xisto Community
vizskywalker

Is It Possible To Block Indexing On Certain Keywords

I have a friend who has helped me out a lot with some of the content on my site, so I have acknowledgments to this friend wherever I had help. However, because the name of this friend is pretty common on the page, search engines tend to index the page for searches of this friend's name. However, my friend doesn't like having a lot of results turn up for the name, so right now I have the page set to disallow in the robots.txt. I'd like to both respect my friend's wishes and have the site indexed, so I was wondering if there is some way to tell search engines they are allowed to index the page, but not according to certain keywords.Thanks,~Viz

No, a page is searched or it isn't. Do user-only stuff to show his name maybe, like flash or javascript. There maybe an option in site submitter in Google, but I've never needed that.

No, a page is searched or it isn't. Do user-only stuff to show his name maybe, like flash or javascript. There maybe an option in site submitter in Google, but I've never needed that.

I agree. The search engine will either index your page or won't index it at all. there is nothing like half of the page is indexed and half is not indexed.However, if you want your page to be ranked higher for certain keywords, more than the content of the page itself, it depends on the anchor text of the links pointing to the page. So get backlinks with anchor texts of your choice (not your friend's name) and then you will see that the page won't rank higher for your friend name but for the terms in the anchor text of links.
I think it is the only way to achieve what you want (according to my understanding), Otherwise you will have to edit the content of the page and increase the density of the keywords for which you want to rank higher and decrease the use of your friend's name.