xisto Community
Ronel

The Memory Technology the future (hopefully)

I've seen enough! :rolleyes:

There are now video watcheds, iphones, RFID Powder(small particles that have RFID Technology), 80 GB Hard Disk to 300 GB, .

This is what I think will happen in the future.

Diskettes of 1 GB!!

CDs of 5+ GB!

Flash Disks up to 50 GB!!

Hard Disks & RAM of 1 to 100 TB!!!!(edited now)

I would really like that especially the RAM, since with that big....you can do 100 programs all at once!!

*TB or Terabyte is 1000 GB.

Edited by Ronel (see edit history)

CDs of 5 GB? Ever heard of DVDs? They've got 4.7GB worth of storage as it is, at it's not as if there's no new "CD-sized" storage technology in development. :rolleyes:On a slightly random note, too, hard disks have broken the Terabyte limit a little while ago, but they're not really in common-usage yet (as far as I'm aware). RAM, however, is something I'd love to see improve, although I do disagree with your comment about running so many programs at once to at least some degree: if technology advances enough to make that much RAM readily available it would only make sense for people to write programs which make use of it to the full. While we're about it, thoughts on there being ridiculous levels of graphics card memory available in the future?Also, before I forget to mention it, the TB equalling 10^3 GB annoys me slightly. Technically, it's correct, but I prefer using gibibyte (1024 GB), simply because it makes for nicer binary-based numbers. B)

Doubled sided blueray would be almost 100gb (I think one side is 47.something). Diskettes are totally pointless if you mean floppy/magnetic. Flash disks already go way higher, I saw 84gb for Vista for less than £200.Ram, the only one I'm intrested in. Amazing, but where would cryptology be by then?

I agree. Diskettes won't come back, it wouldn't make sense to have two primary types of portable storage. I mean, even blueray vs hd-dvd is going to eventually lead to one dieing out completely. Beta max anyone? lol. Media formats rarely live if they directly compete with another as a standard usually forms that leads the pack.CDs of 5 gigs, as mentioned, is no problem. Based on the technology true cds simply CANT get that big but dvd's and hddvd etc already have gigs+ of storage so that is simply a reality not something to predict. Similarly HDs, again as mentioned, broke the terabyte limit. I actually almost bought a terabyte drive a month or so ago and they are simply becoming more and more readily available. I wouldn't be surprised to see even bigger models by Christmas or early next year.I like the RAM increase idea but that leads to other problems tech wise too, unlike storage memory RAM needs to be able to actually access it all at speeds that warrants having it, so putting 100 gigs of ram on a motherboard would be hilariously cool to tell people about, but having memory busses that would take hours to fill it up simply wouldn't make the ram worth having. Obviously they keep increasing all the speeds of ram (access and write and etc) but it'll remain a slower process then the increases in HD speed at least for the time being. With hard drives they can worry about speeding the interface up later and just keep fitting more and more data on them since read/write times, while important to some extent, simply doesn't impact performance like RAM would.Toby, why mention cryptology in relation to big ram? I assume it would help but the processor is the primary bottleneck on cracking complex encryption algorithms, not lack of ram... unless I'm mistaken.

As I know in the future we will be using crystal disks, which can store lots of information and as I read about them, they have been in testing progress since 1995, the only problem with them in the year 2001 was that they are very unstable, I mean information disappears somewhere after a little while or similar stuff, I don't know the current progress of it though, didn't read anything or heard any news that here come crystal disk.. In fact a crystal can store enormous bytes of information, if it ever is going to be a stable place to store it for reading and writing binary data, then I think with time all those flash disks, hard disk will disappear, of course it will cost lots of money, but when more and more people will be using them, it will go cheap, so I don't think in the future we will have a lot of problems with storing something.. I don't know what kind if speed I can get by reading or writing into a crystal disk, but theoretically it should be very fast.. I mean really really fast..

I just did a simple search on google and I think crystal storage is called Holographic Storage, you can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_storage

Just on a slightly random side note, I believe that the previous limitation of 4GB of RAM (pre-64 bit processors) was the lack of possible numbers to expand to:2^32 = 4,294,967,296 possible addresses1,024^3 = 1,073,741,824 (bytes in a GB)4,294,967,296 / 1,073,741,824 = 4 (GB of RAM)So, until the 64-bit processor came along, 4GB of RAM was the maximum available that made each address equally accessible (correct me if I'm wrong on that one). With the introduction of 64-bit processors, though, the maximum becomes 17,179,869,184 GB, or 16,777,216 TB. This boost in hardware capability should see us well in to the future (despite the fact that the 4 GB limit was originally perceived as more than people could ever need).So, with 64-bit processors around relatively recently we should see the RAM available start rocketing, which means that sooner or later it should just become a simple question of how much you're actually willing to spend on your RAM, and how quickly miniaturisation can keep up with the memory available.Also, as I forgot to talk about flash disks and hard drives in my last post, I should probably say something about them now:A hard drive is a slower, less reliable, larger (in terms of physical size), and moving (so it wears out) form of data storage than flash memory. If flash memory was available in the sorts of quantities that could compare with hard drives for a comparable price, I couldn't see any reason for people not to "upgrade" to them. Based on the wonders of learning a little about electronics, the only reason we haven't yet is because of the financial cost of doing so. Flash memory currently costs far more than a hard disk byte for byte, but it's certainly coming down in price. It will certainly be interesting to see how far they've developed in as little as a year's time.

I don't think discs will last very long. They're big, and take up space. Computers are becoming smaller, and even now some can barely fit cd drives in them. Minidiscs might become more widely used, or (Here's an idea), little capsule-shaped things, that can be read-only or read write, that store movies, songs, or any data, and slot into a usb-shaped device, which you can then put into a computer, tv, or anything else with usb input (I expect most tvs will have them soon, and most devices like headphones, speakers and monitors will use them.)

As I know in the future we will be using crystal disks, which can store lots of information and as I read about them, they have been in testing progress since 1995, the only problem with them in the year 2001 was that they are very unstable, I mean information disappears somewhere after a little while or similar stuff, I don't know the current progress of it though, didn't read anything or heard any news that here come crystal disk.. In fact a crystal can store enormous bytes of information, if it ever is going to be a stable place to store it for reading and writing binary data, then I think with time all those flash disks, hard disk will disappear, of course it will cost lots of money, but when more and more people will be using them, it will go cheap, so I don't think in the future we will have a lot of problems with storing something.. I don't know what kind if speed I can get by reading or writing into a crystal disk, but theoretically it should be very fast.. I mean really really fast..

I just did a simple search on Google and I think crystal storage is called Holographic Storage, you can read about it here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_storage

I remember hearing about these, and I think if they ever see the light of day they may also solve Habble's wishes too. I can remember hearing about what was called optical storage, and crystals seem to fit the bill for that sort of thing. I have no references for this (and the wiki page didn't seem to have anything) that they were talking in amounts like terabytes for a device not more than 1 cubic centimeter!!! Imagine having a hew of those little beauties packed into your PC :)

Some other technologies that I wish would turn up in my life time.

Quantum Computers (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_computer) - this would make a 64 bit machine look like an abacus.

Molecular Circuitry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Molecular_switch) - Bring on the RAM if they ever build this stuff :)

Cheers,

Hoopa

Ah, quantum computing. For those who aren't quite sure just how revolutionary it will be, this paragraph from wikipedia should make a pretty impressive point.

Recording the state of a quantum register requires an exponential number of complex numbers (the 3-qubit register above requires 23 = 8 complex numbers). The number of classical bits required even to estimate the complex numbers of some quantum state grows exponentially with the number of qubits. For a 300-qubit quantum register, somewhere on the order of 10^90 classical registers are required, more than there are atoms in the observable universe.

Point made, aye? If and when quantum computers kick off then "regular" computers will disappear soon afterwards, I reckon. Sure, it'll be experimental for a while, and only affordable by overly rich individuals/businesses, but once they hit the home-user market the results will change the world. Let's hope we've got the processor barrier crossed by then, blasted physics stopping them working fast enough ... :)