xisto Community
Chesso

Building A Resume (photoshop Style)?

Hello,I couldn't find too well an appropriate topic, and although my query exceeds "design", the main purpose is to ask about that I suppose.Anyway, right now I have this boring old Microsoft Office Word resume (using their craptastic resume wizard thingo).It is fine I suppose, but it is so plain and boring and I actually find it difficult to personally read (I really don't know why employer's would prefer it over something more done up as long as it is easy to read the necessary information).It doesn't look like I can do too much with Microsoft Office Word, and I have Photoshop lying around here and thought maybe I can make something nice with it, but I am unsure of where to start.I have created a new document that is 210X297mm which I think is A4 size more or less (for printing and display).What I want to know is, does anyone have any tips for graphical and textual layout, should I stick to plain black text or will it hurt to add some colour or difference to highlighted words like headings and such.This is of course all assuming I will not be handing in resumes to large companies that use those machines to scan and read resumes automatically.If anyone happens to have any examples of this, it would be greatly appreciated (I can't find anything Google wise, practically nothing but I might just not have the right keywords).Oh and I will also retain an up to date plain document version of the resume, just in case a fancier designed one doesn't bode so well.

i dont no if photoshop for a resume would be a good idea or not, you could try if you like.

you could always use the craptastic publisher. or if u dont have that then theres a program called Serif Page Plus. serif software costs but theres a site, http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/ which lets you download older versions of their programs for free.

a simple graphical layout would be nice but i would go to fancy (3D, glassy, stuff like that)

Oh no, nothing like that.Something Web 2.0'ish, like my website I suppose, I'm not looking for 3D or gloss, just something flat, simple and nice.Just need to think of a good layout option for it and how to lay out all the information and format text etc.

For the purposes of having a resume, it has always been my view that the simpler the resume, the better. I do think that if you can balance the effect of having your accomplishments and skills jump out of the page and having something easy on the eyes that they won't throw away, then it's a good idea to explore other options besides the craptastic office suite that I used to make mine (ms word). My guess is that you're planning on having this resume more to view online than as something that you'd bring over to employers' offices when you interview. There are a lot of tips on writing good resumes, but none on doing them in photoshop. The reason for this is that resume is designed to put yourself out there instead of having something that looks pretty. Not everyone can get away with what Elle Woods did in Legally Blonde. But it wouldn't hurt to try, right?

I never really took the time to play and have my resume look fancy. I would LOVE to do so, but I was afraid that my employer that was interviewing me would look too much into the design, rather the information contained on it. Now that I am not really pressed for a new job, I think I would like to have a little fun with creating a resume with photoshop additions. I would probably make something interesting resume wise if I was to do something for my Freelancing, not so much if I was to do the 9 to 5 job search.Who am I to judge on this topic... I would just suggest thinking if the place or the job title is relative to a creative outlook... I just wanted to make sure I had the right information rather eye candy.