xisto Community
ProtoMan

Session Save Path Not Set, Unwritable

Today while I was trying to install Mambo, I had problem with the Session Save Path setting. Everything else was green except that. It always said "Not Set, Unwritable".

After that, I tried searching at Google and found something about cinfiguring php.ini file in order to make it work. I haven't even heard of php.ini before so I don't know how to fix it.

Thank you very much in advance.

PS : Here is the link where I found the php.ini thing

forum.joomla.org/index.php?topic=962.0

They were talking about Joomla but Mambo is much similar.

Edited by ProtoMan.EXE (see edit history)

by the sounds of it, you do not have permission to save to the 'Session Save Path'. The php.ini file will have where that path is located, then it is a case of chmoding the directory so you can save to it!

are you sure you just havent CHMODed the the file whatever one it is?make sure everything is set to the right permission.i dont think we have permission to edit the php.ini file as far as i no, but theres always the .htaccess file.

are you sure you just havent CHMODed the the file whatever one it is?
make sure everything is set to the right permission.

i dont think we have permission to edit the php.ini file as far as i no, but theres always the .htaccess file.

CHMOD the file ? Which one are you talking about ?
Can you show me how to use/edit the .htaccess in this case ?
Actually I have never even heard about the file php.ini before :rolleyes: so I don't know how to deal with it.
Thank you very much for your help.

Why are you using Mambo?

Most Add On developers are no longer creating scripts for Mambo since they have moved on to Joomla.

Joomla is more or less the continuation of the Mambo project.

Did you set all of the folders that you were told to to 777 during setup?

In order for Mambo to write or create a file, the folder it is using must have public write permissions (777).

In file manager, click on the "NAME" of the folder then in the top write corner, there will be an option to change permissions. Either set to 777 or check ALL of the boxes.

You shouldn't need to create or edit the .htaccess or php.ini to get your system to work!

I'm assuming that you are getting this message in the Mambo configuration screen!

Like I said, I think that you will be a lot happier with Joomla. I also think that you should consider using FireBoard instead of SMF since FireBoard is a Joomla Component while SMF has to be bridged and the bridge has a few issues.

Good Luck,

vujsa

Why are you using Mambo?

Most Add On developers are no longer creating scripts for Mambo since they have moved on to Joomla.

Joomla is more or less the continuation of the Mambo project.

Did you set all of the folders that you were told to to 777 during setup?

In order for Mambo to write or create a file, the folder it is using must have public write permissions (777).

In file manager, click on the "NAME" of the folder then in the top write corner, there will be an option to change permissions. Either set to 777 or check ALL of the boxes.

You shouldn't need to create or edit the .htaccess or php.ini to get your system to work!

I'm assuming that you are getting this message in the Mambo configuration screen!

Like I said, I think that you will be a lot happier with Joomla. I also think that you should consider using FireBoard instead of SMF since FireBoard is a Joomla Component while SMF has to be bridged and the bridge has a few issues.

Good Luck,

vujsa

1.I am using Mambo because it can be bridged with SMf (The bridge with Joomla has been discontinued)

2.Yes, I am sure I have got everything 777 like it said

3.Thank you for letting me know :rolleyes:

Yes, I am getting this error at the configuration screen (Actually, it is the pre-setup or check-requirements screen.

I did read your suggestion and really appreciate it, but the reason why I am still using SMF because of its feature in version 2.0 , it is unbeatable B) and it has way too many cool add-ons that I really need.

Thank you for your help.

Any suggestion on how to fix this ?

Ah yes, I think that I knew that that particular bridge was abandoned. This is because a different bridge gained in popularity.
http://forums.xisto.com/no_longer_exists/

That bridge is much better and there is a large amount of support for it. This one is a lot easier to install as well.

As for your initial problem, I have no idea why you are experiencing any trouble with your installation.
Will Mambo not allow you to finish your installation as a result?

I suppose that there could be a problem with Mambo not being able to find the path but it seems unlikely. You might consider uninstalling Mambo and starting over.

vujsa

It still allowed me to finish the installation anyway.But in the admin panel there is something wrong with the installer (I can't remember really much since I removed Mambo from my account).Also, I have just looked at the bridge you mentioned and that was Joomla Hacks' component. The lastest version 2.0.2 was released a long time ago (Around February) so will it still work with the current SMF 1.1.4 and current Joomla as well ?Another question, do you know about a site which has good comparison between Mambo and Joomla ? Are they identical ? I can't seem to find that information anywhere.Thank you very much for your help, vujsa :rolleyes:

There was a dispute among the developers of Mambo some time ago. I don't recall what the dispute was about but quite a few of the developers left the Mambo project and started the Joomla project. Basically, since Mambo was open source, they simply took the latest version of Mambo, updated it, and renamed it Joomla.So the first release of Joomla was was very similar to the Mambo release around the same time. Many of the extensions for Mambo continue to work with Joomla prior to Joomla 1.5. Best of all, I have yet to find a Mambo template that was compatible with Joomla. I imagine that Joomla has about as many extensions made for it as Mambo has but they are a lot easier to find. In fact, the entire Joomla website is easier to navigate. I remember I used to search for extensions for Mambo and it would take days to find what I wanted since the repository was so poorly organized. Then there were dozens of websites that had other extensions listed that weren't in the Mambo repository.As far as I know, the current JoomlaHacks SMF-Joomla bridge will work for the current version of SMF. I have actually tested this bridge and found that it is much better than the official bridge. But I decided a long time ago, that I would not use a bridged forum with Joomla. There is always some little issue or limitation that pops up when you use bridges. For example, since the 2 programs have their own user system, keeping things in sync can be an issue. What I really disliked most was when a user logged out of one, he may not get logged out of the other or even more irritating, when a user logged into Joomla, he wasn't logged onto SMF as well. If the bridge can't handle cross system log in/out, then what is the point of bridging them.I ended up using JoomlaBoard as an integrated forum component with Community Builder for added user features. Later I upgraded to FireBoard (Next generation of JoomlaBoard) and have found that while the forum component is not as powerful as SMF of phpBB, it does handle the job well and additions to Joomla can provide the webmaster and user with nearly all of the features you would get from SMF. As for forum systems, I must say that SMF is by far the best free one available. But trying to integrate SMF with Joomla or Mambo for that matter will ever give you kind of seamless transition from system to the other that you really should strive for when developing a website.I suggest installing Joomla with FireBoard and Community Builder to see how it works. I think by this time next year, the FireBoard component will be a very strong forum system but currently it is still a very young project.I don't know of any sites that discuss a comparison between Joomla and Mambo.vujsa