xisto Community
ss2man44

Malfunctioning Samsung Cd/rw Drive Only burns to .01 4X CDs

I have a Samsung RW CD burner in my desktop. The model number is too hard to get right now, but I'll get it later.Anyways... The problem is that it will only burn to one type of CD... a cheapo, slow, 4X CD.I've tried official Samsung CDs, many different burning programs, and I've even tried updating the firmware.Any help?

it will only burn to one type of CD... a cheapo, slow, 4X CD.

When you said that, do you mean other type of CD won't burn, as in the burning program won't let you burn? Or it doesn't recognize the CD at all? Or some error occur along the way?

I'm also getting the impression that it only burn slower CDs?

You don't really need to get the model, just let us know what's the burning speed. It should be shown at the front panel. Normally I would recommend burning at most at half of the maximum speed of your burner. As it gets older, chances are the quality will deteriorate with time. So staying in the middle give some safe margin of quality assurance.

Yea, I have a new one, but it would be better if I had that one working. And I know it isn't speed related because it's only 1 brand that it burns to.Thanks for the help, but I think xboxrulz might be right.

Good thing we live in the 21st century where cd and dvd burners are relatively inexpensive. When my cd burner started to croak, I decided to get an external dvdrw drive that I could use on both desktop and laptop, and also carry over to friends without dvd burner's places.you seem to have it covered though.