xisto Community
turbopowerdmaxsteel

How To Spend A Fortune?

I have hit a $1000 lottery and am looking for ways to effectively spend it. Actually, its in line as the down payment for a highly customized software for my first client. What better place to get advice than here, amidst the experts?

I intend to upgrade my current machine which has the following specs:-

Intel Pentium 4, 3.0 GHz HT Processor

Intel D915GAG Mainboard

Two 512 MB DDR RAM chips

80 GB Sata HDD

DVD-RAM Drive

CD-RW Drive

One of the things I need the most is a means to back tons of data up. Even the DVDs are becoming a handful to manage. Switching to something that allows more storage per disc would be ideal. I don't quite know the capacity and availability of Blu Ray discs. Tape Drives, Hard Disks with 1TB storage space or anything which allows huge stuffs to be backed up would be ideal.

Another thing on my mind, is to finally set the onboard GPU free and get a solid graphics card. Apart from these, I would also like to upgrade the core peripherals to Core to Duo and DDR2s. Better still if Tetra Cores and DDR3s can be afforded along with the above stuffs inside the $1000 margin.

If some cash still remains, I would love to buy some other handy gadgets. I am not much into depositing sums, especially not my first earnings and I know premature celebrations are not the best of things to do. But, that is what makes us human; after all, dreaming ain't that bad.

I would go for:AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Black Edition Dual-Core Socket AM2, 2.6GHz, 512KB x2 L2 Cache, 2000MHz HT, 65nm, WOFAsus M2A-MVP Socket AM2 AMD 480X CrossFire Chipset + ATI SB600 Dual Channel DDR2 800/667/533 1394a FirewireSapphire ATI RADEON HD 2900 Pro 1GB GDDR4 Dual Dual-Link DVI HD Audio Shader Model 4.0 320 Unified Shaders PCI-Express Graphics Card2 GB DDR2SDRAMDVD-RAM/RWI'm not a fan of Intel processors (even though all my systems are Intel. My brother has the AMD and it's a lot better than what I have, even my Macbook's processor, which is an Intel Core 2 Duo, it heats up so badly!)xboxrulz

I would recommend 5200+, since it's the lowest that comes with 1MB cache. 5000+ and below has only 512k cache.(I'm not that sure what's the Black Edition has)DDR3 is still not recommended, since the first generation DDR3 is just as fast as the fastest DDR2. The Higher clock rating on DDR3 is just misleading. Hard Disk, go for RAID, with at least 2 HDD, 250GB and above. You can calculate the $/GB ratio, and get the most cost effective one for now.

its only a thousand dollars though, so u cant do much with it.i my self would use it towards a new computer. i really want a good and expensive computer, lol.y would u spend a thousand dollars on caffeine and biscuits? lol

Well it looks like he is from India, so we have no idea which particular currency he speaks of (perhaps USD) and which country he intends to buy from (I assume his own), where we don't know of the conversion rate.If your board supports Dual Channel RAM, I would go for that, in either 2x512mb matching dual channel modules or 2x1024mb matching duel channel modules.Definitely go for a larger Hard Disk (just whack it in for storage I suppose).As for the main board and processor I am unsure, they don't sound too bad to me. Firstly I would go check out the manufacturer website of the main board and check out it's support CPU list.

Do you have any general price comparisons in the USD range (as in what might a cpu or graphics card cost in USD where you intend on purchasing).Just like your average Intel/AMD etc, would give us all a really good idea how far it can stretch.

So you could probably buy around 8 of those with your cash.

Wow that's not bad at all.....

The cheapest Core 2 Duo's in the AUD range is from $157 to around a grand, so i'd say about what $250 average (Don't think you'd be talking about the top of the line).

Well I would say you certainly do have enough to get yourself some decent equipment, india was it?

Just going to look at what kind of pricing an online indian store has (one in Bharat or however it is spelt here: http://www.itonlinestore.com/rg-erdr.php?_rpo=t).

Ok so 39,314.99 INR, let's take a look at their products:

Wow Core 2 Duo CPU's are like minimum 7500 INR here lol, the Pentium 4's are about 3k-4.5k INR.

Allright mobo for about 2300 INR or so.

7300GS 256mb nVidia card for about 4k INR (that's AGP though).

So yeah (well I am unsure if these are INR, it doesn't state that but it looks that way, pity they didn't have a larger product range), but if you buy smartly, and look things out and compare, make a few lists of compatible parts setups and see where you are at.

Ummm in regards to the hardware you originally listed, I think you can get that stuff from the list easily within that budget if I am right about the above mentioned site being in INR currency, EASILY!

If your not heavily after the latest Core 2 Duo and things like that, it looks like you have quite a bit of spending room my friend.

Would suggest you to study all the specs before buying. New AMD 4000 series is an upper-hand over ryzen 3000 and intel because of better base clock  speed which is very much necessary for work like gaming and content creation. Sharing a configuration

AMD Ryzen 5 4650G, Asus A520M Plus TUF Gaming, Colorful GTX1660 Super 6GB DDR6 Nvidia ,8GB DDR4 3000MHZ XPG D30 ADATA, XPG 256GB M.2 Nvme SSD, Antec NX230, Antec B550 550W is the configuration I think would be best fortune. 4000 series is supported with 500 series motherboard which is the best part of it as the efficiency of the cpu increases with low power consumption for the overall system. Graphic 1660 Super will be able to support all the games like fortinite, watch dog legions, call of duty and more. It would be perfect configuration for video rendering and content creation compatibility and would help overcome bottlenecks. Can review configuration on https://www.cruxretail.com/product/oculus-4650g-1