xisto Community
Sign in to follow this  
Doveshire Designs

Websites With Communities myspace, facebook, yearbook, friendster

I prefer myspace over any other options but whats your opinion...if you had to choose between myspace, myyearbook, facebook and friendster which would you choose as the best? The only nifty thing about myyearbook is the battles and the lunchmoney as ridiculous as it sounds. facebook has a rating system that seems pretty interesting but still in my opinion nothing can compare to the glory of myspace

Myspace is the reason I hated most of these social networking sites for such a long time. I finally broke down and got onto facebook, but only because virtually everyone I know uses it. Frankly they have a lot of positive things going for them, and facebook in particular is pretty well controlled. Myspace, in my opinion, should be shut down. The pages are god awful ugly, the ability to auto play music, movies, etc on loading a page is ridiculous. The moving backgrounds so many people have are nausea educing... etc. Myspace has some good points, and it paved the way for the others, but yea, I still hate it and think it should be destroyed. My retinas have been burned on way too many myspace pages.That said, facebook controls the pages, keeps them fairly uniform, and until the advent of facebook apps, was avoiding stupidity. Now its going downhill a bit but the apps also allow for some pretty ingenious additions so thats cool. I haven't seen much of the others but they didn't seem to offer anything worth nothing really, just basic myspace ripoffs.So yes, personally I dont overly like any of them, of those listed I prefer facebook mostly for social reasons, myspace is disgusting 9 times out of 10, and the others are irrelevant ;)

i hate them all, now im not the type of guy that just says that without backing it up so:The reason I hate them is I signed up because many friends told me to, the moment I signed up I had many random people asking to be my friend and giving me websites to go to (realy annoying)then i went on the myspace forum, everything i posted was either "irrelevent" or "stickied" so i couldnt talk about itapparantly the new Nintendo DS is not allowed in the gaming section because its irrelevent :SThe chatrooms are awful aswell, people constantly swearing and bickering, it just becomes a mess of spams and flames, not my idea of fun.so yeah, that put me off these sites for a long time, then afew months ago a friend told me facebook is far better ect ect.when i signed up i had people who i absolutly hated writing about me, random people asking to be my friend again, i just shut my account after the first day XDId much rather just use sites dedicated to what i want to talk about rather than using those huge sites, the dedicated sites are lots more friendly and welcoming

Over here (Kolkata India), Orkut rules. Every one I know of, has an account at Orkut (Well apparently, not everyone). I remember jumping into the scene about 14 months ago. It seemed quite an interesting prospective back then. Being able to have my own profile page and getting in touch with lost class mates is what drove me in. To tell you the truth, it kind of suprised me to see so many of those old friends to be there even before us. That is when I realized how popular Internet had become for the general public.With time, I have learnt the Pros and Cons of social networking sites such as these. Orkut is so addictive that if you were to ask your brother for a bit of time to talk. He would say, "Sure! Go upstairs and login to Orkut"! I personally use it to get in touch with those lost buddies and not for making new friends.

I completely agree with Jeigh. I haven't used or visited Friendster or MyYearbook, so I can't comment on those, but I have been to MySpace, and I can say that I absolutely hate that site. It has a jumble of all types of media that bogs down the whole page so that it takes about ten years to load one page. The design is horrible, and yes, the animations on some of the backgrounds are so nauseating. Some people have text that are almost the same colour as the background so that it's impossible to read anything, and others write weird comments containing profanity, scams, or some other odd advertisements that you'd usually see in your email junk folder. Just...no. No MySpace. The site should be completely redone or closed down.I signed up with Facebook after receiving ten Facebook invites a week in my inbox for a year. I figured I should sign up since just about everyone I know had signed up already. And back when I signed up, it wasn't so bad. It was controlled, the pages were organized and neat, it loaded quickly, and best of all, you were not driven insane when you looked at a page. But now, I'm scared that it will become a MySpace clone. The introduction of Facebook Apps has allowed users to add a multitude of random little widget-like things on their pages, and for a lot of people, they love adding every single App they come across. The result is that their user page is bogged down and dizzying with all the random things on their page. It's creepy to come across those kinds of pages, and I try to stay away from them. Facebook isn't bad, but I'm afraid of the takeover of insanity-inducing pages.Serena

I signed up with Facebook after receiving ten Facebook invites a week in my inbox for a year. I figured I should sign up since just about everyone I know had signed up already. And back when I signed up, it wasn't so bad. It was controlled, the pages were organized and neat, it loaded quickly, and best of all, you were not driven insane when you looked at a page. But now, I'm scared that it will become a MySpace clone. The introduction of Facebook Apps has allowed users to add a multitude of random little widget-like things on their pages, and for a lot of people, they love adding every single App they come across. The result is that their user page is bogged down and dizzying with all the random things on their page. It's creepy to come across those kinds of pages, and I try to stay away from them. Facebook isn't bad, but I'm afraid of the takeover of insanity-inducing pages.
Serena

I personally don't really use these communities website a lot, however due to friends invitation, I joined. ;)
Anyway Joined Friendster and Facebook but not Myspace or any other kind of site. Friendster is still quite well organized although there's lots of ads around and slow loading time. And whatever function I used friendster to communicate, are there. So pretty much straight to the point. Afterwhich, switch to facebook. Apparently all my friends from friendster switch to facebook. So just follow.. ;)

An interesting function from facebook would be Facebook Apps. I find it pretty cool to look at friends profile in a whole different angle. And the best part of facebook, Ajax. No more long loading time. Anyway facebook just bought over by Microsoft. So just hope that Microsoft won't make it to something like Myspace as what many hates.

I don't like most of these communities. Just not that interesting. I have friends, but it's easier for me to keep in touch with them in real life or over email. Myspace in particular pisses me off. I, like Jeigh, can't stand the videos and music that people really enjoy sticking into their profiles. Every time I load a Myspace page, I'm afraid my computer's going to freeze and die (which it does sometimes). Of course, Myspace is a lot tamer with Firefox, Adblock, Noscript, and Flashblock. That being said, I really feel sorry for all the people who use IE.I have used Friendster before, and it really depends on who you interact with. At least the profiles (when I went a while back) weren't nearly as crazy as Myspace's, so I could accept it. It was a waste of time though, since I preferred not to be constantly prodded by others to become friends, so I chose not to go on.Facebook I haven’t really used, but so far I like the cleanness that it presents its content with. Nothing like Myspace, I can definitely vow. Though I think most of the complaints above are about the userbase rather than the site, I suppose userbase is really just as important as the site (ie semantics, functioning etc). No one wants to go to a place where few people share their interests, or in their terms, act like “annoying idiots”. Or perhaps we could say that a certain website style would attract a certain group of people. Nonetheless, Myspace still fails in terms of both semantics and functioning. (It’s down more often than not, and one look at its markup will reveal how horrid it is. Lots of people have also mentioned the CSS hacks they had to use to get a certain design to work on Myspace. Truly sad.)

I hate community sites. First of all, there are too many of them and everybody uses another one, so it's impossible to have all your friends connected on the same community. Second, the idea of needing a website to show that you have friends is kinda lame, your weird of you need something (and btw. al lot of people even try to have the most 'friends' in their list while they don't even know like 5% of them).