xisto Community
Flawless

Mysql Question...

I was wondering if you could use mysql databases to combine with a totally different host.Example...I do not want to move my files from my 1and1 hosting.But I am out of databases i need 2 more.Would I be able to use these ones if i decide to sign up for hosting with my 1and1 hosting? like the file is on my 1and1 hosting, just upload myphp or w/e and tables etc to the other mysql...?

Why don't you just use the same database over!If you add a different prefix for your tables, then you can get away with only one database for several scripts or even several installations of the same script.For example this forum system, Invision Power Board, uses "ibf_" as a prefix for all of the tables it uses. So, in the same database, I could use the same set of tables for a second installation except use a different prefix like "ibf2_".It is very difficult to get one host to connect to an MySQL server on a different host. Most host block such a connect to prevent security problems.vujsa

Why don't you just use the same database over!
If you add a different prefix for your tables, then you can get away with only one database for several scripts or even several installations of the same script.

For example this forum system, Invision Power Board, uses "ibf_" as a prefix for all of the tables it uses. So, in the same database, I could use the same set of tables for a second installation except use a different prefix like "ibf2_".

It is very difficult to get one host to connect to an MySQL server on a different host. Most host block such a connect to prevent security problems.

vujsa

Thank you so much for your help, I am a PHP/MySQL Newbie so I had no idea, thanks :rolleyes:

Yes you could do that but what vujsa says is correct and it is the best way to avoid a lot of problems.

Check the following topics for more information about:

Can I Remotely Access Xisto MySQL DBs?

Free Mysql Server Sites

Best regards,

I don't think it is possible to do so. As I know, connecting with MySQL shouldn't cross domains.

Yes, it is possible to do, but it is not recommended.
Best regards and merry christmas,

I don't think it is possible to do so. As I know, connecting with MySQL shouldn't cross domains.

It is possible.
It all depends on your host, if they permit you to use their mySQL databases on a different website hosted outside of them, feel free to. Otherwise, do as vujsa says and use different table prefixes.