xisto Community
Chesso

Cannot Access Cpanel.

It's been quite some time since I have even tried, but all I am getting is "Unable to connect" in firefox.Also faqs.astahost.com is failing with the same message (main site url and forums them selves seem to work fine....), what is up with different parts failing (it used to happen several times a day with the forums), and it's random at which is working and which isn't lol.Well the forums haven't given me any issue in a long time at least.

the faqs.astahost.com has not been working for a while, but im sure it'll be fixed at some stage. As for the CPanel, it looks like its running fine, something like 114 days! I have no problems connecting, so maybe try again in a few hours. Else, check the nothing is blocking the 2083 port that CPanel uses to connect to. I have seen some firewalls that block ports so the user cannot connect to certain pages (like https pages!)

Well firstly I never use firewalls lol.

Secondly I haven't been able to access it in months (though to be honest, until now I haven't been fussed with it, so rarely tryed and put it down to trying at a bad time)

And thirdly it always attempts to use port 2082 (it always has for me), has this changed........ lol.

UPDATE: 2083 appears to not work either (not in FireFox, nor Internet Explorer, in which I have never tryed to access CPanel from, so there should be no cookie or session issues or the like etc).

Edited by Chesso (see edit history)

CPanel works for me fine and I can't remember anymore the last time it didn't work, long time ago, so I guess it is something on your side, maybe your ISP, which blocks some ports or something like that, if you don't have a firewall, that doesn't mean your ISP doesn't have one, but of course it could be something with your account.. ;)

Not sure, I got plenty of credits and have never gone low enough for it to be minus or even 0, the website it self also works completely, can login and all the php, mysql all update fine.

Firefox nor Internet Explorer can get anything except Unable to connect, I tried port forwarding in my router (to no avail), I don't know about the ISP, but it worked once upon a time and I can't see anything as to why it wouldn't work (I don't have any other issues at all, except possibly for some games, but that's it).

Although it seems to load up in a free web proxy, aside from obvious deficencies because it can't load it all up properly.

Does this mean setting up a browser proxy could work for it? (does anyone know how I can configure a proxy to be used when needed in Firefox..... I haven't ever set one up before lol).

EDIT: I have contacted my ISP and asked them if the issue with this port is on their end or not and if they can fix if at all possible, their pretty layed back and nice generally, so they should be able to do something for me when they can (though it is rather a bit late here), so I'll see if I can still get this proxy stuff going in the mean time, I mostly need it because I wanted to submit some software to a download site (for exposure), which are apart of my site (and listed on my site for members etc with SS and icon etc), their relatively small, but the download site wants links to a description page which I can't fix up at this point without CPanel access).

Edited by Chesso (see edit history)

Yeah I think it was peerguardian..... (even though HTTP it self is not set to block), and comes up some "CoreExpress" entry.I haven't ever had issues with it before..... guess I shouldn't just leave it open all the time now lol.

Well i just test my CPanel with Internet Explorer 6 and every thing works fine at my side.Best regards,

The forum and the hosted sites are on different servers...

The faq.astahost.com site is on the same server as the hosted sites.

If you are blocked on one server, the other servers are not informed. If the xisto network goes down for some reason, all of the servers for xisto are affected.

Additionally, the Xisto and Xisto forum servers are much less security sensitive. This simply means that it takes longer for those servers to block you than the other servers.

Having said that, in order to protect ALL of the hosted websites, the hosting server is set at a greater security sensitivity than the forum servers so if you make a large number of requests on the hosting server from the same IP address in a very short period of time, you IP will be banned automatically. I know this because it happens to me about three times a year. ;) What is worse, is if your page is loading slowly due to high traffic on the hosting server, you might try to load the same page over and over in a short time to avoid the "timeout" feature in most web browsers. Also note that FTP connections are counted in this issue so if you are updating, creating, or testing something for your website, you are at higher risk of this problem.

So to prevent this:

Be Patient - If a page is timedout, wait a second before you try again.

Request Less - If you have more than one page of your website open in your browser windows or tabs, don't try and load / reload more than one of them at a time. multiple requests at the same time is the quickest way to get an IP block since the server thinks you are a bot trying to overwhelm it.

Set Up A Test Server on your local system to try stuff out on instead of the hosting server. This will save you time since you don't have to upload files to preview them.

Don't Freak Out - The server has two stages for this security feature. When you put in too many requests, the flood control suspends your IP for a few minutes to deter automated bots that are trying to overwhelm the server. If you continue to flood the server after you get a temporary block, the server gives you a permanent block.

Once you get yourself banned, there is only one way to get it fixed...

Send a support request to tech support.

cpanel username

forum username

domain name

description of problem

support [at] Xisto - Web Hosting.com

vujsa

Yeah it's working now, it was PeerGuardian blocking it :S, it must have been an update in the lists since I last tried to login to my cPanel, now I just disable it while I'm using it, or shut it off.I also test everything offline (including php/mysql code and setups) and always advise others to do so as well (it can really save a lot of pain, bandwidth and time).