xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
FirefoxRocks

New Computer What do you recommend?

Well people that are 50 years old learn slower, and they haven't explored Windows so much. Macs are easier than Windows from what I have read, too easy for me.xboxrulz, I'm only 2 years younger than you, and I first started using Windows when I was 6 years old. And yes, Linux is a bit hard to learn, not as user-friendly as Windows.

Well people that are 50 years old learn slower, and they haven't explored Windows so much. Macs are easier than Windows from what I have read, too easy for me.
xboxrulz, I'm only 2 years younger than you, and I first started using Windows when I was 6 years old. And yes, Linux is a bit hard to learn, not as user-friendly as Windows.

True, older people take longer time to learn, that's universally agreed upon. As for Macs, I can make it harder by using crazy devices and also by digging into the system (UNIX layer) and it's just as hard as UNIX and just as messy.

Also, why are we arguing again, I don't remember ... lol

xboxrulz

Well I am not sure how knowledgable your are in computers but with a list like, "Windows Vista Home Premium, 2GB RAM, At least 320 GB hard drive, 22" wide-screen monitor", why don't you just build a computer. Or if that seems too intimidating try going to an online site like http://www.newegg.com/. There you wont have to limit your options to just Dell. But if you are really concerned about price and specific hardware components from a certain vendors, try another site i like using called http://www.pricewatch.com/. At pricewatch all kinds of online vendors submitt their prices and compete against each other -- which is good for you. Another place to try out is http://www.ebay.com/, you could search for something that meets your requirement there.Here are some other important tips here when it comes to online shopping:1) the web site's prices are meerily just offers, that doesn't mean they can't go lower.2) don't forget about shipping, this is how some sites get you back in their low prices.3) some sites offer discounts for multi items purchased or other incentives.4) also when you think you've found the lowest price + shipping for an item, it doesn't hurt to contact the other sites to see if they can match or beat it.5) coupons and rebates on out there at manufactures web sites6) and prices drop during November/December due to the Holiday season.My recommendations if you follow the above advice will get you more computer for your buck such as:Intel® Quad Core™ processor,+256MB video card with crossfire or sli,+300 GB hard drives sata,Windows Vista Pro Ultimate,+4 GB RAM,+22 wide screen monitorIf you are unclear on your other needs - wifi cards, modems, nic, etc. don't purchase them now - they are just optional equipment which can be acquired later. Anyway, have fun shopping this Holiday season and good luck with your new pc.Levimage

Well I am not sure how knowledgable your are in computers but with a list like, "Windows Vista Home Premium, 2GB RAM, At least 320 GB hard drive, 22" wide-screen monitor", why don't you just build a computer. Or if that seems too intimidating try going to an online site like http://www.newegg.com/. There you wont have to limit your options to just Dell. But if you are really concerned about price and specific hardware components from a certain vendors, try another site i like using called http://www.pricewatch.com/. At pricewatch all kinds of online vendors submitt their prices and compete against each other -- which is good for you. Another place to try out is http://www.ebay.com/, you could search for something that meets your requirement there.

Here are some other important tips here when it comes to online shopping:

1) the web site's prices are meerily just offers, that doesn't mean they can't go lower.

2) don't forget about shipping, this is how some sites get you back in their low prices.

3) some sites offer discounts for multi items purchased or other incentives.

4) also when you think you've found the lowest price + shipping for an item, it doesn't hurt to contact the other sites to see if they can match or beat it.

5) coupons and rebates on out there at manufactures web sites

6) and prices drop during November/December due to the Holiday season.

My recommendations if you follow the above advice will get you more computer for your buck such as:

Intel® Quad Core⢠processor,

+256MB video card with crossfire or sli,

+300 GB hard drives sata,

Windows Vista Pro Ultimate,

+4 GB RAM,

+22 wide screen monitor

If you are unclear on your other needs - wifi cards, modems, nic, etc. don't purchase them now - they are just optional equipment which can be acquired later. Anyway, have fun shopping this Holiday season and good luck with your new pc.

Levimage

Thing is, he's not making a gaming rig, so it's quite useless to have a Quad Core. Even Quad Core, I rather suggest the AMD Phenom X4.

As for custom building, I agree too, it's much better than sticking to brand names.

xboxrulz

Why I'm not going to build my computer:

1. Too expensive. Buying a whole bunch of different parts cost quite a bit.
2. Too complicated. Even though I took CNet's 6-lesson online course in Build Your Dream PC, I find that it is much too complicated and I will probably experience a lot of trouble. Although I would learn a lot from building my own PC, it's not worth the hassle.
3. Too time-consuming. Waiting for parts to be delivered, putting the system together, making it work. I could have Dell build my system and have it here at my house in 5 business days.
4. eBay won't help. I'm under 18, and my parents don't seem to like eBay.
5. Parts that you recommended are much too hardcore:
I mean Quad-core processor, I've only seen one HP system use that. I'm not going for Vista Ultimate. I won't do video-editing on the PC, the occasional photo-editing, no gaming, mostly development stuff and my family uses it for general-purpose stuff like Internet browsing, email, word processing, viewing powerpoints, watching DVDs etc.
6. NO TECHNICAL SUPPORT!!! The most important thing that I added on the Dell PC that I have my eye on is 3-year Tech Support/In-home service. This takes priority over anything else.

So I do want to purchase one from a manufacturer, but my dad wants prices to drop a little more before hitting the Checkout button.

2. Too complicated. Even though I took CNet's 6-lesson online course in Build Your Dream PC, I find that it is much too complicated and I will probably experience a lot of trouble. Although I would learn a lot from building my own PC, it's not worth the hassle.

3. Too time-consuming. Waiting for parts to be delivered, putting the system together, making it work. I could have Dell build my system and have it here at my house in 5 business days.

I mean Quad-core processor, I've only seen one HP system use that. I'm not going for Vista Ultimate. I won't do video-editing on the PC, the occasional photo-editing, no gaming, mostly development stuff and my family uses it for general-purpose stuff like Internet browsing, email, word processing, viewing powerpoints, watching DVDs etc.

6. NO TECHNICAL SUPPORT!!! The most important thing that I added on the Dell PC that I have my eye on is 3-year Tech Support/In-home service. This takes priority over anything else.

So I do want to purchase one from a manufacturer, but my dad wants prices to drop a little more before hitting the Checkout button.

Alright, I'm looking it this way, you're not really a tech-savvy guy, so I guess the Dell is great for you. However, the previous poster is right, if you know what you're doing, knowing what parts to get, you can build a very cheap machine.

I know I can assemble a really cheap gaming machine for around $600, tax incl. (PSU + Case + DVD drives). To overhaul my computer, $400 w/ tax incl. As for technical support, YOU ARE the technical support, which can be fun, but to others very annoying. Like I said, the Dell may be good for you, but for a savvy person, you want the custom built machine since it's cheaper.

xboxrulz

Over here 97.35% people go for assembled PCs. Over the last few years, branded PCs have certainly got cheaper. But custom built systems still cost a bit less. Sure, if you go for the latest models of the peripherals, it'll be costly. However, you can get a system with the same configuration (as that of the branded ones), for a much lesser amount. Then again, maybe thing's are a bit different over there.Its not that complicated either. I am currently using my third custom built machine and I cannot say I have faced any real trouble in trying to get those parts together. All you got to look out for are the compatibility issues. I have learned a lot about the hardwares, but it came at a price (wrecking two of my machines). The first one had its processor burnt out, thanks to fan-less test run. That's when I decided to upgrade the old system and get some new parts. In the second one, the processor socket lever on the motherboard got broken, courtesy of some not so gentle cleaning. Through all of these hard times, the dealer I got the hardwares from, stood by me and lent his support. He even forced me to mail Intel support to see, if I could get a free replacement for the product (Motherboard). All though the plan didn't workout, I must say that his tech support was in no way, bad.Again, thing's may not be the same over there. But, we do have a helpful and enthusiastic community of computer buyers and sellers, and getting an assembled PC is the best way for us. Only institutions such as Banks purchase a full scale of branded PCs.

1. I'm not trying to change your preference of brand vs. custom pc's if SUPPORT is your main priority. Believe me, I know a lot of people whom I worked on computers for and that was the main thing they were looking for in their purchase.

2. There are somethings you should know like taking care of components - most static electricity is the main concern I've found with non knowledgale people who attempted to work on their PC and found they've ruined it.

3. The turn around time of delivery in your case should your parents order will be 3 days and assembly will be about less than an hour. Everything you order has simple instructions and if calling tech support is your option - as a customer most of the online retailers/manufacures will be happy to offer technical assistance over the phone to help with installation.

4. You don't have to limit yourself to eBay, though they do offer competitive pricing and are a good source for current price references.

5. You could start with just gettting the parts you need. But if you think about it, what might seem hard core now will be the minimum requirements in the future. My suggestions were parts that will give you more satisfaction over time, but the Windows Vista is not really needed. I personally run Windows XP Professional. I use chose professional over Home edition cause it gives me better encryption/security for multiple profiles (e.g. Office work, Games, Photography, Girlfriend, and Guests).

* Dell*

Of all the computer clients I have 90% of them use Dell. I mostly done the work cause they either didn't purchase the support or it was expired. Dell is a favored brand in my community cause the all the major employers, schools, and libraries use it - so people buy it for their homes. I go to their web sites and look the the Service Tag when i fix other people's PC's, look up their computers upgrade limitations, or if i need to contact tech support for part replacements. Oh yeah, I also have a Dell laptop which is great :rolleyes:

when u buy extra support or warranty or anything like that, youll find that wotever happens, you wont be covered for. those things are generally a waste of money.like when we bought a new car, we bought 2 years extra warranty, turns out it doesnt cover anything that will actually happen, just like far out stuff that is unlikely to happen.when we bought this computer, we bought extra support, all the problems that we had werent covered.i wouldnt let it take priority over everything else.

when u buy extra support or warranty or anything like that, youll find that wotever happens, you wont be covered for. those things are generally a waste of money.
like when we bought a new car, we bought 2 years extra warranty, turns out it doesnt cover anything that will actually happen, just like far out stuff that is unlikely to happen.

when we bought this computer, we bought extra support, all the problems that we had werent covered.

i wouldnt let it take priority over everything else.

Well car problems are more variable than computer problems in terms of hardware (parts). I'm no expert but that's my opinion. I let warranty take priority over EVERYTHING else. All the problems that we had were completely fixable, some requiring a mere system restore, some taking a reinstallation of Windows XP. Either way, tech support is fun.

What's fun about calling tech support? Pressing the buttons, entering your Express Service Code, waiting more than 1 hour (usually I have the time), listening to the music while I'm waiting, explaining the problem, learning how to fix the problem, fixing the problem, doing the customer satisfaction survey that arrives in my email within 3 hours. :rolleyes::PB)

I was prepared to hit the Checkout button today, but I guess we will wait until about 1 week before Christmas to see if machine prices will drop further, the rebate will likely be dropped in January, so I am highly advising my dad to purchase the system before January. :)

Well car problems are more variable than computer problems in terms of hardware (parts). I'm no expert but that's my opinion. I let warranty take priority over EVERYTHING else. All the problems that we had were completely fixable, some requiring a mere system restore, some taking a reinstallation of Windows XP. Either way, tech support is fun.
What's fun about calling tech support? Pressing the buttons, entering your Express Service Code, waiting more than 1 hour (usually I have the time), listening to the music while I'm waiting, explaining the problem, learning how to fix the problem, fixing the problem, doing the customer satisfaction survey that arrives in my email within 3 hours. :rolleyes::PB)

I was prepared to hit the Checkout button today, but I guess we will wait until about 1 week before Christmas to see if machine prices will drop further, the rebate will likely be dropped in January, so I am highly advising my dad to purchase the system before January. :)

That's weird, my parent's SUV is basically covered for all regular maintenance, except tire changes. Anyways, as for computers, unless you did it on purpose and it's not a possible factory defect, it will not be covered. Else, you should be covered.

xboxrulz

Building your own computer is actually quite easy, there's barely anything to it. You just need to know basics, what is what, and it's a breeze putting stuff together. Unless you have absolutely zero knowledge or interest in it, and then a preassembled computer is maybe better. But I will never buy a branded computer.... a waste of money.

Building your own computer is actually quite easy, there's barely anything to it. You just need to know basics, what is what, and it's a breeze putting stuff together. Unless you have absolutely zero knowledge or interest in it, and then a preassembled computer is maybe better. But I will never buy a branded computer.... a waste of money.

I agree with that, I was lazy when my parents wanted to buy my bro a new computer so he would stop whining about his games lag. However, little did I know when I was supervising the purchase, that the HP bought for him had little expandability built in since it doesn't really conform to the micro ATX standard. So I should have built the machine instead of getting that cheesy HP.

xboxrulz

The memory card reader is useless. There is something called a usb^^
Get a quad core
2 gig ram+
128 megabytededicated memory+
400 gigabyte hard drive +
Windows Vista ultimate or xp sp2

You do realize that the memory card reader is a USB memory card reader that is just built in and not portable. It's the same deal.

xboxrulz