seem very expensive to a CFO. If you are moving from Oracle there are options like PostgreSQL based EnterpriseDB which offer Oracle compatibility with PostgreSQL reliability and performance and allows lots of money saved and an easy entry into the open source space for an Oracle shop. If you are starting from scratch with nothing invested in skills or technologies today i'd go with PostgreSQL

the only one ive ever used is mysql and im happy with it.im not that brilliant with that kind of stuff so mysql will do and post things like a cms and a forum are for mysql.i made the poll a tie! lol.

i have no idea what the difference is between these guys but i would like to find out, can u help? ^_^

Read the psql answer, a few lines upwards in the present post, you will already have a good idea of the difference. Also my answer gives the basic options.

I use mySQL and always have, therefor it is my preference, also in it's favour is that it's free, is used by nearly all PHP and a lot of ASP(.net) web scripts, is well supported, is easy to use, and is included with nearly all hosts. I also like SQLite, and postgreSQL seems interesting, if it is free I shall have a try of it, it sounds interesting, and there seems to be a positive opinion of it within this thread, best of all it's included with Xisto so I can try it easily.